Home

Long News Post - Happy New Year!!!

DarkStarMojo

Man, I really do hope you can get the manpower needed to finish this project within the projected time period. Since this mod's completion looks very iffy at this point, it sort of leaves the Jedi Knight mod looking extremely unlikely. Which is a shame because that's the one I've been looking forward to most. :(

Kudos to all of you for your hard work on this project and the excellent work you have produced thus far. Happy New Year!

Since this mod is taking so long I just wish that all work in this mod would be on the next unreleased level, Level 7. That way all the effort can be put into one level then if you feel like doing another move on to level 8. There has been work put into later levels that probably will never be released.

The biggest problem with development speed (aside from a lack of man power) is getting level 7 integrated into the game and beta testing to rework and removed unwanted design and software bugs. 90% of the Ramses Hed architecture is already finished (I'm planning to rework the bridge of the docked ship and other minor architectural adjustments/enhancements). Level 8, however, is going to be tough thanks to the extensive terrain which features ground-level streams - typically difficult to reproduce with just bsp (I may have to find a good balance between in-editor mapping, models, and terrain creation with EasyGen).

The best thing to advance the mod's progress would be to get some new mappers to work on robotics facility, the imperial city, etc. but none of those levels are going to be easy.

It's possible that I might be interested in making the Robotics facility. I can't promise that my style will be congruous with the style of the mod so far, though, if you take a look at my work on jedi knight levels 1 and 4. I am very interested in the environment, though.

Also, for terrain- please don't use Easygen. Hand make the terrain and use alpha blending, it's a pain in the ass but oh so worth it: http://www.simonoc.com/pages/articles.htm

I actually have the site bookmarked for terrain mapping tutorials and tips. I hate using EasyGen but there's so little of the terrain I'd actually map with more than a few large brushes as we've done with the rest of the levels. Mostly, I'd be using models (I just need to setup md3 importing/exporting in blender and re-texture them) but I wouldn't be able to do this with the streams.

As far as mapping is concerned, I can set you up with access to the DFMod FTP if you'd like to download the current mod assets and check things out. I'm pretty lax when it comes to recreating the original levels (I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity) as long as it meets two general (and rather broad conditions)

1) all of the major puzzles are maintained so, for the most part, the original layout is kept to pretty closely.

2) you stick to mostly DFMod textures.

Otherwise, the rest would be entirely up to you. Just send me a PM with relevant contact information so I can set things up, if you'd like.

I've always said that the remake of the first Tomb Raider game - Tomb Raider: Anniversary - should be looked at as the perfect example of what a re-imagined game should be. You can see that things are similar for the most part, but that a lot of it is radically different, and rightly so. The idea is that you are doing things that were not possible in the original.

Along those lines, when it comes time for the final level, I've got some ideas for the final battle with General Mohc as well as the layout of area it will take place in, if you're willing to go for it. I'm no modder, I'm just really good at envisioning things and making suggestions.

Well, there was a significant amount of architecture for the interior of the base (but nothing substantial for the outer terrain). The problem is we don't have a version that was anywhere close to being as complete as the screenshots on the website. The version currently in the mod assets is unlit and has a lot of incomplete puzzles (which are entirely new) so the whole thing is a bit hard to decipher when it comes down to it. It wouldn't be a terrible loss to start from scratch since a lot of things are going to have to be significantly rebuilt anyway.

@Zerimar, I've never aimed to keep things exactly like the original game. But a large portion of the community that is going to play this mod will be doing so first and foremost for the nostalgia factor. That's a major contributory factor why I've stuck with development rather than move onto something entirely new. But any ideas you have that you think would improve the design and playability of any level (such as the Moff Rebus capture senario or the additional escape from the detention center), but all means, I'd love to hear them. Just send me a PM.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived