Home

Happy New Years!

BongoBob

Happy New Years everyone! Feel free to put down any obligatory resolutions that you will inevitably give up on in 2 months and forget about until December of 2010 and try to quickly pick back up ;)

Mine is simple, I hope to be able to bench a single at 265 by the end of the year.

My year started with a gay dude kissing me after the count down. It can only go up from here.

*sigh*

Resolutions:

By the end of the year I want to be living in California, succeeding in University (perhaps studying Psychology? My other resolution is to decide what I want to major in...), and earning a full-tuition ROTC scholarship for the Air Force. I got one hell of a journey to get there.

The monthly physical test in ROTC (basically a prerequisite for the scholarship) is a resolution in and of itself. The criteria is here:

http://www.afoats.af.mil/afrotc/documents/PFT_ScoringCriteria.pdf

1.5 Mile Run in less than 9:36, waist line of less than 32.5 inches, 62 push-ups in a minute, and 55 sit-ups in a minute.

I'm leaving for Toronto on the 5th, where I'll be studying until the end of April. An exciting start to the new year.

Hope you all had a good one. :)

May your stay in North America be eventful -in a GOOD way*. ;)

Happy New Year, everyone! :D

*Canadians grow good bud.

55 sit-ups in a minute.

I finally hit my goal of 60 not too long ago, seems to be pretty easy once you hit 50 in a minute to get that jump to 55 then 60. Good luck with your ROTC stuff, Wally. If we ever happen to meet up on a base sometime we'll have to get some drinks.

__

I had an awesome first day of the New Year, went on a date with a really cool chick and saw The Princess and The Frog, ate some cajun food and went slumming around a bookstore. After a walk in the park it was a very successful evening, great start to the new year, and hopefully a good sign of more things to come.

I finally hit my goal of 60 not too long ago, seems to be pretty easy once you hit 50 in a minute to get that jump to 55 then 60. Good luck with your ROTC stuff, Wally. If we ever happen to meet up on a base sometime we'll have to get some drinks.

__

I had an awesome first day of the New Year, went on a date with a really cool chick and saw The Princess and The Frog, ate some cajun food and went slumming around a bookstore. After a walk in the park it was a very successful evening, great start to the new year, and hopefully a good sign of more things to come.

Cajun food makes any night spectacular. I relish my trips to New Orleans.

However, if you ever are in the Indianapolis area, they have this tiny restaurant called "Yats" that serves excellent Cajun/Creole dishes at a very reasonable price. If I recall correctly it was voted the #1 restaurant in the city three years in a row. That place is heaven. It makes Indianapolis halfway tolerable.

And you've probably posted it before, but what's your career in the military? Did you enlist? Or are you an officer?

Well, if you've been to Holland before, then it probably isn't going to be anything special. Then again, it may surprise you if you come across the right people. Good luck to you, and safe travels. :)

However, if you ever are in the Indianapolis area, they have this tiny restaurant called "Yats" that serves excellent Cajun/Creole dishes at a very reasonable price. If I recall correctly it was voted the #1 restaurant in the city three years in a row. That place is heaven. It makes Indianapolis halfway tolerable.

[/Quote]

I'll be sure to remember that, I love Cajun food.

And you've probably posted it before, but what's your career in the military? Did you enlist? Or are you an officer?

I'll be working in linguistics likely as I earn my medical degree. I'm afraid I'll be a lowly enlisted man until my hard work with school pays off, however. They say it's difficult to go from enlisted to officer, but I'm not really joining the military for an easy ride, so I figured hard work was part of the deal.

Ooooh, I would love to try linguisitics, but unfortunately my number one choice for college doesn't offer any languages that would be particularly helpful in the military. I'm currently considering starting as a communications officer while finishing a Psychology degree, but I still have a little while to decide.

However, I know it's a long shot, but I would love to continue my photography career in the Air Force. There isn't much of a demand, obviously, but there are still some opportunities for it that I want to pursue.

Yeah, considering how relatively simple it is to start out as an officer the transition from enlisted can be quite the uphill battle, but it's definitely not impossible.

Ooooh, I would love to try linguisitics, but unfortunately my number one choice for college doesn't offer any languages that would be particularly helpful in the military. I'm currently considering starting as a communications officer while finishing a Psychology degree, but I still have a little while to decide.

Psychology would be good, they're trying to convince me to finish my schooling with that, but I'd really like to practice general medicine. I'll be finishing up my Psych work regardless, but I'd like to keep focused on my personal goals on top of my career goals.

My hope is that I'll be able to start working medical in the Navy after getting myself comfortable with multiple languages since I'd like to do as much of my own translation work as possible. Plus I think I'd enjoy getting to be a desperately needed translator for the time being.

However, I know it's a long shot, but I would love to continue my photography career in the Air Force. There isn't much of a demand, obviously, but there are still some opportunities for it that I want to pursue.

That would be a very fun job with a lot of exposure (ha) to the world. If you do end up there, just don't be one of those guys that had the brilliant idea to do aerial photographs inside New York City unannounced.

Psychology and photography could probably land you some interesting paths in service. I bet you could do photos for your own research presentations, there's a lot of people looking into the physical manifestations of psychological issues, signs to determine depression, etc.

Yeah, considering how relatively simple it is to start out as an officer the transition from enlisted can be quite the uphill battle, but it's definitely not impossible.

Indeed, I probably would go ahead and get stuff done to enter as an officer, but I'm really just wanting a chance to get the hell out of town for a few years and get myself someplace where I can focus on my work and not worry about feeling distracted by an average life. I also think it'll give me a greater sense of appreciation for what I can do for myself, anyway, so ultimately it still fits in with my goals for improving myself as a person. Plus it beats living with my parents. :p

Archived