• CSI: Deadly Intent
    • Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island
    • Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings
    • LEGO Indiana Jones II: The Adventure Continues
    • Lucidity
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
    • Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures

I loved Tales of Monkey Island, but I think Wallace & Gromit tops it, just because it fits into the Wallace & Gromit world so well. :)

The four Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures episodes really do feel like playable versions of the Wallace & Gromit cartoons. :D

It was a toss-up between TMI and Brutal Legend, but I guess I'll say that TMI wins out just because it's still incredible to me that a new Monkey Island game was made after 9 years that, against all odds, didn't fall flat on its face. (The fact that it was way better than that is just icing on the cake.) Brutal Legend though has an incredibly well-realized world, tons of replayability, and is most importantly just a lot of fun.

Wallace & Gromit was great, and the unfortunate majority around these parts that didn't play it missed out.

Ghost Pirates belongs on the list technically speaking, but as I'm awaiting the English version it's effectively a 2010 release for me.

The rest of the games all fall into the "worth playing but can't really compete" category for me, although the fact that they were all worth playing is pretty noteworthy. (LEGO Indy II is the only game besides Ghost Pirates I can't speak for, so I can only operate under assumptions there.) This was truly a tremendous year, and will perhaps most significantly be seen as the year that LEC really turned themselves around, and it apparently happened simply because the company finally got a president that actually, you know, likes the legacy catalog. You have the Steam/VC re-releases, you have their collaboration will Telltale to make TMI possible (cannot be understated), you have MI: SE, you have the FOA bonus feature in the Wii version of Staff of Kings - and judging by all the hinting this is just the beginning. Then of course, stacked on top of all that is the promise that they actually have a team devoted to making original IP, which is incredibly exciting and awesome. Lucidity was too slight to really be all that memorable, but it was an interesting game, the likes of which LEC really, really needs to make more of to build a foundation with. Is whatever Handsome Halibut is going to be a part of that?

2009 was super happy fun times for Mojo, all and all, and instills a shocking and unusual amount of hope and promise for the future.

Wallace & Gromit lost out for me by simply not being as funny as either the Aardman films or Telltale's other games - with the possible exception of Muzzled!

Brutal Legend... I think I've made myself clear in previous forum threads and don't really want to start hatin' on it again. Suffice to say, it's the only Tim Schafer game I don't have with me here in China, and I'm not too bothered about that fact.

Despite some design flaws (some of which have been rectified in a recent patch) Lucidity, like Jason said, is the type of game I want to see more of from LucasArts... and less The Force Unleashed II's. It's really saying something when I like The Clone Wars movie more than the biggest and most hyped Star Wars game of all time.

Tales of Monkey Island is the easy winner. So easy in fact that I gave the award to Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. :) I want it made clear though that I'm voting for the PSP version and the Wii version equally! Somewhere between the two was a damn fine Indy game... if only the teams had compared notes.

I voted for Wallace & Gromit. That game just oozed fun.

Sorry, Tales, but your ending was just a bit too disappointing to me, though you were definitely a fantastic experience as well. But W & G gets my vote for the sheer fun I had playing it.

TMI for me purely for the puzzle design in Lair of the Leviathan. Possibly the finest adventure game ever made in my book (The other contender being Time Gentlemen, Please which was also released this year - if you haven't played it yet I urge you to check it out ASAP)

Agree with both. I very nearly did a news post about Time Gentlemen Please! because the developers are huge LucasArts fans, and both of their adventures are chock-full of references to them. Max's head is even a solution to a puzzle.

Agree with both. I very nearly did a news post about Time Gentlemen Please! because the developers are huge LucasArts fans, and both of their adventures are chock-full of references to them. Max's head is even a solution to a puzzle.

Hehe, it appears that us agreeing on everything at the Mixnmojo end of year polls is becoming something of a trend - as I recall the same happened last year.

Thunder and I actually met Ben and Dan in a pub a while back. That's Ben on the right, me and Thunder in the middle and Dan is the guy at the back on the far left scratching his ear.

webIMGP6913.jpg

Good times.

Archived