Home

Of the Fantastic, Hypothetical Ability of Media Form Erasure, and its Possible Uses

Sabretooth

If you had to, which of these forms of media would you erase forever?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to, which of these forms of media would you erase forever?

• Movies & Television Shows
    • Books & Comics
    • Video Games & Interactive Entertainment
    • Yoda

Video Games and Interactive Entertainment, I used to be quite the gamer but video games as whole now are very mediocre to me as I view as all of them being copies of each other. I love movies and television as they in my opinion have a greater ability in expanded my imagination along with provided some good laughs. Books and comics expand most imaginations further, I cannot imagine a world without Harry Potter, Spider-Man, Batman, Lord of The Rings, and much more.

If ever a Yoda option was needed, this is it!

Word! :carms:

I couldn't erase Movies or Television... as that is far too much lumped into one category. I can certainly live without one category of movies, and I can certainly live without one part of Television, but they are not wholly related even if we see them as being similar.

Same with Books and Comics, far too broad to be called one single media as with movies and TV. Video Game and Interactive Entertainment is also far too broad to possibly be one choice. So it isn't a very clear choice as there are part of all 3 I wouldn't want to be without and parts I certainly would erase myself, gleefully, with a manio-maniacal laugh at that!

I wonder... shouldnt music be up there as well? Not that i would choose it. Im hardly a music fan or anything, but Music and Books are untouchable. They're both extensions of our very existence, and have been for countless centuries - existing because we do. The damage done to humanity would be nigh incomprehensible. Erasing them would be like ripping out our heart and brain respectively, and a crime worthy of a thousand deaths - each more painful than the last.

/proponent of technological advancement rant

Also, I just realized: If we had the ability to do this, why would we want to do it? (I automatically operated under the assumption that there was a hypothetical death situation - humanity would be exterminated, unless one these forms of media were destroyed.)

I couldn't erase Movies or Television... as that is far too much lumped into one category.

True. I would have voted for Television, if it wasn't stuck with Movies. Television is the device that could be used to educate the world. But instead it was used to do the exactly opposite.

True. I would have voted for Television, if it wasn't stuck with Movies. Television is the device that could be used to educate the world. But instead it was used to do the exactly opposite.

I'd be inclined to say the exact opposite. I watch mostly documentaries and dramas, but they only tell half the story, which compels me to research the other side of the story, and the topic in detail.

Thanks to TV, i've learnt more about history than I ever did in school, because it's acted as a spring-board for further research and study.

I'd be inclined to say the exact opposite. I watch mostly documentaries and dramas, but they only tell half the story, which compels me to research the other side of the story, and the topic in detail.

Thanks to TV, i've learnt more about history than I ever did in school, because it's acted as a spring-board for further research and study.

This.

Movies are nice, but I'm not giving up my mythbusters (for example). Sure, Discovery Channel and History Channel have jumped the shark for even giving time to those ghost hunting ****s, but I still watch their others shows as often as I feel. Then there is House, Adult Swim, and basically all of Comedy Central.

Personally, I spend much more time every day surfing Hulu than I do playing video games. And while I will sit down for hours on a single game, TV gives me something to look forward to every day of the week.

I can't imagine erasing any form of entertainment media, it's like arguing some languages should be banned from the written word.

And I wouldn't erase Yoda either, the option is a reasonable one which ought be maintained.

The poll is loaded as it should've had a Yoda option instead of a remove Yoda alternative to a bad bunch of choices.

Simple fact is equal tripe lay in all forms of media and equal brilliance and equal potential (on both sides of the coin). Hence they are media, not independent entities. Whatever their form what they reflect is us. If the gaming industry was the most distasteful then obviously it is the most effective mirror presently, being the most inspiring regardless of what it is inspiring.

I could not in good conscience vote here since I do not murder messengers. They are invaluable at worst for pointing where social concerns lay within ourselves.

Video games are so very challenging to parents for a glaring reason, conservative ideals are that children are born with innocence. This is a blatant falsehood, they are born undeveloped and without social conscience, they are inherently violent, selfish, ignorant and inconsiderate. They are dangerous, you would never put a ten year old in charge of nuclear release authorisation and why is that?

The illusion that children sit quietly and read a book, or are occupied by the mind numbing hypnosis of telemedia is a distraction from the fact if they had a gun in their hands they'd be killing random strangers because the gore looks funny.

Games don't create violence, they show it to us. Ours. They promote self government among the wise.

^^

^

Why do I have so much difficulty on accepting what I see on the TV as knowledge? And I'm not talking about garbage shows, but things meant to teach and instruct too.

Probably because "educational" TV shows are known for their hyperbole nowadays. Me and friends will be watching Discovery or History now and then and some Scientist or researcher will say something that has truth in it, but is drowned out by the fact he is quite clearly exaggerating whatever it is he is talking about. Its a ratings things. I heard Animal Planet clearly engage in Hyperbole in a special in which they stated that a Wolf's howl will never echo.

Like Astor said, your average documentary tells about half of what is really going on in the documentary. Dinosaur and Shark specials have steadily and steadily gotten more Michael Bay over time, probably because of ratings and watching two dinosaurs go at it like Optimus and Megatron is entertaining television. Many of these specials do, however, compel me to research more into the topic.

