Home

$300 short nets $30 mil movie offer from Raimi

Totenkopf

I... expected more. I mean, it looks cool but there's not a whole lot to it. Giant robots isn't really ground-breaking. It looks like something I would do. I guess Hollywood isn't a stranger to injecting stories into random stuff that catches their attention.

I... expected more. I mean, it looks cool but there's not a whole lot to it. Giant robots isn't really ground-breaking. It looks like something I would do. I guess Hollywood isn't a stranger to injecting stories into random stuff that catches their attention.

Well, it's incredible because it was "home-made" and the CG's on par with the stuff you'd see from Hollywood. It was also very cheap.

Good find Totenkopf.

Dude... I've had ideas better than that video in daydreams.

Also, I doubt you'd have to pay $30 million for an idea that can be summed up in one sentence. "Giant and slow moving robots come out of the fog one day and blow up stuff in a city."

Well, it's incredible because it was "home-made" and the CG's on par with the stuff you'd see from Hollywood. It was also very cheap.

Well... I'm too lazy to read anything about this (I have zero interest in anything about this guy's movie, TBH) but I'm assuming that the guy made the CG himself... you don't need to pay any money if you're the one doing the work. Talent is what this guy has... not a $30,000,000 dollar idea.

Good find Totenkopf.

Well I guess since I work on CG stuff myself it's less impressive for me. I could probably do just as good if I worked on something long enough. It is impressive that he did all of that work himself, but it's not all that complicated if you know what you're doing.

*considers doing a similar project* >_>

Good find Totenkopf.

No. That CG is not on par with what you'd see from Hollywood. Are you kidding me? Was it impressive for $300? I suppose... I'm not the best judge. But like IG said nearly anything is possible with time and commitment.

I just wasn't impressed at all.

Actually, no. That's a lie. I was impressed with the music. But that's because the 28 Days Later soundtrack never ceases to blow my mind. It's beautiful. And it's also much more effective with the original material due to the personal connection that you have with the characters on screen, which is enhanced by the music. Here it was just used to create tension that I didn't feel because the premise was cliche and overdone and the presentation was lackluster at best.

In before anyone says any negative criticism is automatically out of jealousy.

Agreed, though I don't really know if I agree with your purpose or just your message.

All I know is that my statement isn't out of jealousy. Am I jealous of CG Artists? Hell no! Is it cool and would I perhaps like to learn CG? Sure, maybe some day, but that's not what I do. I'm more upset at the fact that they're comparing this guy's mediocrity to the beautiful work of Neil Blomkamp.

Well I thought it was pretty damn good for a $300 budget. Loved the end when the robots connected into a fortress and went nuclear. Extra kudos for using one of my fav soundtrack songs John Murphy's 'In the house - In a heartbeat', like Wally said. I can see why Raimi thinks the guy has potential, I mean imagine what he can do with a big budget. Good luck to him.

I don't understand why the robots would attack Montevideo. :confused:

It's impressive, but the CG looks more on par with a high-budget TV production (ala the new series Doctor Who) than a Hollywood movie.

I guess Hollywood is running out of ideas, so he lucked out. Fair play to him.

Well... I'm too lazy to read anything about this (I have zero interest in anything about this guy's movie, TBH) but I'm assuming that the guy made the CG himself... you don't need to pay any money if you're the one doing the work. Talent is what this guy has... not a $30,000,000 dollar idea.

I can agree, it's not the idea itself that impresses me. It's the presentation.

Well I guess since I work on CG stuff myself it's less impressive for me. I could probably do just as good if I worked on something long enough. It is impressive that he did all of that work himself, but it's not all that complicated if you know what you're doing.

*considers doing a similar project* >_>

True... I've seen renders/videos that I would've thought was real at first glance. I have very little experience with CG, so I'm more impressed by things like that.

kraytfog.jpg

I threw this together within a couple of hours, using something I had already modeled (it's a krayt dragon) and a picture I took on a foggy day. It's not the best thing in the world, but you can kind of see where it's going. I used very simple processes for fog and compositing.

The animations in that video weren't too special. The robots had a pretty simple walk cycle, and flying objects are pretty easy to animate.

The camera shake can be tracked using tools in After Effects. The flame, smoke, and damage effects can be achieved through particle and fluid systems.

The robots were cool looking, but not much of what I haven't seen before. They kind of reminded me of the Iron Giant for instance.

blog_panicattack.jpgirongiant____________3.gif

The concept of a sudden invasion of some sort isn't that new as well (something like Cloverfield).

Don't get me wrong, he did a very good job. The presentation is nice. It's an interesting short and good portfolio material. The fact that he got it done shows that he has good work ethic. I just don't see what makes it so special that it warrants a 30 million dollar movie deal. It's just kind of frustrating that Hollywood has a bidding war over something so simple as a robot invasion.

Like Astor said, he got lucky. It's just hard to be happy for him when so many talented and creative people get ignored by Hollywood because the execs are just blindly throwing darts to land on easy money instead of something truly unique.

It's just hard to be happy for him when so many talented and creative people get ignored by Hollywood because the execs are just blindly throwing darts to land on easy money instead of something truly unique.

Sad part about Hollywood, but sometimes, good movies come up. I wonder if they just ask kids to get ideas. Some people get careers by advertizing on Youtube.

Lucky him to be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

$30 million isn't that much for a movie budget these days, especially one grounded in special effects to convey the story...

I also wouldn't consider Raimi hollywood since he essentially sabotaged Spiderman 3 because he got tired of the studios bull****, and I think Spiderman was his biggest series of production ever. Not to confuse my statement with his biggest series ever, Evil Dead was a great series and Drag Me to Hell was an awesome flick.

Archived