Home

GameInformer Talks Revan with Daniel Erickson

adamqd

The lead writer doesn't know a damn what he's talking about; Revan was never an "emissary" for the True Sith. Revan called himself and the Republic forces under his command "Sith" to usurp the Republic's dominion, in an effort to build a strong, central government to withstand the eventual True Sith onslaught. Honestly, I hope that Mr. Erickson only misspoke, as his statement equates to a retcon of KotOR 2 proper, save the True Sith concept.

What I don't think the developers are understanding is that a Jedi Consular is a Jedi Knight. It's a specialized office within the rank. The way they describe the Jedi Knight sounds more like a Jedi Guardian. For this reason, I hope they change the name, offering classes such as "Jedi Knight: Guardian" and "Jedi Knight: Consular."

Also, the only way I can see Revan, Malak and their followers (just the dark Force users, not the foot soldiers) not being "real Sith" is if they did not have the Sith they conquered on Korriban ordain then into their lineage. You see, we know from The Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide that Revan and Malak declared themselves the Lords of the Sith before going to Korriban and conquering what remained of Exar Kun's Sith (and Kun, in turn, was ordained a Sith by the spirit of Marka Ragnos, making him of the same unbroken line of succession). That would mean that Revan and Malak were indeed self-proclaimed Sith in name only at the point of their declaration. Once they conquered Kun's Sith (who truly were true Sith), if they wanted those titles to be valid, they would have had to have forced one of the Sith Lords they conquered to ordain them into their dark order, and then go on to rule over them, Revan being a true Dark Lord. If this did not happen and Kun's Sith were merely destroyed, then yes, Revan and his followers were not Sith.

This, in turn, would mean that the only "true Sith" within the Sith Triumvirate in The Sith Lords was Darth Sion, since the KOTOR Guide says that he originally served under Exar Kun. No wonder the dude was pissed off all the time: he had to bow down to Traya, and then Nihilus, both of whom were "fake Sith."

Anyway, I theorize that if they are going down this particular road, that it will be from the "true Sith Empire" that the line of succession from Ruin to Bane to Palpatine will come, and not from Revan's. Although that makes it sort of problematic because Revan was the primary person responsible for Bane's shaping of the Rule of Two, and Bane even praised Revan as a "true Sith."

Anyway, those are my musings for this evening. Kudos to anyone who has the faintest clue as to what I'm talking about.

It's possible that Revan came back to the known galaxy, said '**** that ****,' and proceeded to take over the Republic for himself. Mayhaps he actually did the whole 'leave the Republic in fighting condition' thing so he could take on the Sith Lords when they eventually decided to go after him.

I don't think Erikson actually played either game tbh lol, and his questionable history lesson lends itself to this (What seems to be a) Re-launch of all parts of Star Wars for a not in the know fan base. But, the game itself will tell the tale.

Also, He seemed like he was caught off guard with the Revan subject, as he stuttered, and his story changed a bit from start to finish, ie; Revan and Malak were sith, then they werent then they were... I think he was probobly just trying to Big-up the characters in HIS Story, unfortunately at the expense of ours :)

I don't like the idea of Revan being the Sith Emperor. It sort of undermines the light side ending to KOTOR and all he fought for if he just falls to the dark side and rules over the Sith again.

People need to get off of their Revan fetish, I think. They want him to be this super person who is responsible for, and involved in, absolutely everything. I think that's quite cheesy, if you ask me.

I must have missed the part about Revan and Malak serving the Emperor when I typed up my last post, but I actually don't really have much of a problem with this (mainly because I was never a Revan groupie and always thought he was a bit overrated, actually liking Malak better), and it may actually solve the problem I mentioned of the whole true-Sith-false-Sith. Revan and Malak may have been ordained as Sith by the Emperor, and the Revan, and Malak after him, were only puppet Dark Lords in service to the big Dark Lord of the Sith: the Emperor.

I don't like the idea of Revan being the Sith Emperor. It sort of undermines the light side ending to KOTOR and all he fought for if he just falls to the dark side and rules over the Sith again.

People need to get off of their Revan fetish, I think. They want him to be this super person who is responsible for, and involved in, absolutely everything. I think that's quite cheesy, if you ask me.

