Home

Broken Sword on Steam

Capn_Nacho

I wanted to tell you guys about this, sorry if somebody else has already mentioned it. Has anybody noticed that Broken Sword 2&3 are now on Steam (as of December 2nd)? They are $5.99 each. Sounds pretty sweet!

I assume Shadow of the Templars faces licensing issues due to the Wii version or something like that, but it's a shame that it isn't available too.

I did notice that yesterday, but I assumed they'd probably been available for a while. Broken Sword 2, at least, is certainly a must-buy.

Maybe the updated version of Broken Sword 1 may appear on Steam sometime in the future?

Like I said, they've only been up for a few days and with basically no fanfare. I've actually never played 2, though I'm proud to have both the PC and GBA versions of 1. (The GBA version was adorable.)

And yeah, 3 wasn't the best. I thought things about it were terrific, but that they made a few nasty missteps... especially the cartoonishly repetitive block-pushing puzzles. I've also yet to play 4 (the Angel of Death) and know next to nothing about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Two is awesome, you should totally play it.

Really? It has a pretty average score on metacritic, with especially harsh reviews from dedicated adventure games review sites. I was just looking at these games since they are 25% off on Steam till the end of the week. Too bad the first one isn't on there, I've only played it on the GBA.

I bought it and it's funny, actually, because it's a package of the game's files with a version of ScummVM, but it's put together wrong and the cinematics don't work when you play it directly from Steam. It just gives you the "Cutscene- Narration Only" dialogue and directs you to ScummVM.org to download the cinematics. I ended up just running the packaged files with ScummVM 1.0.0.

Damn, that's a bummer. So I take it that you get cutscenes if you just run it through the latest ScummVM? All the users on the Steam forums say the game tells you to go to ScummVM to download the cutscene pack there, which everybody is doing.

In any case its a lost sale from me. When I buy from Steam I expect it to fully work with no additional patching or downloads, right from the Steam menu, otherwise I won't buy it.

Archived