Home

Karen Traviss' Imperial Commando 2 Cancelled.

Astor

For those who haven't heard, Karen Traviss' final installment in the Republic Commando series of novels, Imperial Commando 2 has been cancelled.

You can read about it here.

But today I'm reacting, because somebody blurted out something on a forum, and the rumours started. Yes, for once a rumour is actually true; I've withdrawn from the sequel to Imperial Commando 501st, which was going to be my final Star Wars novel. I had issues over contractual matters and working practices that still showed no signs of being resolvable after a couple of years, so I told the publisher that I would not be doing the book.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again but...

Lucas and his cronies have gone completely cooperate sector on us. They've stopped producing good work, and just churn out complete osik to make a few creds. They curn out low quality gunk, slap on a spiffy title, then say "Sorry Travis, Zahn, and the OT, but your non-canon now, so just sit on your shebs and twiddle your thumbs." On the bright side, it did get Travis to write some Halo Short Stories, but that still dosen't justify them saying usen'ye to the mando'ade, and the clones, and turning jetisii from remotely cool 'ade into complete prats.

Again, if you want Star Wars, read everything, before 2007-08. Everything after is rubbish.

Zahn hasn't had one bad story, and I've read a lot of Timothy Zahn's work. All in my Wookieepedia account. ;)

The NJO is turning out really good too. ;) I'm on the sixth book now, "Balance Point".

"Sorry Travis, Zahn, and the OT, but your non-canon now, so just sit on your shebs and twiddle your thumbs."

Nowhere have they said that any of it is definitely non-canon. Claiming that the entire Mandalorian culture has turned to pacifism is a falsehood, as those shown in The Clone Wars have been proven to be a separate faction, distinct from the Mandalorians that Traviss has portrayed, so her work isn't necessarily non-canon.

And i've no idea what you mean when you say that the Original Trilogy is now non-canon.

I think he means that Lucas is plain stupid for ignoring it and the things that happen after it. But that's okay. Can any of you imagine how bad Star Wars' EU would have been if Lucas was making it? I'm just glad he didn't ruin an era with potential. He can have his 'Clone Wars' era, for all I care. The New Jedi Order and Legacy era will forever be superior to every one of his mistakes.

Apologies, then, although I was more levelling the complaint about 'Mandalorian Pacifism' in Traviss' direction.

Unfortunately, it's a risk all SW authors take when they write anything, but as always, it's up to the fans what they pick and choose to take notice of.

Mir'sheb aruetii

Watch that language! :p

I just can't imagine the 'pacifism' idea. Someone insults me, fine, I call him a bad name or two then turn away. Someone insults someone I care about, he gets a mouthful of laser :xp:

The Mandalorians wouldn't give up their ways. Never. They are warriors, damn it! You can take the soldier out of the battlefield, but you can't take the battlefield out of the soldier! And how come they are real Mandalorians by the time of the Rebellion again? Amnesia? :xp:

Pacifist (n) - Someone who will not fight, in any way, under any circumstances.

Mandalorian (n) - Someone who will fight, for whatever reason, in any circumstances.

Hmm... Mando'ade Pacifists... Right.

I can't agree more, the mandalorian pacifist thing hurt. Between II and III, mandalorians go from kandosii vode, to pacifists, and then from III to IV, they go from pacifists back to kandosii vode, right? Sssssuuuuuurrrrrrreeeeee....

I can't agree more, the mandalorian pacifist thing hurt. Between II and III, mandalorians go from kandosii vode, to pacifists, and then from III to IV, they go from pacifists back to kandosii vode, right? Sssssuuuuuurrrrrrreeeeee....

No, they don't. That's just it. Moaning about 'Mandalorian Pacifism' is pointless, because not all of them become pacifists.

The Mandalorians who become pacifists after their civil war become the New Mandalorians, and they based themselves on another planet. Presumably, there were those who rejected pacifism and continued with tradition.

The Mandalorians who fought under Jaster Mereel (and later Jango & Boba) and trained the Clones are the True Mandalorians. Although most of those were killed, there were still plenty of 'Mando'ade' keeping the traditions alive.

Astor, you make great points, but the thing that hurts is that the pacifists are calling themselves the "New Mandalorians". I would have settled with some new faction, having emerged from warriors and that was now a faction made up of pacifists, but they crushed the name of the Mando'ade. The pacifists have no right to call themselves 'the children of Mandalore'.

Err, just saying this went from Imperial Commando to a lot of off-topic GARBAGE. No, just kidding. I read your guys' posts. Hee. Ossim.

Dutchess Satine is her name. I just looked it up and went HOLY CRAP! NO WAY! Yeah, she's the woman in the Clone Wars season two trailer... :/ What's up, ossim Mandos?

Hmmm...this is really unfortunate. I agree with TMM, the cliffhanger was indeed murder.

Somehow I get the feeling we haven't seen the last of Skirata and his band of misfit Mando'a....We'll probably figure out what happens to them one way or another in the future, what with the connection they have to the Legacy series books.

Yep. I just finished reading it. The cliffhanger was murder. :mad:

Murder is an understatement. I would call it cruel and unusual punishment

Apologies, then, although I was more levelling the complaint about 'Mandalorian Pacifism' in Traviss' direction.

Unfortunately, it's a risk all SW authors take when they write anything, but as always, it's up to the fans what they pick and choose to take notice of.

Watch that language! :p

Would someone please find me a good mando 'a translator for this guy?

So what happens now? I mean, what about the RC's, IC's, Kal, and Sev? Are they just leaving us hanging?

I don't know about the first three, but KT has always made it clear from the beginning that she would never be able to write about what happened to Sev because control of his fate lies with LucasArts.

Personally, I think he's dead.

Would someone please find me a good mando 'a translator for this guy?

I'm sorry, why do I need to a translator? I understand mando'a perfectly well. (seeing as I need to know exactly what people are saying in case it breaks any rules)

I don't know about the first three, but KT has always made it clear from the beginning that she would never be able to write about what happened to Sev because control of his fate lies with LucasArts.

Personally, I think he's dead.

QFT. I also think he's dead... The odds at the end of RC were totally against Sev. He's the furthest away from the squad, and the closest to the enemy. So the only way he could possibly live is if 1) He's the SW Rambo and fights his way through. Or 2) The rest of the squad catches up in time to rescue him. Both of those options seem unlikely.

Archived