I must have missed the part about Revan and Malak serving the Emperor when I typed up my last post, but I actually don't really have much of a problem with this (mainly because I was never a Revan groupie and always thought he was a bit overrated, actually liking Malak better), and it may actually solve the problem I mentioned of the whole true-Sith-false-Sith. Revan and Malak may have been ordained as Sith by the Emperor, and the Revan, and Malak after him, were only puppet Dark Lords in service to the big Dark Lord of the Sith: the Emperor.

^ That. Stories adapt in this universe. We've seen it time and time again. I'm OK with Bioware re-writing, slightly, what Bioware wrote in the first place.

^ That. Stories adapt in this universe. We've seen it time and time again. I'm OK with Bioware re-writing, slightly, what Bioware wrote in the first place.
Ah, no. The entire "True Sith" concept; the ultimate motives of Revan; etc., were all written by Obsidian for KotOR 2. Therefore, it's already been established as canon, and for the past five years now, to boot. So... it would would constitute a retcon, and one of someone else's contribution to an intellectual property, without the author's consent or approval.

Isn't the whole canon thing in the hands of Lucas Arts. IIRC, the whole Lucas mostly keeps a close eye on what gets written and drawn.

Doesn't each game, comic & book pass a certain "test";before launching it.

Its really strange, they don't care about it anymore.

Its just painfull when a franchise needs retcons and reboots. Just creates a reall mess.

Plus its doublely painfull to hear, that in most vids Bioware so far released, music of TSL gets used a lot!

Really each vid so far had a few melodies taken from TSL, next to the usuall tones of the films.

That just kind of sits wrong with me, they ditch the whole story and background of TSL, but can rip the music? pppffff...

EDIT: What's the most disturbing of this rewrite is that's kinda lame. But, I'll keep bying optimistic.

To early to go, bitch, moan and whine, for something that isn't released.

Ah man...the Revan fanboys will be SO pissed that he was serving someone else.

This does...ruin the Kotor 1 story and feel though :(

I had hoped the game would, some months into the story, release a content patch in which you trail Revan's story back to the source and receive some nice story items (Telos Survivor Band anyone? Taris Duelling Champion Crown etc) and a raid instance where some Dark Side cult is worshipping Revan.

Something NOT ruining Revan but rather enforcing he was important BUT gone in this game.

This ruins Revan and shows he was just a pawn of what you are fighting now.

Isn't the whole canon thing in the hands of Lucas Arts. IIRC, the whole Lucas mostly keeps a close eye on what gets written and drawn.

Doesn't each game, comic & book pass a certain "test";before launching it.

Its really strange, they don't care about it anymore.

I think Lucas has either lost some of this control or is slacking off, particularly in the case of an MMO, which by nature is hard to keep canon, and with the kid-oriented "Clone Wars" series. I have always praised Lucas for trying to keep most things canon, when most major series don't even bother. But of late I think he's been backing off or his company has pushed him back in order to just make more money.

I think Lucas has either lost some of this control or is slacking off, particularly in the case of an MMO, which by nature is hard to keep canon, and with the kid-oriented "Clone Wars" series. I have always praised Lucas for trying to keep most things canon, when most major series don't even bother. But of late I think he's been backing off or his company has pushed him back in order to just make more money.

He's always been 'hands off' with the EU, having relatively little to do with canon beyond the Films and TV Series. He might drop in a word from time to time, but I think it's mostly up to Lucas Licensing.

"I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."

Although I do believe he's consulted over the big decisions (such as the death of main characters from the film).

I think it's mostly up to Lucas Licensing.

Ah, yes, its those people I mean :p

I always thought the EU of Star Wars was rather nicely done, because there where so few retcons and odd bits in it. It all hangs together in a nice way.

Though I guess that has made way for the cash cow now. But I'll keep half an eye open on this game, it could be this person is just talking "crap", as he's not allowed to say much.

I'm sure Bioware has some other top-dogs that keep watch, to ensure decent quality. Anyway, if it turns out bad, nobody forces me to play it or believe this is the true story.

There is far far less retcon trouble than people believe... People just google "EU" and get blogs bitchin about Convoluted timelines and retcon, 80% of retcon is due to GL changing his films and plot points (Ruusan Reformation) or making Cartoons in era's already covered (His prerogative, but still).

Revan, Although Property of Lucas, is still Biowares invention, and they are back as holders of the Contract again, so, Not Ideal (And still questionable, as the game isn't out yet) but kinda moot... Obsidian and Avellone are a non factor

Archived