Home

XWA one year thread V: A Slightly Better, but Used Hope

Tropical destinations never interested me much. I'd much rather go somewhere with deep historical significance.

The dream of going to Hawaii isn't one I've ever harbored. Or the Caribbean either. At least not on my own dime...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone else were paying, I'd go. But if it's my money, I'm going to Europe or Asia.

Don't know what I'd do in Hawaii... Don't like hanging on the beach all that much. Maybe just walk around the islands...

Backache is better... but still in effect. Hopefully it clears up for the weekend.

Finished house pic:

34231_408730333460_591183460_4639829_5807159_n.jpg

(Keen-eyed observers will be able to pick out my 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'-approved street number...)

:joy:

Tropical destinations never interested me much. I'd much rather go somewhere with deep historical significance.

The dream of going to Hawaii isn't one I've ever harbored. Or the Caribbean either. At least not on my own dime...

good call. Pearl Harbor certainly isn't historically significant :¬:

yes nice house number, I can only make it out because I know what it should be...

:D

I've haerd its awesome. You can hike your BUTT off. and its worth it for the rental upgrade to something pseudo sporty with a manual transmission as most roads are a blast to drive

Keyan: I agree, I <3 psych and enjoyed the episode

Compared to Rome or Athens or the Great Wall?

;P

All places I've always wanted to see but never had the scratch. All would take precedence over Hawaii...

Rome wouldnt be bad

Greece is in a free fall, lots of civil unrest, the wall is of course in China :eek:

the problem with europe is summer is the 'best time to go' but AC is indeed a luxory of the rich there......my in laws just got back from italy and france and the mother in law was not pleased at how scarce AC was, even in restaraunts.

There is so much to see in the USA that I havent made it to, that I see no need to spend an obscene amount of money and hassle to go elsewhere. Maybe after I make it to Yosemite, and back to the Rockies to hike and ski again, I will change my mind.

Historical Significance is what weighed personally of course, to me Pearl Harbor is more important than the Great Wall. I am also a Rome-ophile, so only small parts of Europe interest me, centered around Rome and its conquests(and I would love to Ski the Alps if given the chance, hit octoberfest, and tour some soccer stadiums in Madrid and Manchester/London :D

Ancient history has always been far, far more fascinating to me than modern history... so that shapes my interest in certain sites.

Well, if I were to put my "dream destinations" into a list form, it would look something like this:

Great Britain

Alaska

Rome (and Italy in general)

Greece

Western Europe in general

Egypt

Machu Picchu

Tibet

Jerusalem

Japan

The Great Wall

India

I have already seen much of the lower 48 in various trips, and the several months I spent on tour. But: There's a lot of places I'd love to go back to, or spend more time... or see that I haven't.

Outside the lower 48: I'd much rather spend a couple of weeks in Alaska than Hawaii though. In fact: I've always dreamed about moving there.

But I don't know what it is: whenever people talk about getting away to some tropical "dream destination" I always feel a little "Meh."

I've never had the slightest bit of desire to go to Cancun, Bermuda, Hawaii, etc... Just not my thing I guess.

Someplace colder and harsher... with castles... and lots of savage bloody history and battlefields...

Now we're talkin'!

:joy:

But: To each his own, I guess.

Hawaiian women are often cute, however... At least all the ones I've ever met.

(But knowing my record: if that was my main motivation for going, it would most likely be a totally wasted trip.) :dozey:

im stiill aliveeeee! got electricity in my name. going to get fios in a few...

no word on my transfer, i've applied to over 20 jobs in the last week though career link and did a few walk-ins. probably going to pull some calls on monday and see if any of these places is interested in hiring me on. mostly custodian/cleaning or line work. going to walk-in application for several photo centers..

So FYI, the road to Hana is freaking terrifying.

Although Hāna is only about 52 miles (84 km) from Kahului, a typical trip to Hāna takes about three hours, as the road is very winding and narrow and passes over 59 bridges, 46 of which are only one-lane bridges, requiring oncoming traffic to yield and occasionally causing brief traffic jams if two vehicles meet head-on. There are approximately 620 curves along Highway 360 from just east of Kahului to Hana, virtually all of it through lush, tropical rainforest.

Pretty sure I was gonna die.

