Home

RUMOR: Star Wars Legends?

Nedak

The Australian Classification Board has unveiled a page describing a new Star Wars game we hadn't heard about before: Star Wars: Legends.

The title was added in June for classification and has received the "Mature Rating" for "Fantasy Violence". The game is listed as internal LucasArts project with as publisher Activision.

http://www.fragland.net/news/New-Star-Wars-Game/21692/

Not the new JK I was looking for if it's true. :mad:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet, maybe LA's going to come up with a brand-new storyline or something. Here's hoping for something not quite as grandiose and epic in scale as TFU (we don't need two in a row), but as original as that or the Jedi Knight series.

Also, I'd say it's about time LA started at least approaching the M rating. We've had enough coddling of the player in recent games (absolutely no lightsaber cutting ability, despite it being present in the movies).

Randomly, I'd be all for a Call of Duty-esque game set in the Star Wars universe.

Meh. Some M-rated games are okay (I don't care for rivers of blood, but a little amputation with lightsabers would be okay--especially since lightsabers and blaster wounds don't bleed. ;)) I just don't want a bunch of sex in Star Wars games. In the books (the ones that I've read), it's implied, sure, but not shown. The most I've seen of Han and Leia's post-marriage relationship has been a) waking up in the same bed in the middle of the night and having a discussion, b) reference to them sleeping together the night before she leaves to go somewhere, and c) they have kids, so duh. Even in Han's younger days, his physical relationships with his girlfriends are kept in the 'implied' area.

The main reason I don't want to have one M-rated Star Wars game is this: if they make one that's rated for dismemberment, why not make another game, this one rated M for sexual content/themes?

Hope that made sense. :lol:

^ Yep. Endorenna summed it up pretty well. Star Wars is more adventure and less drama, it should never be gushier than any of the scenes from Empire Strikes Back.

I reckon the Jedi Knight games could probably get an M rating today. They were darker, more violent... dismemberment.

I suppose it's that game talked about which shall be anounced on the 12th? :confused:

Article

The Australian Classification Board has unveiled a page describing a new Star Wars game we hadn't heard about before: Star Wars: Legends.

The title was added in June for classification and has received the "Mature Rating" for "Fantasy Violence". The game is listed as internal LucasArts project with as publisher Activision.

A new Star Wars game by LucasArts with adult content but banned in Australia? Sounds very much like little action other than Yoda and Darth Vader touching each other's light sabers.

Maybe that saber-dueling game for the wii that was rumored about in game informer, but IIRC that was already released, wasn't it?

@ cire992: I agree. Lighsaber dismemberment is just totally kid friendly. :p

The ratings down here for vidya goes as follows...

G

PG

M

MA15+

M, of course, stands for Mature and is a recommendation that the game is for mature audiences 15 and above... MA on the other hand is restricted to people 15+

It's kind of the same as PG really... I mean, if you thought of the two ratings as a "high-low" scaling sorta thing... *looks around*

It's not really that big a deal considering games like Twilight Princess got an M rating down here.

The ratings down here for vidya goes as follows...

G

PG

M

MA15+

M, of course, stands for Mature and is a recommendation that the game is for mature audiences 15 and above... MA on the other hand is restricted to people 15+

It's kind of the same as PG really... I mean, if you thought of the two ratings as a "high-low" scaling sorta thing... *looks around*

Lucky it's so lenient.

US esrb ratings:

E-A; early ages is 6 and under

E is everyone ages 6+

T for Teen 13+

M for mature 17+

A-O Adult Only 18 or in some states 21 and over.

It's not really that big a deal considering games like Twilight Princess got an M rating down here.

Are you serious? :eyeraise: Damn.

Imperial Commando done in Call of Duty-esque styling please? :(

QFT. :golfclap:

I wouldn't mind an Imperial Commando game at all. Maybe with a melee weapon option thrown in? :naughty:

I'm just hoping they don't release any TCW related garbage. We've had enough of that lately. :¬:

*sigh*

Most people are forgetting that one system's classification is not analogous to the other. In this case, the OFLC's M rating can compared to the ESRB's T rating, whereas the OFLC's MA15+ rating is comparatively similar to the ESRB's M rating. So, really, we're expecting something as violent as KotOR here, not a gore-filled festivus. :indif:

Well, this isn't going to be an M game here (probably T... or even E considering ESRB standards), but we're long overdue for an M Star Wars game. The fanbase has grown up, quite frankly and I think the reception of Clone Wars is a good indicator that we're tired of LA taking 2 steps back into kiddie territory with anything new. Your average fanfic is more mature than the average Star Wars game.

It'll never happen, though, which is why my interest in Star Wars has been waning over the years. One thing that Star Trek definitely has on Star Wars is that Star Trek at least treats its audience like mature adults, while Star Wars is set eternally in a PG environment. Even the books often only tread into the PG-13 area.

Lucky it's so lenient.