While the full educational value isn't all there, the theatrics at least give me an interest in the topic.

That said, History Channel and now Discovery Channel have since seriously jumped the shark. Dinosaur specials are ridiculous now with almost no usable info being expressed behind the CGI dogfights. Shark Specials have lost their honor and Discovery Channel is actually allowing them to be portrayed a horrific monsters that must be destroyed, undermining the entire point of educating people on these creatures. The final straw, however, is the fact that two channels that seem to dedicate themselves to fact now each have 2 or 3 shows about catching GHOSTS, which amounts to a bunch of douches walking around in the dark for half an hour of my time and pretending to hear things.

Military Channel is unwatchable half the time because within the info about weapons and war tactics is the military tugging themselves behind the screen. It is heavily American biased and engages in Hyperbole more than Discovery and History combined.

What is still watchable, however, are independent shows. Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs on Discovery are among my favorite shows, and Animal Planet is still very informative and has sort of taken the place of what Discovery Channel used to be. Planet Earth is also a great documentary and one of Discovery's last saving graces before they become a channel entirely dedicated to cryptozoology.

TV can and did Educate me a lot more. They just chose to trade some Education Value for ratings because the American Public can't stay glued to a screen unless there is something exploding.

That certainly is great, but unfortunately, i believe you are part of a minority.

The majority don't watch tv to learn anything. There is a huge percentage that watch brainless soaps and miserable daytime tv. (and i don't mean the award winning dramas either. Just mindless soaps that go on for decades, but never really "reach" anywhere)

Personally, I don't watch very much tv. The only shows i'd watch sometimes are MythBusters, Top Gear, some good documentaries, nature shows, and 20/20 or 60 Minutes once in a while. The only shows i regularly watched were a couple "AO" shows i got banned from - Smallville, and Supernatural. *curse you, sex scenes!! :fist:*)

And, i ask once again: can a mod please change my vote to TV and Movies?

Not exactly what I was saying... I meant I could erase parts of both of them but never the whole things.

That said, History Channel and now Discovery Channel have since seriously jumped the shark. Dinosaur specials are ridiculous now with almost no usable info being expressed behind the CGI dogfights. Shark Specials have lost their honor and Discovery Channel is actually allowing them to be portrayed a horrific monsters that must be destroyed, undermining the entire point of educating people on these creatures. The final straw, however, is the fact that two channels that seem to dedicate themselves to fact now each have 2 or 3 shows about catching GHOSTS, which amounts to a bunch of douches walking around in the dark for half an hour of my time and pretending to hear things.

Military Channel is unwatchable half the time because within the info about weapons and war tactics is the military tugging themselves behind the screen. It is heavily American biased and engages in Hyperbole more than Discovery and History combined.

What is still watchable, however, are independent shows. Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs on Discovery are among my favorite shows, and Animal Planet is still very informative and has sort of taken the place of what Discovery Channel used to be. Planet Earth is also a great documentary and one of Discovery's last saving graces before they become a channel entirely dedicated to cryptozoology.

Well said.

On the flip side if you've watched any Nature Magazine presentations (a journal of hard findings and pure science-media rather than science-journalism), unless you're heavily involved in the subject material with some qualification it is b o r i n g. And I don't just mean boring, I mean B O R I N G. Seriously, dudes are getting excited over a piece of sediment being swept from an artefact and there is no closure about the artefact or what it did and not enough of a backstory about it. It's like watching coin collectors...unless you're seriously into that period archaeology and then there is a whole world of background you've already got and suddenly it does become exciting, to you. Watching a series is like long periods of mind numbing boredom followed by short bursts of terrific, ground shaking excitement when something you're interested in comes on, the information level is ridiculously high and totally unpretentious.

Things like the military channel I can't even watch anymore, I've done so much personal research particularly about WW2 that all I see is a bunch of ad hoc politicians lying flagrantly and misleading the community about what I consider important lessons and interesting technological history. My friend taped the Dogfights series for me and if I watch episodes too close together they actually make me angry with the misleading inferrences of its anecdotal evdientiary procedures, invariably punctuated with exclamations like, "American pilots! American technology! American ingenuity! American know-how! Yet again Americans saved the world and proved American Superiority!"

Any factual remark whatsoever is so coloured and taken out of context that the assumption becomes blatant lies. Details are highly selective to manipulate audiences. There is simply no scientific procedure involved, it's like watching ID'ers conclude the world is 6000yrs old because if you hold your hand out the window it is raining. Yes it is raining, but this doesn't support the contention.

Much of documentary is like that, I find. Entertainment media, nothing more. Good I suppose if it inspires genuine research, but cannot be confused with any kind of research itself, what few facts are laid are biased and misleading in context, virtually without exception.

After watching the documentary one must immediately toss everything they heard, and start over fresh with qualified research, if they're interested in the subject.

No option to erase preposterous forum polls ? :p

'media' is the sum total of human experience and expression. Some of it may not be too our tastes. That's life. Eradicating something because it doesn't suit one's lofty outlook is akin to Hitler's book burnings, or Obsidians chop-chop of KOTOR2. Travesties both.

Ah, the musings of teenage madmen.

*yoda option selected*

mtfbwya

Archived