Home

Watch this 70-minute Video Review of The Phantom Menace

Jeff

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see it is, George was an up and coming Movie maker with a dream, he wanted to take it to the man, he was Luke, little experience or capital but a Big heart... This was reflected in ANH and ESB, and to a minimal extent in ROTJ. We Latched on to this, became engrossed in this style of storytelling these types of motifs.

Then when GL came back to do the PT, he was "the Man", he had Capital, he made the decisions. Therefore his films were written, not from the POV of a guy in over his head trying to do the right thing for the galaxy... But from the POV of a guy who already owns the galaxy, the elite (ie; Luke the downtrodden farm boy with no future, and Anakin the Most powerful Jedi Cover boy of his generation). the OT and the PT are from the same Mind but a mind in a very different place. the PT isn't bad its just not the OT. People cannot deal with that. Although the gungans and Midichlorians are Poodoo :)

the PT isn't bad its just not the OT. People cannot deal with that.

I'd say most of the haters are fans of good storytelling, and not the OT specifically.

I've read plenty of Anakin/Obi-wan era books and am a personal fan of them, next to the Obi/qui books. I've read good stories, good characterization, and excellent depictions of life in the privileged Jedi Temple. It can, and does work when written by someone competent.

the OT and the PT are from the same Mind but a mind in a very different place. the PT isn't bad its just not the OT. People cannot deal with that. Although the gungans and Midichlorians are Poodoo :)

Saddly doesn't save the PT from poor film making. It's not the background or the characters persé that are "hatefull". Its the whole build up and pacing of the movies that are very dreadfull. Well IMO.

Mind that the in the OT, Lucas only directed ANH. The last two films where handled by other directors. I wished he had done the same for the PT. He could still have had a strong controle on what was shown in the movies and what it was about... oh, well, whatever :p

It's not going to change now.

At least the PT gives hilarious reviews :lol:

I've read plenty of Anakin/Obi-wan era books and am a personal fan of them, next to the Obi/qui books. I've read good stories, good characterization, and excellent depictions of life in the privileged Jedi Temple. It can, and does work when written by someone competent.
Have you read the RotS novelization? It's excellent in my opinion. It made Anakin's motivations much more logical. For example, it goes into some depth about masters being the only ones to have access to Sith holocrons, and that his response to not being named a master on the council was more to do with being denied access to them.

Well worth a read.

Have you read the RotS novelization? It's excellent in my opinion. It made Anakin's motivations much more logical. For example, it goes into some depth about masters being the only ones to have access to Sith holocrons, and that his response to not being named a master on the council was more to do with being denied access to them.

Well worth a read.

That actually sounds really interesting. Thanks, I'll definitely pick it up next time I'm at the store.

That actually sounds really interesting. Thanks, I'll definitely pick it up next time I'm at the store.
Cool. From what I remember, it makes the romance stuff much more bearable, as I think the dialog is slightly rewritten and doesn't have acting issues. :) I'd be interested to hear what you think of it compared to the films. I enjoyed the PT to a reasonable degree, but I've wondered if the RotS novel addresses most peoples issues with the movies...

very much agree Primester, I recommend all the novelizations for the PT, the writers seem to get across what George planned for the Characters, but had to cut and reshape due to time etc.

edit: I also recommend "Labyrinth of Evil" as a prequel to ROTS, although I'm sure TCW will retcon it before long (Not that that will take away from the great Story, It adds sooo much to Count Dooku's story and makes the scene of his betrayal and death much more interesting/sad)

I'll probably feel dumb for this later' date=' but what movie is he using clips from starting at 8:22?[/quote']The Last Starfighter

Not as funny or informative as the review of The Phantom Menace. I thought he was a little off on a couple points, the Chosen One legend was covered too much in The Phantom Menace bringing it up in such detail in Attack of the Clones would be pointless. Second it was pretty clear that the entire motivation of Palpatine was power. Lame as power being the motivation may be, I see no point in beating the audience over the head with it. As to not knowing exactly who enemy was, well making it crystal clear to the audience would have only taken away from the integrity of the other main players. There had to be some question as to the true enemy since Palpatine was playing both sides in his manipulation. The audience knowing 100% who was in on what would have only made the Jedi look even dumber than they already looked.

I’m not saying the subjects was handled in a good story telling matter, but being critical of not knowing stuff either obliviously withheld for story telling or stuff that has been covered in previous movies just seems overly critical.

edit: I also recommend "Labyrinth of Evil" as a prequel to ROTS, although I'm sure TCW will retcon it before long (Not that that will take away from the great Story, It adds sooo much to Count Dooku's story and makes the scene of his betrayal and death much more interesting/sad)
Agreed! A great lead in to RotS, as in the next scene of the story is the opening battle in the film. :) Plus, it does what I think TCW does to a degree, and that is show Anakin as the heroic character he is referred to as in the OT.

I also really enjoyed Cloak of Deception, which covers a lot of events leading up to TPM. It gives a good overview of why things are they way they are. It goes into why the Trade Federation is allowed to have battle droids and what the trade disputes are all about. And it has more Jinn and Kenobi which is never a bad thing IMO. There is a lot of political stuff which may turn some people off, but I find that stuff enjoyable.

I also really enjoyed Cloak of Deception, which covers a lot of events leading up to TPM. It gives a good overview of why things are they way they are. It goes into why the Trade Federation is allowed to have battle droids and what the trade disputes are all about. And it has more Jinn and Kenobi which is never a bad thing IMO. There is a lot of political stuff which may turn some people off, but I find that stuff enjoyable.

Why did they leave such details out of the films? I kind of liked the idea of the politics involvement, but it nevers gets played out well in the movies.

Its really baffeling to me... >_<

I'd recommend the unabridged audiobook over the book on its own.

It's freakin fantastic :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

Definitely agree, I always pickup the Audio Versions of the Books I read, The Star Wars ones have been especially amazing, since well the Thrawn Trilogy I guess :) awesome.

In fact I Contacted Drew Karpyshyn personally and asked him to get on to Del-Rey and make some Audio versions of the Bane Trilogy lol, he said he wished they were, but theres nothing he could do haha.

• 8 months later...

Okay, here's Plinkett's Revenge of the Sith review. While it's not as good as the first two, especially his review of The Phantom Menace, it's still entertaining and insightful and a good way to waste two hours. Enjoy. :)

Archived