Home

DennisN

Hiya,

Maybe someone knows of this problem;

I started this ticket with Aspyr last week. Untill now no response has come and the ticket's status is still "new" and "unassigned".

Just bought The Force Unleashed.

But it won't save.

When I start it, it says:

"Load failed. This save game appears to be damaged and cannot be used."

No options in that error dialog works beside "Continue without save".

The game has created a SWTFU.BIN file in my documents, but the file is empty. When I delete the file, the game crashes next time I start it.

I've installed patch 1.1 from the Aspyr site, to no avail.

What to do? I love the game, but in this way I can't play...

Hi,

me and many other users got the same problem.

I already patched my game to v. 1.1 but the problem is

still the same, i can't save any game and it crashed by

using the autosave.

Is there any solution to get the game working?

My PC:

-Intel E8400 Duo-Core

-Nvidia Geforce 9800GT (with 1GB)

-3000 MB Ram

-Windows XP Professionell

I hope anyone can help me :S

Ok, just re-installed the game. Did not work.

Here is a litle bit from my DX diagnostics:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)

Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)

System Manufacturer: ASUSTEK COMPUTER INC

System Model: P5W DH Deluxe

BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/26/06 12:52:11 Ver: 08.00.12

Processor: Intel® Core2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Page File: 1061MB used, 2880MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Video Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Display Memory: 640.0 MB

This is just about the req's Aspyr has given, but I'm finding no difficulties running the game in 1280x1024 resolution.

Besides, I wonder how system specs can influence the save alone.

It seems the program is not able to reach the save file, like it is not permitted somehow.

Today Aspyr replied with the following:

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

We have run several test cases and have not yet been able to replicate the issue. We are still looking into the issue and will hopefully have a solution soon. We thank you for your continued patience in this matter.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

That's fine on it's own, but with that reaction, they put the ticket to "Resolved" :¬:

Anyway, indeed like Malak said, if more people can raise a ticket, perhaps they'll pay more attention to the issue. And they might find a common cause when more people raise it.

Does anyone know of some monitoring tool maybe?

Because it seems that the game is trying to acces the save file and it is not permitted somehow. (Allready tried while I turned off my Zonealarm, didn't help)

Is there some tool I could use to see in detail what the game is trying to do with that file?

Hmmz,

It found a log file which SWTFU is writing when I start the game.

I think this is the error which is causing the game to be unable to save:

[12/06/09 01:56:03]

Version: 1.0.93049

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (Read of 0x00000000)

[00000000]

[7C7FBDBB]

[7C90E457]

[7C7D1A53]

[04B60CF8]

[04B61276]

[04B612E4]

[04B57EDE]

[04B4AA88]

[04B4AAE6]

[012E5C00]

[011636C0]

[55E8284E]

Can anyone make some sense from this?

I used to have the same problem but finally got hold of Aspyr, and they found a way to fix it .. By not if it works because I have not had time to try .. but it should ...

Message from aspyr...

Hello Kris,

Thank you for contacting Aspyr Tech Support!

This error has only been observed when the game is installed when anti-virus and firewall (Windows and 3rd party) settings are activated. Please uninstall the game and deactivate these settings (ie., AVG, Avira, ZoneAlarm). Double check your 'Processes' tab on your Task Manager.

Then click on Start --> Run and typing %temp%. When the window opens, delete as many of the files in that folder as you can.

Then reinstall the game.

Feel free to contact us with any further comments or issues.

Thank you,

Aspyr Tech Support

Yeah, I experimented somewhat myself as well.

I tried de-installing, then removing all registry keys named SWTFU, Unleached and Aspyr. Then reinstalling while Zonealarm was off. Didn't work.

I also provided Aspyr with some logging using ProcMon (ProcesMonitor). It shows that SWTFU is trying to open the SWTFU.BIN file, succesfully also, but somehow the game still thinks the file is corrupted.

It shows all kind of file and registry addressing. A lot of files which are not present on the machine though. Perhaps a lot of rudimental file addressing which was used during development? :confused:

Perhaps Aspyr can make some sense out of that logging though.

Anyway, I tried installing the game on my parents pc. It runs like a slideshow, but it could save there :migraine:.

