Home

XWA one year thread V: A Slightly Better, but Used Hope

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i need to lose the weight so i don't have to be taped. meps doctors are picky. but yeah i'll start lifting weights more. just not sure to do weight lifting then cardio every day or to switch between the 2. the main thing i don't like about lifting weights is the place i go to is kinda small so depending on the time, got people breathing down my neck to use the equipment. not cool, especially in the morning.

bein' evicted. need a place to stay.

Bummah. :(

I know of a couple of places... around here. (But that probably won't do you much good...)

Speaking of which: M. just rented out her spare room to a young Korean college student from the Seattle area.

I don't think she's crazy about the idea of a roommate, especially a young guy (and I'm not particularly crazy about that fact, either... but I've met him, and he seems OK...) but she now knows that all she has to provide is half the rent and utilities... and tonight was the most relaxed and happy I've seen her in many months.

And I think maybe something changed tonight because of it: She asked if I was working Sunday, and when I said no, she suggested we get together and do something. Go somewhere. Or just hang out...

No plans... nothing she wants me to help her with... just to be together.

We also might attend a party tomorrow night together, too... if she can get out of work early enough.

It's not a huge, groundbreaking shift by any means... and really not enough to read much into it... but it was enough to take me by surprise at the time, and put me back on alert.

lifting weights won't add mass to you if you keep your calorie intake down. building mass requires calories, regardless of whether you're building muscle or fat. you can lift weights all day and you won't gain a bit of muscle if you don't take in enough calories. lift 3 days a week and do cardio 2 days a week or visa versa. also, running sprints or any other type of high intensity cardio will burn more fat than distance training, so try alternating between the two.

i do 2 miles of running on the treadmill. i burn over 300 each time, which is about 20 minutes, or nearly 20 calories a minute (i can't ****ing stand the treadmill so i dont push myself, i dont feel like falling off of it and embarrassing myself) i do set the speed at the fastest i can run (between 8 and 9 mph) then just lower it when i get to the point i can't breathe anymore. it's annoying when there are tvs instead of music and some fool decides to put the country music network or fox news on.

@ed: good for you.

I hope it is. Time will tell. I'm not going to put too much hope in it... (I've made that mistake too many times before...) but it suddenly feels like a corner was turned.

Her new roomie obviously believes we are already a couple... something I noticed neither of us ever bothered to try to correct him on.

It's probably in her interest to keep that perception going, too... even though he's young enough to be her son, she's still an incredibly hot item for a young dude to be living in such close-quarters with and not start to get ideas.

i need to lose the weight so i don't have to be taped. meps doctors are picky. but yeah i'll start lifting weights more. just not sure to do weight lifting then cardio every day or to switch between the 2. the main thing i don't like about lifting weights is the place i go to is kinda small so depending on the time, got people breathing down my neck to use the equipment. not cool, especially in the morning.

I'm sure if you go in there looking FIT instead of fat the meps doctors will be OK with that.

and like lasiter said, you burn a TON of fat building a little muscle. If you go high protein(red meat actually gets you LOTS of vitamins and minerals btw) most of your food intake will go to muscle recovery and you will burn body fat to get energy. You dont even have to lift that heavy, if you do quick sets of 10 on excercises, 2-3 sets per excercise with mild weight increases each time. you get an aerobic workout with the anerobic.

you wont be as sore if you keep the weights down. We do 2 minutes between the START of each set. its pretty rough, but you can do a big routine in 30 minutes and then go and do some cardio. you will already be alittle winded and tired so it will really push you.

I lost 20 lbs and and ended up being 2-3 times as strong as I was at the beginning.

Dont like to any of the gym fags that spend 2 hours lifting, with most of it standing around and jawing with everyone. Its not about how long you are there, its about how hard you do at it.

I hope it is. Time will tell. I'm not going to put too much hope in it... (I've made that mistake too many times before...) but it suddenly feels like a corner was turned.

Her new roomie obviously believes we are already a couple... something I noticed neither of us ever bothered to try to correct him on.

It's probably in her interest to keep that perception going, too... even though he's young enough to be her son, she's still an incredibly hot item for a young dude to be living in such close-quarters with and not start to get ideas.

heheheheheheheheheeheheh

bein' evicted. need a place to stay.

more later, need to see folks, it's my mothers b-day

YIKES!!!

@Ed: hey, looks like a positive developement. And might be a good idea to talk to her about her roomate perceptions. Jealously isn't all that bad if you admit to it, and talk to her before acting out on it. It would give both of you a chance to really express your feelings for eachother. But yea, being a couple would keep his ideas to himself.

It could have been a young hot asian gal. Think about how she would have felt if your eyes were popping out at the young thing and not her.

