Home

My PS3 Impressions

swphreak

Initial Impressions

It doesn't sound like a jet engine. I'll give Sony props for that,

Bluray

It's pretty cool. It's faster than my friends' Bluray players when it comes to powering on and starting a movie.

Games

inFamous - the only PS3 game I have at the moment. It's an alright game. Nothing earth shattering.

Still searching for other PS3 exclusives to check out.

Demos

First off, I think it's pretty retarded that the PS3 has to "install" demos after downloading them. The whole mandatory install thing is pretty stupid.

Heavenly Sword - Didn't like it. They should have just stuck with ripping off God of War and not try to muck up the controls. I couldn't get used to them.

Warhawk - It was "meh."

Resistance: Fall of Man - Terrible. Has to be the worst FPS I've ever played, and I've played some terrible ones.

Ratchet and Clank Future - Alright. I'd pick it up from the bargain bin.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Again, alright. Will only grab this and the sequel from the bargain bin.

Killzone 2 - Mediocre shooter.

MGS4 - Icky.

Still need to try: Killzone 2, Haze, Metal Gear Solid (not expecting to like that one), LittleBigPlanet (ditto).

Playstation@Store

The shopping cart is convenient. And I like that Sony uses dollars.

Playstation@Home

Eh... I watched some videos in that movie theater place. Not really my thing. I can't believe people are spending actual money on clothes and crap.*

Final Thoughts

A great Bluray player, and an alright gaming system. I'll still be grabbing multiplatform games for the 360, and sticking with exclusives for PS3.

Any PS3 (exclusives) game suggestions?

* Disclaimer, I used leftover Microsoft Points to buy crap for my Xbox Avatar. Not the same thing.

I just scored a PS3 recently for free (special Sony promotion), so i've been trying it out and playing a few games. I'm an old PS2 hand, nuts about RPGs and action games, although I sold my PS2 ages ago, and until recently only had a WII (which is great for fun games and getting your butt off the couch!).

As to the PS3...

Totally agree that the Blu-Ray player is fantastic, btw. On the game front, there are a few good titles...

1. Heavenly Sword: By contrast to you, I really enjoyed Heavenly Sword. Similarly I was mad for the GoW series, but I got the hang of the controls for HS really quickly. The graphics were fantastic, and I found the gameplay enjoyable. It does take a few shots to get your head around it, but once you do, you'll want to keep playing and whacking things.

2. FIFA 10: I'm am a nuts football fan. Only sport I get extremely passionate about (although I don't mind a spot of tennis). So this goes without saying. Great graphics, brilliant gameplay. Love this game. A LOT.

3. Assassin's Creed: Wicked game. Wicked moves, slick gameplay. Kinda reminded me of everything I wished that Price of Persia should have been for the PS2.. but actually is.

4. MGS4: I really really liked this. My friends like it, my mum likes it and my imaginary pet dog likes it. Okay, maybe not my mum or imaginary pet dog. Seriously though, this game is crazy good. What about it didn't you like? The only complaint I have personally is some of the cutscenes are a tad long. But otherwise... it's great.

There are other games that I've heard are good... but I've only had my PS3 for a really short while, so I can only talk on what I've played thus far.

My problem with shooters on the PS3 might be due to the DualShock3 controller (used to 360). I still don't like Resistance. I guess I'm just used to Rainbow Six Vegas and Modern Warfare.

As for MGS4, it's just not my type of game, and I tried it fully expecting to hate it.

My initial complaints of Heavenly Sword is probably extreme, but I just couldn't enjoy the demo. I'll have to replay it a few more times and try to get a hang for the controls.

I made myself a list of PS3 exclusives in notepad, but I forgot to save it.

One game I wish there was a demo for is Lair. If I can find a copy for like 5 or 10 bucks, I'll grab it. Even though every review I've read says it sucks, I gotta try it.

In the Heavenly Sword demo, I couldn't get the hang of the controls, either. However, a couple weeks ago, I found the game at the used bookstore for $10, so I grabbed it. The controls are pretty simple now, and I've found myself going back and replaying levels a lot more than I have with pretty much any other game I've played.

I got Lair last Christmas. I don't really have much trouble with the controls (though I would prefer using the joysticks over the motion sensors), but even though the graphics are stunning, they're all brown and dark red (with a little blue thrown in when water's involved). I have yet to beat the second level, simply because I have trouble finding the stuff I need to destroy. It's actually rather embarrassing. :lol:

I'm pretty sure none of the other games I have are PS3 exclusives, so I'll stop here. ;)

I also got my PS3 for free with the Bravia promotion down here but it was some time ago now.

