Home

Kotor 2 Crashes during startup.

GreedyTurbo529

So I start Kotor 2 just like normal but when it gets to the screen that shows Sion, visas, and the one that starts with a N. the game crashes, and I get the message "KOTOR 2 encountered a problem and needed to close, blah blah blah" I have no idea whats causing it. I tried doing a system restore to when I installed the game a few days ago and it still does it. I was thinking of re installing it but I dont know how. Anyone know whats up with this?

BTW, before you ask, yes its a legal copy.

Oh and I tried to simply uninstall the game but it cant find the file "setup.exe"

Before you uninstall try the configuration utility. Go to [My Computer > Local Disk © > Program Files > LucasArts > SWKotOR2] and find the icon called "swconfig" and double-click that. Choose some basic graphics settings or leave those you don't understand as default, but at least it gets run (I think this is important for setting up the swconfig.ini file for gameplay).

If that doesn't work, go to [start > All Programs > LucasArts > Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: the Sith Lords > Uninstall]

It does sound like the swkotor2.exe file was corrupted during installation, it happens sometimes. You've got the 4-disk CD-ROM version? I do and it happens, if there's a bit of dust or wear on my CD/DVD drives especially (I play a lot of DVD's on the computer so my drives wear and then start corrupting game installations).

In the worst case scenario you may have a partial installation and no Start Menu links for uninstallation. In that case you have to use the Control Panel and Add or Remove Programs windows utility. Just find TSL in the list there and hit uninstall.

Sorry, I typed it in a rush, forgot some details. No not Vista its XP. Vista sucks.

And when i go to [start > All Programs > LucasArts > Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: the Sith Lords > Uninstall] this file opens up in notepad called "setup", but I dont know wtf it means.

[startup]

AppName=Star Wars® Knights of the Old Republic® II: The Sith Lords

ProductGUID=629F65FB-7F3C-4D66-A1C0-20722744B7B6

CompanyName=LucasArts

CompanyURL=http://www.lucasarts.com

ErrorReportURL=http://www.installshield.com/isetup/ProErrorCentral.asp?ErrorCode=%d : 0x%x&ErrorInfo=%s

MediaFormat=0

LogMode=1

Skin=setup.isn

Resource=_Setup.dll

SmallProgress=N

SplashTime=5

CheckMD5=Y

CmdLine=

ShowPasswordDialog=N

EngineVersion=10.0.0.159

EngineBinding=0

Engine=0

Source=0

AllUsers=1

InstallGuid={629F65FB-7F3C-4D66-A1C0-20722744B7B6}

[Languages]

Default=0x0009

count=1

key0=0x0009

I have played it before as in I installed it on my computer, downloaded some mods (just basic skinning for the most part) and played it. *Spoilers*...... Im actually at the point where I meet all 3 Jedi masters towards the end. And I had a problem which was after Kreia kills them and she talks to the handmaiden (They talk about Atris and the academy) and if memory serves me correctly, It should go to me passed out on the ground, I get my force power, and get up. ( I Havent played the game in over a year though) but instead Kreia talks to the handmaiden then it goes to black screen. I save the game, close program, open it back up, error message. .........*/Spoilers*

BTW. I had the black screen (not the error message) problem in the academy but I followed a tutorial on how to fix it. I just took the files that where supposed to trigger, extracted them with Kotor Tool, and put them in override. and it worked. I was going to try the same with this one, but I dont know the files. Anyone?

Okay couple of possible problems. I thought you'd only just installed the game.

Simplest things first.

List your mods. There are a number of Dantooine restoration mods and at least one I know of is bugged, and combining them (even though some use completely different files) conflicts badly, also combining them with other restoration mods (which may also attempt to deal with Dantooine) will conflict.

Also there are a number of Telo Academy mods and bugfixes which may conflict when attempting to deal with the Handmaiden.dlg file (the one that causes the infamous Ice Academy bug).

Some mods like TSLRCM and Dantooine Restoration Mod deal with both these areas, but so do Final Dantooine Restoration and Handmaiden Fix, so far we've got a three or four way conflict there on just these mods.

Also I don't know why your Uninstall icon in the Start Menu/SWKotorTSL isn't opening the Windows Installer feature for uninstallation. That tells me it is at least to some degree corrupted.

So if it's not a mod conflict then use the Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs utility but double check the directory has been deleted afterwards manually, and restart before reinstallation, and it might be an idea to use a registry-cleaning utitily like Glary Utilities to make sure there aren't errors left by the manual uninstallation beforehand (using the Control Panel option is not ideal).

There are so many mods out there and so many possible conflicts, particularly with the spate of recent restored content it is always useful to start over and think carefully about mod conflicts when choosing which ones to install.

It is a bad idea to pull out an older modded installation of TSL and start adding the newer restored content to it. There will be conflicts all over the place, Dantooine and Telos Academy being a couple of the major ones too many mods have had a go at. Goto's Yacht is another. Carefully select mods which at all deal with these areas, particularly because they heavily involve scripted cutscenes and plot material, so can easily wind up in corrupted loops that crash or bug the game.

So heres my mods:

Ebon Hawk Cargo Mod

Admiral Onasi Reskin

Sion Reskin

Lord Nihilus Reskin

Shiny Mandalorians

TSL New Loading Screens

Darth Nihilus Improved

More Feats

Rebuilding The Jedi Enclave

Dantooine Restoration Mod plus the fix for the 202 green patch

The Battle Of Telos

TSL Doublebladed Lightsaber Replacement Hilts

Party Skins and Portraits For Everyone, I don’t thing a .tga file is causing it.

Dantooine Retexture

Korriban Retexture

Ravager New Décor

Curse of the Sith

TSL Jedi Temple

Ill check out that Glary Utilities thing and the other suggestions as well, thanks.

Update: When I go to add/remove programs I click remove for KOTOR 2 and I get a message saying "Error loading C:/PROGRA~1/COMMOC~1INSTAL~1/PROFES~1/RunTime/10/00/Intel32/Ctor.dll"

Update 2: I backed up the saves, did the manual uninstall, restarted my computer, used Glary Utilities to clean up everything, restarted my computer (wasnt sure to do it before or after, lol) and no more error message, now to go through the long conversation wit the Jedi masters again to see if I still have the black screen problem.

Final Update: Problem solved, Thanks vanir. You da man.

• 2 months later...

Archived