Home

Of the Fantastic, Hypothetical Ability of Media Form Erasure, and its Possible Uses

Sabretooth

If you had to, which of these forms of media would you erase forever?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to, which of these forms of media would you erase forever?

• Movies & Television Shows
    • Books & Comics
    • Video Games & Interactive Entertainment
    • Yoda

If you had the ability to completely erase (destroy and remove it as well as any references to it) one form of media out of the options listed above, which would you choose? Also preferably answer why you chose what you chose, or you will give off the impression of a juvenile who likes to click little white circles because you get multi-coloured candy bars later.

which is what you really are

Ignoring my love of multi-coloured candy bars, I would probably miss Video Games and Interactive Entertainment the least. I love reading books and comics, and while I no longer TV as much as I used to (mainly because it's mostly crap or re-runs), There are simply too many movies I love.

So that pretty much leaves video games. And while I love playing video games, I think I love movies, books and comics more. But it would be a very difficult choice before the book/dvd/game burning could begin.

At this very moment?

Books and Comics I wont touch. Books are an integral part of our civilization, and pretty much all of human intellectual staying power. An internet Website with the same content as a book only exists within 1's and 0's and can be deleted as easy as a server going down, or a lack of electricity. A book is physical, and capable of lasting hundreds if not thousands of years under the right conditions. Thanks to books we know what we know of older civilizations. For better or for worse, the book has preserved law, rule, and religion from generation to generation.

Movies and Television may not have the physical staying power of a book, but television is apart of nearly anyone with electricity. While not all may watch Television, most have at least seen a movie. This form of media is a defining characteristic of current culture, and changes as society changes. It challenges norms, accepts norms, and is an art form capable of pulling on every human emotion.

Last on the list is, unfortunately, Video games/interactive entertainment. At this moment in time, Video Games are not as popular or wide reaching as a book or a movie, or even television. It is just coming into itself as an art form, and is currently being held back by the restrictions of government/society and the paranoid delusions of parents. It will still be many years before the gaming industry is allowed to come into the same light as a movie, and the very flaw with trying to send a message of art through a game is that a game has to be fun. If the message in question is not fun to play, then the game will be ignored for the most part even if its story were to rival that of the greatest movies and books. Hell, the best selling game of all time has almost zero story and revolves entirely around multiplayer shooting.

I like games, and think they are a great passtime, but... in favor of the other two, I'd delete games from existence.

Not an easy decision. Could easily do without Comics and even Television Shows (though I would miss House), but Books and Movies would be extremely difficult to do without. It would be complete and utter sacrilege to vote Video Games on a Gaming Forum.

I’d voted Books and Comics. Not because I don’t understand the importance of Books, but because I am a selfish jerk and since I’m long out of school, I use books the least.

If ever a Yoda option was needed, this is it!

Agreed!

If I hadn't voted Yoda, I probably would have eliminated TV. The amount of enjoyment I get from books, games, and interactive media far outweighs most of the garbage on TV. I would miss some great movies ranging from The Incredibles to Star Wars to Schindler's list, but I'd miss reading and spending time online with friends even more.

Television. Books are an integral part of any society, capable of preserving knowledge for hundreds of years. Video games, on the other hand, constitute the bulk of my entertainment, and are thus worthy of preservation. :xp:

TV just can't measure up to the other two, in my opinion.

I voted Video Games. To eliminate books is an obscene and perverse idea to the utmost, for the reasons Avery gave.

Video games are the newest form of media, and one that would be least painful to remove from society. But I think i want to change my vote to TV and Movies. The loss of great movies would be horrible indeed, but the benefits of the destruction of TV would far outweigh it.

(can a mod change my vote for me, please?)

Sabre will not be happy. The Yoda option while usually a must for any poll, is considered a cheat in this poll.
I prefer to think of it as 'maximum utilization of available resources'. :D

Also as stated to True_Avery in defending my vote for books:

No Movies = No ?Star Wars?

No Games = No Games

No Books = No ?Twilight?

No movies also means no Twilight glitter-vampires, too.

I suppose movies and TV. I would be sad about The Maltese Falcon going away, but that would be offset by the fact that I would never endure another slapchop advertisement.
I can't believe they are actually using the slap chop rap from collegehumor for their commercials now.

I would probably choose tv and film, as much as I love movies, and I also watch a good amount of tv, I could do without them the most. One drawback to this one might say is no Star Wars without movies, but I think George Lucas would have just made Star Wars as a video game series instead of a movie if there were no such thing as movies. I probably make use of books and comics less than I do tv and movies, but they seem more valuable to society. Definitely couldn't give up video games.

Well, I can't get rid of movies or TV, because the world would never have Star Wars.

And I can't get rid of books, they're a vital part of society.

And I couldn't possibly want to get rid of games.

So I wouldn't get rid of any of them.

Wait, I have to choose?

Well I choose to sit there and starve to death so my last gift upon the world could be the survival of what they love.

I'm a bloody hero.

But honestly, whenever someone says you have to do this or something, the option to just sit there and die is always available.

The only two actually feasible options are either TV/Movies or Video games. You can't really remove Yoda from the play. You can't.

Since the effects of TV on the general audience are known to be scathing since it promotes a view of the world that's more suitable, and convenient, for the elite but winds up manipulating every class to think alike, I wouldn't think twice on eliminating this nefarious entity that is the TV.

Archived