Home

a Kotor Film Series?

Ghost

What would you think of a series/movie on the Kotor Time Period?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What would you think of a series/movie on the Kotor Time Period?

• Absolutely!
    • Sure, I guess
    • Better than nothing
    • Meh, who cares
    • Are you kidding me? Hell no

very well said Vanir. Here is what i think should happen.

If a Kotor movie does not work out, what about a series about that Mandalorian Wars? I know there are comics but if the material is exactly based on what it should be? a Film on the Mandalorian Wars should serve as a test if Kotor Era films would work

A movie or TV series set in the KoTOR time period - yes, that would definitely be interesting, but a movie/TV series adaptation of the KoTOR games - absolutely not! Considering the history of video game adaptations, it's a given that whoever would (hypothetically) make one of KoTOR wouldn't do it justice.

Also, I agree with Jae, Morgan Freeman as Jolee. As for Calo Nord, I don't know, but when it comes to Canderous, two words: Ron Perlman!

The more of it you use, the more it is going to hurt your production unless you are Pixar, Disney, or perhaps James Cameron and even he used to have a better handle on it. The first 2 Alien movies are fantastic because he took cues from the realism of the Star Wars movies.

Sir Ridley Scott directed the first Alien film, not James Cameron :carms:

Yeah, well, a movie made almost entirely for fans is not profitable -- and let's be frank that's exactly what you guys want.

The average person probably wouldn't spend $10 on a KotOr movie simply because they're not the target audience, people would be like "yay! a new star wars movie! what? it's based on knights of the what again? :raise:"

Two conditions and two conditions only:

George Lucas is not allowed within the same planet as the movies (he has to stay on the Nasa space station during production), and they get creative freedom over the Old Republic MMO canon and the Bioware writing staff.

The movies could be amazing, but we all know what George is capable of and I've since lost my faith in the Austin branch of Bioware's writers. Never thought I'd look back and miss Avelone, but there you are.

As a side request, I'd want the movies to be separate from the Comics as well. I'm sure that will p*** a lot of people off, but it'll allow more freedom with the script and characters as well as avoiding the more troublesome aspects of the comics.

You always seem to beat me to it.

As long as George Lucas has barely anything to do with it, I'm game.

Sam Jackson has already had his chance to play a Jedi.

Also, he sucked. Not entirely his fault, I know, as quite a few good/great actors/actresses sucked in the PT, but the fact remains.

I third the motion that Morgan Feeman would make the ideal Jolee Bindo. He's the right age and he can do humorously crotchety mixed with wisdom.

Animation is sterile. It is without consequences. The more of it you use, the more it is going to hurt your production unless you are Pixar, Disney, or perhaps James Cameron and even he used to have a better handle on it. The first 2 Alien movies are fantastic because he took cues from the realism of the Star Wars movies.

"TEXT"

The next Star Wars movies will have to be gritty and real if it ever wants to earn its name back.

Stop motion. Most creative, beautiful and real type of animation. And being gritty and real is a specialty of stop motion. You can convey emotion in Stop motion too. Aaaand you can get the original voice actors to do it. And all of the horror elements in the games will be amazing because horror in stop motion is perfect and natural.

All in all, I think that the best option would be a 7 part TV mini-series. 1 part for each planet, save the beginning and end which would be Endar Spire and Taris, and Rakata Prime and the Star Forge respectably.

And I bet that there are more Kotor fans than we think. I think that a kotor movie would be a hit.

JM

Stop motion. Most creative, beautiful and real type of animation. And being gritty and real is a specialty of stop motion. You can convey emotion in Stop motion too. Aaaand you can get the original voice actors to do it. And all of the horror elements in the games will be amazing because horror in stop motion is perfect and natural.

Stop Motion only works if it is done incredibly well, otherwise it'd just look jerky and disjointed. I personally favour traditional, full animation, but that's likely down to personal choice.

All in all, I think that the best option would be a 7 part TV mini-series. 1 part for each planet, save the beginning and end which would be Endar Spire and Taris, and Rakata Prime and the Star Forge respectably.[/Quote]

That doesn't sound like such a bad idea, actually.

Bringing the Mandalorian Wars to film is an interesting prospect already killed off by prequel canon.

The original inferrences of the Mandalorians were the most inspiring I think, which were among the first trading card series just after the release of ESB (when everyone was still speculating about what the third OT movie would be like).

There were pretty sketchy references but it drew a very different picture of the Rise of the Empire period and the Mandalorians.

Here is what fans back then generally pieced together (not canon but popular wisdom):

Boba Fett was one of few Mandalorian warriors left in the galaxy, who became a bounty hunter since the clans were defunct. He's a war vet who used to fight Jedi on the battlefield. The Mandalorian Wars and the Clone Wars were the same thing, most people called it the Mandalorian Wars but the Jedi referred to it as the Clone Wars.

As far as most of the galaxy were concerned the Mandalorians, who were a warlike and militant (small but powerful) empire at the fringes of the civilised galaxy waged war on the Galactic Republic and were finally defeated by the Jedi Knights at great cost.

This said a lot about the Mandalorians because pretty much nobody else could face Jedi on the battlefield, a squad of Jedi are probably worth a whole battalion of regular troops if there aren't civilians to worry about protecting.

But what most people didn't know and information which was probably restricted, was the Mandalorians were cloners. What they did was hunt down and capture Jedi Knights, clone them, then send the insane clone, an inherent darksider back against the Republic, using them as elite shock troops in their own formations.

See there were no such thing as Sith back then, so the Mandalorians effectively did pretty much what Revan did in Kotor/TSL's backstory, they had the same role but this happened during the Rise of the Empire and was known as the Clone Wars among the Jedi.

