Home

XWA one year thread V: A Slightly Better, but Used Hope

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's helpful. :rolleyes:

Well... I got through 3 years with mine without a glitch. My OS got corrupted last night when the update didn't finish... it's not a hardware fault.

Microsoft is going to fix it for free. They are mailing me a shipping label. It sucks to be without it for a month.... and I don't know what to expect about game saves and DLC if they have to format the drive... But at least I don't have to pay for the repairs.

There's also a company in Salem I found who claim to be able to fix 90% of console issues. If they can do it quicker than that, it might be worth it to me to drive it there, and pay for the service (within reason...) and get it back a lot sooner. I contacted them last night too... we'll see what they say.

EDIT:

Well... the instructions I got in my email this morning have me removing the harddrive before shipping... so that's very encouraging.

In fact: if worse case scenario happens... maybe I can just get a clean used system and connect my drive to that, and pick up where I left off...

Yeah... it's a bummer. :(

Just bought 'Blur' the other day for it too, to play head-to-head against leXX. That was the game I was going to fire up (and maybe some 'Dirt 2' as well...) last night when the update notice came through.

Oh well... at least i still have the PS3 to keep me company while I wait. Hopefully reflashing the OS isn't a big job, since I'm sure that's really the only problem... it seems like it's between Firmware revisions right now. That happened to my mixing board at work once... THAT was a cause for panic! But Yamaha thought of everything, and saved the old Firmware in a buffer that you could get back to in that very instance. I'm not sure if Microsoft bothered to implement that feature on cheap-consumer level electronic device that they lose money on every unit they sell.

And knowing that the harddrive and the save-games should be recoverable makes me feel a little better... though I won't know for sure until I try to connect it to a known working system.

The guys in Salem tell me they can turn it around in 24 hours or less... but it will run me 80 bucks if they can fix it... $40 if they don't.

I think I'll go with the "free" option... even though I'll have a much longer wait...

I don't know if I ever checked in here to say I got married, but it's no biggie if you missed it, 'cause we're getting divorced!

Among other things, the lack of a wife that gets claustrophobic on long car rides means more road trips for meeeee! Ed, I expect to be making a couple of trips to Boston next year. One with some (musically inclined) friends to catch a Sawks game, and another, possibly by myself, just to go. Maybe catch a Bruins game if the timing's right, but no real plans but getting in my car and going.

Oh...

Sorry to hear that dude. :(

Glad you have returned to the XWA fold, and I look forward to seeing you... but I wish it was under better domestic circumstances.

Why is it that all I can think about right now is playing various XBox games?

Well... that,.. and the somewhat racy texts my lady friend has been sending me all day. :eek:

:joy:

Still haven't hooked up my Xbox 360 at my parents house.... lazy.............
Give it to me!

Has anyone ever tried to plug their hard drive into a different machine?

I'm curious to see what would happen? Would it just be seamless... like using my machine again... or would there be some level of configuring to be done?

In theory: all the OS operations are on a flash-mem chip in the machine... so the HD should be just profiles, save-game data, and DLC.

well, all signs are pointing to the fact that after the curling season ends I will be moving in with my Lady, and she will likely have a ring on her finger and a date set to get married to me in the summer

More and more we want to other with them when we go to bed. And she is lonely in her new house that has plenty of room for the both of us

it usually takes at least 2 years for a married couple to get over the honeymoon period plus all the initial hurdles of adjusting to life with someone else. Not a hard and fast rule, but it's a big F'n adjustment and it takes a while to get used to it.

mutual decision? no chance of working things out?

Give it to me!

Has anyone ever tried to plug their hard drive into a different machine?

I'm curious to see what would happen? Would it just be seamless... like using my machine again... or would there be some level of configuring to be done?

In theory: all the OS operations are on a flash-mem chip in the machine... so the HD should be just profiles, save-game data, and DLC.

should be pretty seamless, did it a few weeks ago......

More and more we want to other with them when we go to bed. And she is lonely in her new house that has plenty of room for the both of us

thats not exactly a 'good' reason to get married......unless you refuse to cohabitat without marraige.

which, since you say you guys get intimate, would be kinda of........odd.

Archived