Home

New planet: Tatooine

Alexrd

Far in the Outer Rim, the sands of Tatooine bake beneath the glare of two bright suns. Small pockets of barely civilized communities dot the desolate landscape, surrounded by the endless expanse of barren dunes and rocky canyons that have silently slain so many of those who ventured out into desert. Among the small shantytowns and settlements that persist, travelers may find shelter from the brutal climate, but trust is as rare as water on this lawless world. Visitors and locals alike must constantly watch their backs in Tatooine’s townships.

For centuries, Tatooine was of little interest to the rest of the galaxy – until the Czerka Corporation showed up five hundred years ago, seeking to exploit the natural resources they believed were beneath Tatooine’s surface. Czerka’s efforts to mine Tatooine ended in failure, but the planet’s hostile environment proved to be the perfect place for Czerka’s Secret Weapons division. Able to operate with no restrictions, Czerka brought alien technologies and experiments too horrible or dangerous to be allowed on any other system in the galaxy. While the full scope of how far Czerka went with their research remains unknown, it’s clear that suddenly, and without warning, Czerka completely pulled out of Tatooine, leaving their Secret Weapons complex to be swallowed by the sands.

The former Czerka outpost of Anchorhead has now become a lawless haven for smugglers, pirates and anyone else who wants to drop off the radar. Though Anchorhead often serves as a pit stop for Republic starships in the Outer Rim, the Republic has no official presence. Unbeknownst to the Republic however, the Imperial military has established a presence on Tatooine, to explore the old Czerka labs. The Empire has garrisoned a small force in the town of Mos Ila where industrious Jawa had restored a spaceport hoping to encourage trade, only to see their hard work taken over by Imperial troops who drove the Jawa back into the desert. This puts the Imperials only a short distance from the main community at Anchorhead.

Between the two, a terrible secret sleeps in the sand.

screen01_800x450_holonet.jpg

screen02_800x450_holonet.jpg

screen04_800x450_holonet.jpg

screen03_800x450_holonet.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Predictable, people were saying Dantooine on the official forums but if you saw the pictures in last week's newsletter it was pretty clearly Tatooine. Not that I am upset about it, I like the planet well enough and think the screenshots look very good.

apart from the saber hilts though, people just go on the Official Forums to Gush, on the threads dedicated to updates and the Comics, most posts are "Thank you Sean, your our Greatest hero :) (Get me on Beta)" or "Wow, Iz nevr saws a Clone Trooper or Tatoween b4 :p)"... So they may continue the Nubsauce planets and info for now at least.

Looks alright, but then it's a giant sand-pit with some rock and extra sand, that BioWare has made before, so it might be a bit concerning otherwise.

The idea of three distinct areas (Anchorhead, Mos Ila and this weapons facility) sounds promising - hopefully two good-sized settlements to explore? Wishful thinking?

Not again...

The entire "secret weapons complex" sounds a bit too outlandish to believable, though. It's extremely deus ex machina, IMO. Still, the environments look quite nice, better than anything that we've seen in TOR. :)

What gods are you worshiping?

Edit: I like Tatooine, barren places are for the win to me.

I wonder if it's the same Sarlacc from the movie era. Surely Sarlaccs don't live that long? They digest things over a thousand years, but we don't know their lifespan do we?

According to wookieepedia "the lifespan of a sarlacc had been estimated to measure 20,000 to 50,000 years." Or roughly 20 to 50 meals. Their rare Thanksgiving dinners were known to devastate planets. :p

It's a big sandy dirtball, that for all intents and purposes, no sane sentient would want to live on. Of course, it's the big sandy dirtball that we know and love from Star Wars history, it wouldn't be a Star Wars game without it.

2 more to go, what could they be? I'm betting Taris for sure, than maybe Dantooine. I say Taris for sure based on this: http://www.darthhater.com/swtordoc3/43.png

No no, it quite clearly says "Paris", "Paris is a dangerous place." This is a clear indication that one of the final two planets is France.

Maybe, I thought of that when I was looking, but if you look at the class button and hover over it, on the 2 lines of text there are 5 and then 3 rather than 4 and 4, so I don't really think that is it. I don't think the number of planets is revealed yet unless there is something else I haven't seen.

Archived