Home

The Curse of Monkey Island (Mega Monkey edition soundtrack!)

sinus

Hello fellow adventurers,

after some really long fiddling around, I'm proud to present you a two-and-a-half hour monster I named ...

-> Mega Monkey edition

This "release" should leave nothing to be desired. All the tunes in the best possible quality.

If you got a question, remarks or death threats, don't hesitate!

And now, if you like, have fun!

Also: What did you do to the "19th Anniversary Edition" to make it better?

better than what?

better than the MT-32 version: no, different.

better than the Amiga version: no, different.

better than the version at soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/scummbar: yes

That's just a CD audio rip - differs from the rest in ...

- quality (EAC, FLAC)

- completeness

- added PC speaker version

- nice artwork ;-)

- eco-friendly download

Not at all! They are better than my LucasArtsSoundtracks-version. But they are not in the "best possible quality", as I have a FLAC-rip right here that's even better than your version. I'm still editing it to replace the soundtrack on my site.

("I beg to differ" bedeutet lediglich "Da bin ich anderer Meinung"... die Qualität deiner Files ist klasse, keine Frage, besser hätte ich das auch nicht machen können... aber ich habe jemanden im Netz gefunden, der es irgendwie geschafft hat, die Musik nochmal weitaus besser zu rippen... keine Ahnung wie, aber sie klingen eher nach CD-Qualität als unser 22KHz-Kram)

Now I'm at home, listened closely with my 'phones and at my first sight (or listen) they do appear to be better. I assume they took the same files but ran them through some filters to fresh them up.

But I hope they're not from wqcr's torrent. These files were "remastered" to sound boomy and then in some places, quality problems (like some digital crackle) only got worse!

(The percussion in "row boat" is really harsh, btw)

They ARE from WQCR... and to me they sound a lot better, although the bass is indeed a bit too strong.

Then please listen to Minnie's tune. Awful. :indif:

In my version I had the principle to not touch the original quality. I favor "flat" instead of "boomy".

They ARE from WQCR... and to me they sound a lot better, although the bass is indeed a bit too strong.

Got to say that I prefer Sinus's versions myself. The WQCR are so bass heavy as to be annoying and just seem to distort the originals. Sinus's versions are feel more "balanced" to me. Still, it's nice to have the option.

"balanced", yeah that's what I mean, "flat" is more an option for equalizers - youknowwhaddamean! ^^

The general problem with the source files is, the pieces differ very much in quality and sound level from the beginning. Some sound clear, some muffled (like Choose your weapon). Some sound flat, some warm. It was hard enough (for me) to level them in loudness/volume, I don't dare to imagine how much weeks it could take to adjust them soundwise, so that they all sound same. The approach by Ondřej is interesting but I think it could have been done more cautiously. And as some pieces lack sound information (drop-outs) and others some kind of distortion (the hiss) it would be very hard/impossible to realize. The hiss (treble sound) for example was just amplified during the process of "remastering" as was the percussion in "row boat".

The only real solution would be a proper official 2 CD soundtrack release and: w/o all the SFX. But that's utopic. I hope they'll at least release the SoMI:SE soundtrack!

Maybe LEC will do a CMI special edition that uses higher-res versions of the original art and all the music with less compression. That's pretty much what I want them to do with Grim Fandango too.

Grim Fandango in particular would be ideal for like the 360 thanks to its controls. It's almost like Schafer foresaw its second coming on consoles over a decade later.

Archived