For them or us?

Australia's rating board is screwed up right now since they do not have a rating similar to M17+, so almost every M US game that goes over to their country gets banned. It rivals Germany in its attempted censorship of games.

To be honest, Star Wars doesn't need to have "mature" themes (A.K.A. the video game industry's definition of "maturity", which usually amounts to excessive violence and "grit") in order to be a better game in the long run. In order for a game to receive any unanimous, golden exaltation, "mature" themes is almost a requirement these days, gameplay non-withstanding.

The most "mature" Star Wars games - as in an intellectual and complex gameplay design, that is - were TIE Fighter and both KotORs, not because they featured "epic, dark and mature themes", but because the already deep gameplay was complimented by a usually deep plot on its own. That is the direction I would want Star Wars to go: Not senseless and repetitive violent generators a la TFU, but games that rely on intelligence in gameplay and plot that is liked by users of all ages.

To be honest, Star Wars doesn't need to have "mature" themes (A.K.A. the video game industry's definition of "maturity", which usually amounts to excessive violence and "grit") in order to be a better game in the long run. In order for a game to receive any unanimous, golden exaltation, "mature" themes is almost a requirement these days, gameplay non-withstanding.

The most "mature" Star Wars games - as in an intellectual and complex gameplay design, that is - were TIE Fighter and both KotORs, not because they featured "epic, dark and mature themes", but because the already deep gameplay was complimented by a usually deep plot on its own. That is the direction I would want Star Wars to go: Not senseless and repetitive violent generators a la TFU, but games that rely on intelligence in gameplay and plot that is liked by users of all ages.

I agree, but Star Wars games have seemingly gotten friendlier as time has gone by. Can't remember the last game where a lightsabre actually took something off other than Jedi Outcast, for example.

I'm not asking for an F bomb to be dropped every couple seconds, or blood to shoot out in a fountain-like manner. Just at least a game or two within the mountain of E games to go for a high T or low M in maturity. While that would entail blood fountains, language, etc, I always thought a Mass Effect type game would do great for even just 1 Star Wars game. No, I'm not a fan of the whole sex craze in games, but as far as dialogue, combat, themes, etc go I think the franchise could at least try with 1 game.

The two Kotor games are indeed good examples of this, but I also thought they were pretty safe regardless. Juhani being a good example of this, as she was SUPPOSED to be the first Lesbian character in Star Wars but they ended up cutting her story because they didn't think the fanbase was mature enough to handle it. Even compared to the movies, Star Wars games are pretty safe. Hell, New Hope actually had a scene with blood in it and I cannot recall a single game other than outcast and like, 1 or 2 models in Kotor that hinted at blood at all. They cut people in half, choked people to death, sprayed some blood, and suggested some fairly mature themes in all the movies and games have not reflected this very well. Even the Boba Fett comics I read were pretty damn violent, but for a character and story like his it fit and worked.

TFU acted like it was going to try this, but it ended up just being a safe hack'in slash. I thought People were expecting a lot more out of TFU, and when it turned out to be a safe god of war ripoff the community didn't seem too happy about it. Family Friendly and users of all ages is something the games have been doing to a sickening degree.

Considering all this terrible Clone Wars stuff thats been shoved down our throats, I don't think I'm asking too much for Lucasarts to consider they have a fanbase older than 13 year old boys.

You forgot the hawt pickselsecks. This phenomenon (of "mature" equalling what is usually called "hormonal teen fanwank") is, I believe, properly defined as Torchwoodism...

Lucky it's so lenient.

Haha, no. Refer to Avery's post.

Fully agreed. It's not Star Wars audience that needs maturity, the gamers do.

The two Kotor games are indeed good examples of this, but I also thought they were pretty safe regardless. Juhani being a good example of this, as she was SUPPOSED to be the first Lesbian character in Star Wars but they ended up cutting her story because they didn't think the fanbase was mature enough to handle it. Even compared to the movies, Star Wars games are pretty safe. Hell, New Hope actually had a scene with blood in it and I cannot recall a single game other than outcast and like, 1 or 2 models in Kotor that hinted at blood at all. They cut people in half, choked people to death, sprayed some blood, and suggested some fairly mature themes in all the movies and games have not reflected this very well. Even the Boba Fett comics I read were pretty damn violent, but for a character and story like his it fit and worked.

Indeed, this has bothered me for ages. In other medias, we've got a version of Star Wars that's much more adult oriented than on games. The bigwigs at LA must think that gamers are, by default, way mentally younger.

TFU acted like it was going to try this, but it ended up just being a safe hack'in slash. I thought People were expecting a lot more out of TFU, and when it turned out to be a safe god of war ripoff the community didn't seem too happy about it. Family Friendly and users of all ages is something the games have been doing to a sickening degree.

Yeah, but I'm sure most of the letdown feeling was due to the crapiness of the game itself if compared to the hype.

Archived