Home

The Curse of Monkey Island (Mega Monkey edition soundtrack!)

sinus

Really? It didn't sound that bad when I played it. I guess 96kb/s goes further with WMA than it does with MP3. Surprising though, considering the remake was largely about fidelity (graphics and sound).

Well whatever the case, they can get better. If they do a MI2 special edition and it has the same glaring issues as MI1's then I'll be very disappointed. I actually really like the MI1 special edition but some of the technical and artistic oversights are hideous.

I guess 96kb/s goes further with WMA than it does with MP3.

maybe. it's the low bitrates, the codecs and - even more important - the encoders (LAME ftw) can show their advantages.

ISurprising though, considering the remake was largely about fidelity (graphics and sound).

That was my thought too when seeing the audio files.

Well whatever the case, they can get better.

Hope dies last.

Hey folks, I have a question about a certain piece of music in this game.

It's called "Out". You can see and hear it when opening the 2nd CMI music bundle file with ScummRev. This short variation of the LeChuck theme seems to appear in the sixth part. I included in my release as "When will he learn?" but it never came to my ears when playing the sixth part and before - and I did several times to find it!

Do you know more?

Made a little update thanks to Thrik's help and some other stuff I improved. If you already downloaded the big file, please use the separate update file if you want to have the new version. Just take its content and automatically replace it with the old stuff. The last three files in the "/music" folder (from "119 ...") of older date have to be erased manually.

• 1 month later...

OK guys, this is weird. You've been discussing on which soundtrack is better from those two, but I do have a third version which I believe is the best one! Please check this comparison and tell me what you think:

(I didn't know where to upload, so I uploaded them all on Rapidshare, I know it may be a pain in the ass to download them all w/o a RS account, but, well...)

Sinus's "Barbery coast" version:

http://rapidshare.com/files/339878139/028_The_Barbery_Coast__sinus_.flac

Laserschwert's "Barbery coast" version:

http://rapidshare.com/files/339878744/1-18_-_The_Barbery_Coast__Laserschwert_.mp3

The "Barbery coast" version I have:

http://rapidshare.com/files/339880254/13_-_Barbers_v1__Sk-F_.flac

I don't know guys, I believe mine sounds way more natural, less "compressed". But let me upload another comparison, this time between sinus's and mine:

Sinus's "Firing the cannon":

http://rapidshare.com/files/339883859/009_Firing_the_Cannon__sinus_.flac

The one I have:

http://rapidshare.com/files/339882738/04_-_Cannon__Sk-F_.flac

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
Well, I'm seeding ... and currently someone from the US is downloading. :)

I had no connection earlier using the latest beta of Vuze/Azureus (ಠ_ಠ), but swapping to the latest uTorrent worked (:))

Awkward, yes, but at least I'll have it eventually in GLORIOUS FLAC

Thanks sinus :thmbup1:

• 3 years later...

I wonder, if Michael Land alone was responsive for this masterpiece soundtrack, or if he had help by some people. I'm wondering because Monkey Island 4 sounded VERY different, much more dry, unmelodic, unemotional to the point where it sounded almost generic. So generic in fact, that the track Prothese Shop which stands out the most is a recycled tune "Firing the Canonon" from Curse.

The Curse soundtrack was special, because it was melodic, energetic, atmospheric and most of all, it conveyed emotions and perfectly musically underscored every situation in the game. Every single track had a different melodical idea, while keeping a similar theme all over the whole game.

For instance tracks like this

It doesn't get more moody and atmospheric than this in an adventure games... Most people mention the admittedly very good opening theme, but won't go beyond that, but there is so much more great music in this game.

For instance the "Goodsoup Family Hotel" track sounds kinda melancholic because there is some sad history about that particular place, which makes it much more interesting for the player. Actually all the tracks on Blood Island have a more "dark" feeling to them. The Plunder Island tracks in contrast, sound very carribean with the steel drums and reggae guitars, but still very atmospheric.

It makes me wonder if Land had any help composing these tracks. He sure had some help mixing, because it is amazingly mixed, every instrument sounds great, most prominently the bassons and the steel drums which stand out a lot. It is the greatest adventure game soundtrack ever made, there I said it. Why does NO other Monkey Island game sound as good as this? And first and foremost, why is there still no official Soundtrack in better quality, to this day... :¬:

I wonder, if Michael Land alone was responsive for this masterpiece soundtrack, or if he had help by some people. I'm wondering because Monkey Island 4 sounded VERY different, much more dry, unmelodic, unemotional to the point where it sounded almost generic. So generic in fact, that the track Prothese Shop which stands out the most is a recycled tune "Firing the Canonon" from Curse.
It's the other way around. The EMI soundtrack was composed by multiple people.

It's the other way around. The EMI soundtrack was composed by multiple people.

Ah I see, too bad he stopped making Soundtracks after Curse, I guess. Apparently he made the Soundtrack to the "Tales of" Monkey Island games though, but I have yet to play those.

Archived