I worry that it is due to the OS installation somehow. I also worry that maybe it could be solved by reinstalling windows. Ow and how I hate to do that. :(

I'm going to try this coming weekend though. Hopefully it will have a happy ending after all.

Did you guys try to save games before installing the patch? I've rarely seen an OS installation prevent a game from running...so i wouldnt try that just yet. At least make a ghost/backup of the root drive if you choose to do so.

On my initial install, the .NET framework 3.0 SP2 install failed to complete (i didnt get any error messages), the game still worked but i couldnt use the launcher and it prevented the patch to install properly.

Hi,

I checked my .Net installations and it says that they are installed correctly, up untill 3.5 SP1. I tried to deinstall (to be able to reinstall) but it complained about other applications depending on them.

Anyway, I dumped some files. I can only hope that someone with knowhow can make something of it.

(Put some shades on when clicking these links) :songsmile

SWTFU error log

DX Diagnostic file

ProcMon logfile (csv)

ProcMon logfile (xls)

Regards,

I noticed at least two of you guys have tried running it on Win XP Professional. Why not try running it on another OS like: Win XP Home Edition or Vista just for kicks and see if that helps. I don't know if you can get access to those other Operating Systems, like a friends or another relative's, etc, but it's worth a try.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but I know the XP Professional versions have a whole lot more stuff/fluff to it than the Home Editions, which may be conflicting with the games files or something. In other words the game and your Pro version may not cooperate with each other because of certain files and whatever else between the two of them.

new message from aspyr today :)

Aspyr Technical Support Test Case:

Ticket #ACO-80694-940: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed/Load Fail Error, Unable to Save

Issue/Bug: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed/Load Fail Error, Unable to Save

Configuration tested:

CPU: Intel Core Duo 1.8 GHz

RAM: 2 GB

Video Card: Radeon 4550

Test Case;

Installed Avira and ZoneAlarm

Installed Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Launched Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Selected '800x600', 'Keyboard and Mouse', 'Play'

After splash screens, game crashes to desktop

After splash screen, 'Load Failed' error generates

Select 'Continue without loading' (only option available to select)

'Continue without saving' option generates, select 'Accept'

Select 'Quit'

Uninstalled ZoneAlarm, Deactivated Avira

Uninstalled Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Opened Start Menu, Run.

Input %temp%, delete all files in that directory

Restarted the computer

Reinstalled Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

After splash screens, menu appears as expected.

Saves are allowed throughout following game play.

Expected Result:

Load Fail Error generates and does not allow Star Wars: The Force Unleashed to save games when using 3rd party firewall/antivirus software

Results:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed allows save games when reinstalled with 3rd party firewall/antivirus software deactivated/uninstalled

Recommendations:

The software most commonly observed to generate this error is ZoneAlarm. However, the software can vary. Please check your processes to ensure that only base Windows operations are present and the %temp% directory is clear before installing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. We have attached the testing machine's dxdiag for your review.

Yeah good news, but it didn't work. :rolleyes:

I got a similar reply from Aspyr by the way.

Turned off my Zonealarm security (after turning off network connections ;) ), installed the game. Started initially while still turned off.

Couldn't save.

I'm trying the OS tomorrow or sunday perhaps.

Just curious, because perhaps Purifier is right, do some people have this game running and saving on Win XP Prof?

Hey Dennis,

u have to uninstall ZoneAlarm.

Otherwise it wont work ;-)

The real question is, once he's installed the game, will he be able to reinstall Zonealarm, or will he have to use another firewall, like Psyk0Sith suggested? :confused:

If it's the latter, that doesn't really seem like a solution to me, more like a workaround.

My question is: Why would you need to uninstall it (ZoneAlarm), I mean that doesn't make any sense to me. Usually when you have a antivirus program interfering/conflicting with your game, you would just disconnect your internet connection and turn off the antivirus program itself.

That's what I've always done in the past and everything worked fine after that, but I've never had to uninstall any of my antivirus programs. Hell, they even tell you to do that (turn it off) in most of the game manuals and sometimes when you go to install the game itself at the beginning of the installment.

Well anyway like I said; that really doesn't make any sense to me. :confused:

Archived