It was during this period that Palpatine secured power, presumably while the Jedi were more concerned with the Mandalorians than worrying about political events in the Core Worlds. Also their numbers were thinned so that Darth Vader's betrayal had much greater effect.

Obi Wan Kenobi for example was a Jedi General during the Clone Wars, assigned to the Alderaanian royal house (with Darth as his student and Anakin as another Jedi leader alongside him, perhaps in charge of Fleet strategy whilst Obi Wan handled footsoldiers).

The whole clone premise worked along the lines of Timothy Zahn's EU material, the way Joruus C'baoth was automatically insane because he was a clone (the spiritual reference is that clones cannot have an independent soul, so are evil by default).

Also the Dark Horse writers in Dark Empire inferred Palpatine had secured Mandalorian cloning technology and combined it with Sith magic (discovered after an early career hunting down various artefacts and holocrons for his personal collection and ambitions), to make himself immortal. In this case Palpatine was transferring his soul to the clone bodies using dark side power.

This worked to also give some Mandalorian influence in Palpatine's Empire, which explains the hardcore military culture of the Empire as opposed to Rebellion Fleet troops and the like (who are more like we fight because we have no choice and not because we love the culture of it).

But like the Darth Vader transformation into Anakin Skywalker new canonisation, the prequels changed all the potential canon for what the Clone Wars were all about, in an effort to turn Anakin into a more Judeo-Christian figure reminiscent of mediaeval kabbala elements (daemonology). He is the fallen angel, with Luke now canonised as Jesus and the entire universe revolving around these two people.

Enter Kotor canon and now Revan's Sith are very much like the earlier speculations of the Mandalorians, complete with Stormtrooper like troops and TIE-like/StarDestroyer-like starships which blatantly canonise their direct influence of Imperial forces of the OT period. And the idea of corrupting Jedi to send back against the Republic.

So the really fascinating/fun aspects of the Mandalorians as a focus are stolen and recanonised into Revan's Sith, which btw are not at all like the TotJ Sith (which I like much better imho, they're more gritty and unique, and scary and interesting).

Creating a story then about the new canon Mandalorian Wars is basically going to be about mundane soldiers running around in heavy armour and not really more interesting than seen one Stormtrooper fight seen them all. In come the Jedi, whoosh whoosh go the lightsabres, down go the Mandalorians.

The really fun/exciting thing about the early presumptions (post ESB release) of the Mandalorians was that they were pretty much just like Revan and his Sith, equipped with a supply of Joruus C'baoths and using firm, Jedi equivalent tactics to win battles. Not just space cruisers and armour.

I don't think current canon leaves much creative room to do much with the Mandalorians, they're not very interesting anymore unless you make some new canon for them to make up for it, something like darksider Force Adept leaders or something, not Sith, but still challenging and interesting.

Vanir: Where does all of your information about this **** come from? I ask because practically every post you make is an essay loaded with concepts I've never heard of about how things would have gone, and I'd like to know how you know this.

On the main topic: Any media related to the KotOR series will never leave the realm of comics, games, and the like. Anything that goes on a television screen will have to be authorized by Lucas himself, and he has no substantial interest in KotOR, or anything that isn't within the timeline of his movies (can't say I blame him).

Still, I would like more media set from the Mandalorian Wars to time of the MMO, because if that happens, we might actually get something canonized about our two favorite Ageless Faceless Personalityless Culturally Ambiguous Jedi heroes. FFS, the only thing we really know about either of them are their genders and alignment. It's like they're afraid of pissing off the fanbase by canonizing anything about them. This ignores the fact that Revan and the Exile's mere existence in the canon pisses them off. I'd be interested in knowing what the two were actually like. I've found myself growing to detest the KotOR fanbase and its insistence that the timeline created by the two games belongs to them, and that LA is a monster for doing things with it. For that reason, I'm sort of glad that Malak turned out to be Aleck, and that it turns out Revan was supported by the Jedi Council in the Mandalorian Wars after all, and so on. Combined, the two KotOR games alone make an absolute mess out of their part of the timeline, and the comics and MMO spinoff only complicated matters. The only proper way to sort all this **** out is to produce more stories in it to fill in the gaps.

My love for the series over the rest of the canon started to deteriorate once I realized the futility of filling in the gaps with my imagination and stopped playing the bloody games. I want this timeline to be turned inside out. Have the (male) Revan hook up with nobody. Have the (female) Exile fall into a love triangle with General Vaklu and Kelborn. Reveal that Darth Bandon is really Saul Karath's son and Trask's half-brother. Have it revealed that Kreia, Arren Kae, Krynda Draay, and Vima Sunrider are all the same person. Turn that Darth Vader ripoff from the TOR trailer into a resurrected Darth Malak. Reveal that Darth Nihilus' mask really is Revan's skull, and Revan was a Force Ghost when he left to fight the True Sith. Retcon the Sith Emperor from TOR into Naga Sadow after all. Retcon Atris into being Revan's mother. Have HK-47 get blown up by G0-T0 on Malachor (take that, cut content). Make the destruction of Telos by the Sith into an accident. And drive Dustil insane and put him in that tomb on Korriban where he belongs, ranting about visions of his father, Carth, who left the family because he fell in love with Saul during the Mandalorian Wars.

Seriously. I'd love LucasArts forever if they took this broken-apart timeline and put it back together in the most outrageous ways possible. Turn the whole series' timeline into a canonically-sanctioned crackfic, the Star Wars equivalent of My Immortal, cranked up to eleven.

I know they'll never have the guts to do any of this, but hey, what man was born of women who did not dream?

Archived