So apparently we had an earthquake here last night at around 5:00 AM. Like a 3.6. My sister said the whole house was shaking and it was really scary. Beats me, I must have slept through it.

It woke me up and I thought it was like 9 AM so I woke up the girlfriend and told her it was time to go to Ikea.

IM back. And single

Broke up with my Girlfriend of almost a year. July 25th would have been the anniversary of our first date. The basics are she was kinda gold digging. The idea was for me to move up there, find a job, go to school and impregnate her. For that to happen I told her she needed to get a house, and allow me to move in. AFAIKS the biggest problem was there was nothing stopping her from forcing me to pay child support, except her word. Then we started talking about religion, and that blew up into a spectacle.

We were planning on spending some time in Wisconsin Dells (Local tourist trap) getting a jacuzzi suite on the 31st. She had forgotten the date. And when we were about to leave I handed her an envelope with her share of the hotel cost. I think then she realized i was serious and had planned it out.

I was sad that I hurt someone I loved. But I avoided a big mess and pain that could have happened if we stayed together.

Sorry to hear it.

Well, for what it's worth, I was hoping you would be one of us to finally truly break free of the unattached-guy group we have here.

Welcome back. To the forum,.. and singlehood. Too bad about the circumstances.

Boring weekend.

Sat around, resting the back. Watching TV... reading... playing games.

All great things... but the last things you really WANT to do when you don't have other choices. :dozey:

Seems like the back is better, though... so I guess it was all worth it.

Playing hooky from work tomorrow, though... to make up for the lost weekend.

Finished 2 books I was working on:

"And Another Thing..." - The sequel to HHGG that wasn't written by Douglas Adams. Depressing. (As in: Pretty awful. Not recommended.)

"The Road" - Incredibly well written... still depressing as hell.

Yea, I broke it off. She felt rather blindsided by it. Our mutual friend who hooked us up talked to her a bit while txting me about it. Mutual friend is on my side on this. SOme of the big issues we had was different views on Religion, and it didn't feel to me like a partnership, more of her way or highway. When I dug my heels in on issues she was completely unprepared to have to compromise. It was like she was surprised that I do have a pair of balls on issues that mattered to me.

The thing is, I already deleted her off my cell, burned her picture, and removed her as a friend on Facebook. Next week my Dad is going up to the Airventure fly-in at Oshkosh, so I will have his house to myself. Then the following week I will have vacation from work.

I have a few days to think it over. Who knows. Maybe I will go back and say it might be worth another try now that she got a jolt.

Secretly, I have already been conversing with a few local ladies I found on Craigslist, and plan on meeting up with one soon to discuss and educate her on beer. and maybe get a PROFESSIONAL massage from her later.

rofl.

ed:

heres my take on your list, jus tmy opinion, not trying to sway or change you :D

Great Britain - I'd go, but seems pretty MEH beyond soccer and bland beer

Alaska - hell yes

Rome (and Italy in general) - yup, def Rome, the rest who knows

Greece - suposed to be pretty, but its a mess now, I'd worry about safety

Western Europe in general - beyond WW2 stuff it doesnt hold much interest beyond skiing and scenary

Egypt - not that safe for americans, very extreme islam going on, lots of kidnapping. the pyramids would be cool

Machu Picchu - def cool

Tibet - meh, himalayas would be cool, not sure its worth it

Jerusalem - ugh what a mess

Japan - would love to visit a few tracks/bike manufacturers, beyond that they are kinda wierd

The Great Wall - cool but its china, no thanks

India - ugh. talk about 3rd world nightmare

It's all an intellectual exercise anyhow... I can't currently afford to take the time off or pay for an extended trip to any of these places at the moment anyway.

I wouldn't want to travel to most of these places alone, either... but so far still no luck finding a traveling partner.

But none of my dream destinations really include any "fun-in-the-sun" hot spots... which I believe was the original point... I think?

It's all an intellectual exercise anyhow... I can't currently afford to take the time off or pay for an extended trip to any of these places at the moment anyway.

I wouldn't want to travel to most of these places alone, either... but so far still no luck finding a traveling partner.

But none of my dream destinations really include any "fun-in-the-sun" hot spots... which I believe was the original point... I think?

yup pretty much

and I agree, I can't sit around and lounge that much, 2-3 days tops. I need stuff to do...

Archived