Bluray is awesome on the PS3 (via HDMI, why would anyone do it any other way?) but I think props also need to go to the PS3's DVD upscaling capabilities which is EXCELLENT.

The only games I have are PS3 exclusives, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Valkyria Chronicles.

I mostly use my PS3 to play Bluray lol. I have a tonne of Blurays now.

First of all I'm gonna have to back Lynk and say that the PS3 upscales DVD's like a ****ing champ. I guess I'll just list my PS3 exclusives with quick blurbs.

inFamous - You already have it

Killzone 2 - You've already played it, I thought the online was pretty solid but after having played online FPS games on the PC, no console counterparts can compare anymore.

LittleBIGPlanet - kind of like a Mario substitute, the core is a solid platformer, with a little bit of physics based gameplay and puzzles, the basic levels that the developers made are great, but the true value of the game is the wealth of user-generated levels out there, most are crap but there are some amazing gems out there. Also the game is a about 10 times funner playing with others, preferably with people in the same room with you. As a side note, the game has some issues with online play being laggy, but rumor has it that they are working on a large update that will fix that as well as add other features.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - You've tried it.

Ratchet and Clank Future: ToD and ACiT - Both are really fun games, with family friendly humor, they're sort of like action platformers I guess you could say.

Uncharted 1 & 2 - I dunno how you think they're only bargain bin pick-ups, Uncharted 2 is the only game, I've ever just sit and watched someone else play the entire way through. You just can't help but feel attached to the characters.

SOCOM: Confrontation - nothing special same old SOCOM, except there is no single-player element, I got it for the official Sony Headset.

Valkyria Chronicles - I don't care if you hate Tactical RPG's, anyone with a PS3 must get this game simply because I say so. :carms:

Resistance 1 & 2 - Standard FPS games, I guess the thing you could say attempts to differentiate the games from other FPS's would be the weapons, they tend to be quirky in traditional Insomniac style (Ratchet series)

Demon's Souls - I've put over 80 hours into this game, it's a dungeon crawler RPG, I'm told it's similar to Diablo, but I've never played that, so yeah.

Oh also, as far as the game Lair goes, I've never played it, but from what I understand the major issue most had with the game was its forced use of the SIXAXIS motion controls, but IIRC the developers released a patch that lets you play the game with your basic joystick controls. That's not to say that makes it an instant purchase though.

Uncharted and MSG4, and possibly Infamous, are basically the lifeblood of the PS3. It has some other exclusives like Killzone and such, but those can be traded for other generic members of its genre like Modern Warfare. Everything else is multiplatform, and the PS3 is quite well known for being the under performer (performance wise) across multiplatform games.

Basically, if you didn't like MSG4 and didn't really like Drakes Fortune enough to pay anything higher than bargin bin... well, then basically you got yourself an outdated blu-ray player because that is about as good as games get on the PS3. Any other game you are better off getting on the 360 since the ports often trip on themselves, and the DLC content is released more often on the 360, as well as sooner.

It'll play DVDs like a champion but Blu-ray disks (games and movies) tend to have low write and read speed due to the PS3 having a cheaper and slower Blu-ray drive than what can be found on the market currently. Its partially why many games tend to run slower on the PS3.

Actually, considering you did not like the action oriented games on the PS3 I'd recommend finding LittleBigPlanet or Valkyria Chronicles if those are closer to your tastes. If they are just not hardcore enough, try Demon's souls. Probably one of the more difficult games of the year.

Other than that... not much else to say. Sony has stated as much to imply the PS3 is their next generation console and they wont be making another to replace it in 2011, so hold onto it in hopes it does better in a few years unless they wise up and make a new console.

On the other hand, there are a few good titles coming up like God of War 3.

Valkyria Chronicles - I don't care if you hate Tactical RPG's, anyone with a PS3 must get this game simply because I say so. :carms:

I like tactical RPGs fine, but I haven't really looked at the Valkyria Chronicles much, 'cuz I don't really like the way the game and the characters look, and because Final Fantasy seems to fill the bill on everything I've heard about Valkyria, 'cept the graphics are a bit better. (Since I've never played Valkyria, the comparison to Final Fantasy is probably dead wrong...)

Ah, well. If I find it at the used bookstore for a decent price, I'll get it.

All the reviews do talk really highly of Valkyria Chronicles. I've heard a few rumblings about the AI being a bit dodgy, but that it's overshadowed by nice graphics, a good storyline, and generally good gameplay. Worth a gander, at least. Luckily a friend of mine just got a copy the other day... so I'll nick his for a day or so (or just play it at his house) before I make the decision to buy it.

Only 4 more months till FF13 comes out on PS3. :)

And Demon's Souls looks amazing. I hadn't heard of that one before. Thanks for the tip Mav!

Archived