Home

Spike TV 2009 VGA on Dec. 12th

Darth Avlectus

Figuring this is a gaming website, the talk all over here in 8 days will be about the video game awards as well as upcoming announcements and unveilings. Well, I figure here and now let's start with our own commentary. Here where OUR voices matter. (Who knows, maybe LF one day will get enough internet prestige for the mainstream to listen to us--though I doubt it for now. :lol:)

Now I haven't seen Spike's VGA's yet in the past but I do know there are numerous categories and awards for games. So I guess I'm asking all of you what your in depth opinions and reviews are for the games released since this time last year. Sort of consumer reports and recommendations and of course any fun stuff you want to bring up.

Also, we will (of course) discuss spike TV's VGA show.

Speculations, critiques and anticipaitons are welcome. It's your findings, your opinions, your voice on LF. Give recognition So at that, discuss.

Within the past year or so (more or less) the releases I have observed and or taken interest in:

Mega Man 9: So, capcom decided to give its old school core fanbase a little treat. Sure, say what you will--the usual criticism: Meh 2-d platformer, played one played them all, blah blah blah. Still, I think this one deserves some kind of recognition for the release of a new title while retaining its old retro challenge and feel. Giving both the old generation a reminiscent flashback, and the new generation a taste of what the 80's NES gameplay was like. I'd give it the Retro gaming 'new-old' award.

It was nice to see it in 8 bit once again, and the engine nearly the same but perhaps better. Old mechanics, new characters and challenges. Apparently it is one of the hardest most frustrating titles out there but for veteran players of the old NES games it should prove a worthy and fun challenge

Street Fighter 4: For what little time I had left in my xbox360 I did finally get it to play this game once. I swear this has to be one of the greatest continuations thrown at the SF franchise in the longest time. Splendid graphics--even prettier than the pictures they were presented on. Loved the definitions and cell-shading, very smooth. The controls' mechanics were a dream. Considering the extent of my exp. is with the various incarnations of SF2 and one play of SF EX3, the way it was made I still felt familiar enough to be able to do things competently and get somewhere. Fun but challenging. So far as these type of games go, I loved the character roster and the stories were built and improved upon the past which pleased me greatly.

I'm one of those who had affairs with other fighting games through the years: KOF, DOA, Tekken, I'd even put some wrestling games in this category. All its rivals have some major catching up to do in this competition. Still have yet to play KOF12.

Just my entries for now.

Noice of you to make this thread, I was going to make one earlier today.

I am of course, interested primarily in the Star Wars game, but it's looking to be an exciting night regardless. There's going to be the reveal for the reboot of Medal of Honor, as well as 2K Boston's next game. And then there's all the other rumoured appearances, such as Dead Space 2 or Deus Ex 3.

Noice of you to make this thread, I was going to make one earlier today.

I am of course, interested primarily in the Star Wars game, but it's looking to be an exciting night regardless. There's going to be the reveal for the reboot of Medal of Honor, as well as 2K Boston's next game. And then there's all the other rumoured appearances, such as Dead Space 2 or Deus Ex 3.

Ooh, did not know about the bit about 2K Boston. I've been interested to find out what Ken Levine has been working on for quite a while now.

I hope the new Star Wars game isn't a free-to-play Clone Wars MMO, otherwise just about anything is fine with me.

Also, I voted for the VGAs, and I think it'd ridiculous that Dragon Age isn't up for game of the year and Resident Evil 5 isn't up for best graphics.

Ooh, did not know about the bit about 2K Boston. I've been interested to find out what Ken Levine has been working on for quite a while now.

There was a leaked trailer of it floating about the Internet, that was seen again in the preview for the upcoming reveal at VGA 2009. It's supposedly set in a post-apocalyptic Dubai where you'll be in a group of commando-like people wandering the wasteland.

Sounds too generic for 2K Boston, but it's definitely what they're doing. Makes me go :confused:

^^^^

here's an idea for devs: how about creating a game where we're caught in the middle of an apocalypse for once?? just think: what would happen if a nuke went off in Liberty City in the middle of GTA IV??

at any rate, there's been a good number of games out there this year. the best ones i've played:

Borderlands

Forza Motorsport 3

Halo 3: ODST

Assassin's Creed 2

Dragon Age: Origins

Left 4 Dead 2

Prototype

here's an idea for devs: how about creating a game where we're caught in the middle of an apocalypse for once?? just think: what would happen if a nuke went off in Liberty City in the middle of GTA IV??

Modern Warfare begs to differ >_>

But yes, we really need a good game set in an apocalyptic situation. I'm hoping it would be I am Alive, but I hardly hear anything of the game. We need a good game where crazy **** is happening and everything's unpredictable and you need to get the **** out.

I just downloaded saw a clip of what looks like will be a downloadable add-on to Street Fighter 4: SUPER.......I have to go change my pants now.

I just got to witness Dragon Age at a friend's house. He got it for his wife and I tell ya she was quite pleased. A few bugs, but otherwise magnificent. My pal is getting lucky tonight, for sure.

==================================

^^^^

GAME OVER

:p

Or a more action version of Fallout 3 scenario? Not game over if you're the one pushing the big red button--or you survive the fallout! :fist:

==================================

I wonder where KOF 12 will fit in.

Did someone say Half Life 2: Ep 3?! Sounds hawt.

Part of me also salavates for a new DarkStalkers by Capcom. Or a new Metroid to be announced (Yes, I'm fully aware of "the other M", I'm talking beyond that!).

Was there anything in the Armored Core/Mech Warrior lineup that anyone knew of???

How

The

Hell

Is

Marek

Alive

Well Lucasarts, I'd like to see you explain this one.

For once I'm actually agreeing with these two. LucasArts seems to have its target set on rock bottom if its bringing Marek back.

Ah well. If they make the game moddable someone might be able to make a decent TC for it.

I dunno...the pic on the website: unleashed2010.com doesn't quite look like Marek...

Yea, his face looks a bit more angular now. Still...it couldn't be a different person. What are the chances of finding someone who a) is incredibly powerful, b) looks like Galen Marek, c) knows Darth Vader, and d) heard Juno say "Will I ever see you again?"

Or maybe they just threw all those lines into the trailer to get people interested. ;)

Ah well. If they make the game moddable someone might be able to make a decent TC for it.

The PC release of TFU was one of the worst quality ports in years. They'll have to try a bit harder this time if there's gonna be any modding.

I just read about the first Unleashed on wikipedia and it said the main character dies in the end. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Just read some of the posts up above, apparently I'm not the only one wondering :p

After reading this from the lucasarts website, I am completely lost as to how the sequel will unfold:

With Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, the epic story continues as players once again assume the role of the devastatingly powerful Starkiller - Darth Vader's secret apprentice set during the largely unexplored era between Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

edit: Someone else brought up an interesting theory: LA could retcon Yoda's "There is another" quote, to relate to Starkiller instead of Leia, but imo, that would suck pretty bad.

Archived