Home

League Cup

Well, the quarterfinals are over and I can safely say I predicted three of the four results... but my beloved Chelsea were summarily beaten due to a bit of risk-taking on the line-up.

For the boring matches.... (for me):

Man Utd v Tottenham: No surprises. Saw that coming.. although I did think Tottenham would play an entire senior side and give the United youngsters a bit more trouble.

Portsmouth v Aston Villa: Also no surprise. Portsmouth are fairly rubbish right now, and Villa are playing pretty well and have a very good record in the Cup.

The exciting matches... (again for me):

Chelsea v Blackburn: Ancelotti played a less than optimal side, also tried a completely different formation. Neither of which really worked and Blackburn to their credit outplayed Chelski completely. Anco then made three subs bang on halftime... a risky proposition if you ask me, which also blew up when Kalou got injured and limped off leaving us with 10 men. Still took it all the way to a penalty shootout, but I honestly think the better team won. Bombing out of the Carling Cup isn't a big deal, and I really would love to see either Blackburn or Villa go all the way.

Arsenal v Man City: Like that was a surprise. One team is still hopeful of getting the Premier League (albeit it's a big ask now) and Champions League, and couldn't seem to care less about the Cup, whilst the other have no hope in hell of getting anything other than the Cup. So it was no surprise that Man City fielded their entire senior squad against a very young and inexperienced Arsenal lineup. They hammered poor old Arsenal every which way. Funny thing though, is if Wenger was so unconcerned about the Cup, why did he storm off the pitch in a hissy fit, refusing to shake Hughes' hand, and then be a prat in the press conference afterwards? Sore loser...

Still who doesn't enjoy watching a hissy fit every now and again on the telly? ;)

So did anyone else watch any of the Cup matches? Thoughts?

Be a Blackburn fan, suffice to say I was delighted! I'm hoping whoever wins our semi final (with Villa) goes on to win the cup. Chelsea got the just deserts, they were poor apart from a 10 min spell just after half-time - I don't think they deserved 3 goals - when they equalised I thought it was curtains all credit to the boys for coming back!

I didn't really care much when Blackburn knocked us out, I don't care much for the league cup.

It's stupid that they made a Manchester derby in the semis. The other teams are fairly weak, and should've put them up against the two Manchesters, so that we get to watch a Manchester derby in the final.

Archived