@Craken: ouch dude? how far were you behind on rent? if it is any consolation I am going to have to move back with my parents next month since I lost about 6k/year at my job last year due to the nearby dairy plant closing and having a real hard time paying the bills.

Was never behind on the rent, just kept to myself. I'm a fairly clean person, never bothered to clean the common area because i'm NEVER THERE. I'm kind of a hermit, stick to myself and live in my room. Kept the area I was in the most (I.E Kitchen) fairly kept.

He's just a douchbag at this point, and now i'm up a creek with out a paddle.

The Creek by the way, is filled with phirannahs.

And the boat has a leak in it.

And I have no duct tape.

You know what might be a fun idea?

Let's play some X-Wing. I mean, this is the X-Wing Series forum, yes? We should probably be playing some X-Wing at some point. We could go through all the games as a community, or maybe just one to start. We'd all play the same missions at the same time, and then compare our scores, objectives complete, strategies, and stories from the missions. Since people are busy, we'd keep in light - only a few missions a week. That way, anyone who could spare an hour a week could join in.

I've seen this work on other gaming websites, but it's only fun if there's enough people participating, at least three. And now it's a question of whether people still have the games and machines capable of running them.

So, who's interested? I'm not proposing we start this up right now, at least for a few weeks. I'm just gauging interest.

Got my part assignment for my upcoming event with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra - 1st Violin :cool:
Righteous! Righteous!

Nice job! :)

Yesterday was fun and relaxing. I'd hardly call it "epic"... but at least it wasn't going over to help her move or work on her apartment or drive her to a store or something. Just hanging out together for fun... no work. Seemed like a step in the right direction, anyways. Time will tell...

Ran into a bunch of her friends almost immediately, and by the end of the night we ended up at a party at one of their places.

At the party one of her friends seemed to be throwing off a bit of a vibe at me, as well. I dunno if she was just buzzed, or is just always naturally flirty... but she's also really cute, and it could be something to keep in mind if things don't progress.

Taking the next 2 weeks off from work. I haven't had a proper vacation in years.

Gonna get out of town for a bit: Drive down to the Washington DC area and do the whole "gawking tourist" thing for a few days. Poke around all the monuments and museums.

I'll probably leave Boston on Wednesday. I hope to spend the whole weekend in DC. Might drive a bit further down the east coast after that... depending on weather conditions and how much time and budget I have left.

Plan on taking my time on the drive: no major highways... hug as closely to the shoreline as possible. Hit whatever interesting locations I might pass (Atlantic City?) along the way.

I might go out and get myself a smart phone today. I really want to travel light, and not bring a computer with me... but I'd like something I could use to plan routes and check email and update folks on my progress.

yeah but the thing is, if im not sore i feel like i didnt get accomplish anything.

yeah you have to teach yourself that it doesnt matter.

mind over matter and all that

got called in for a server crash on the holiday, hello double time pay

Yeah... that crossed my mind. ;)

I'm meeting up with some former Berklee folks down there as well.

We could plan a rendezvous over the weekend, or some evening after work hours. I have no hard or fast plans for this trip... just kinda get down there and see what happens.

I should be in town by Friday, though... and I probably won't leave until the Tuesday following.

I'm planning on getting a cheap-ish motel room on the outskirts of the city, and using that as base of operations on my jaunts into the city and surrounding areas. Driving out to a suburb to meet up is not a problem...

But yeah: I.M. me if a face-to-face meeting some day/night during that window is something you could schedule and would be interested in.

:)

You know what might be a fun idea?

Let's play some X-Wing. I mean, this is the X-Wing Series forum, yes? We should probably be playing some X-Wing at some point. We could go through all the games as a community, or maybe just one to start. We'd all play the same missions at the same time, and then compare our scores, objectives complete, strategies, and stories from the missions. Since people are busy, we'd keep in light - only a few missions a week. That way, anyone who could spare an hour a week could join in.

I've seen this work on other gaming websites, but it's only fun if there's enough people participating, at least three. And now it's a question of whether people still have the games and machines capable of running them.

So, who's interested? I'm not proposing we start this up right now, at least for a few weeks. I'm just gauging interest.

When I get back, that might be something I'd be interested in trying.

Problem is, my gaming machine is currently on mothballs. It will need a rebuild/ reformat to get capable of running 3-D games again.

The comp I'm typing this on is an old budget office machine... no vid or sound accelerators.

So: Once I return, I can spend a day or so getting the old comp up-and-running well enough to install the games again, and we can give it a shot. I still have all the CDs: X-Wing and Tie-Fighter 95; XWvTF and BoP; XWA.

I can't even begin to imagine how horribly rusty I will be at this point. And hopefully my flightsticks still actually work...

Still: Sounds exciting!

:)

Archived