Home

Previews Abound for The Old Republic

News

Today many websites have posted their hands-on impressions of Star Wars: The Old Republic after getting to play the game at press events during November. Below all the previews have been compiled from the official forums: Quote from SeanDahlberg (Source) As some of you already know, we had two press events last month; one in [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net...

kaboom

Goodness. Lots of info on the Inquisitor/Consular/Companions/TalentTrees to dissect.

Still not whole convinced on the difference between Inquisitor/Warrior and Consular/Knight combos although they did attempt to address some of it. I guess I'll just have to wait. I'm just not sure how the stories are going to be different enough. Even the combat sounded somewhat similar. As Hater mentioned in the Inquisitor dissection, in order to be truely effective the Inquisitor couldn't stay at range, he had to engage enemies with his lightsaber as well. So the combat will be more of Force first and then move in for a saber kill after they've been neutralized or their HP has been taken down. Instead of the warrior's Force augmented saber fights...They just seem so similar right now.

Also sounds like they arn't going to have droid companions either from what they mentioned on Hater after they addressed the failed expectations of a droid class. They were saying you'd be able to have a companion address all of the classes and such that they'd initially considered as major classes with the exception of the droid.

Glad to see the glut of information, but it's all just making me more uncomfortable rather than selling me on it at this point. I'm in it for the long haul though so despite the questions I'm not about to jump ship at this point this early.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I do not really like the comparisons they have made with the classes to movie characters with respect to the Jedi classes. They say that Obi-Wan and Yoda were consulars, and yet Yoda was the best swordsman in the galaxy and Obi-Wan as at least as skilled as Anakin at lightsaber combat. Same with Qui-Gon, you don't really see him use many force powers, and he could hold his own against Darth Maul for a while. I see what they mean where Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon go on diplomatic missions while Mace Windu kills guys, but no so much about combat. I also don't like how they named the classes, while Jedi Knight does sound cool, it is not equivalent to Consular, all Jedi above padawans are Jedi Knights but Consular is a specialization.

I'm writing up a "what we have learned so far" post from all these previews, so if you are too lazy to read them all, look forward to that later today.

Archived