46 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion of the movie?

• Magnificent!
    • Good
    • OK
    • Bad
    • Disgusting.
    • Y-O-D-A, Yoda

I was speaking about vision problems even with your best correction (glasses or contacts) on.

If you can see these in 3D, you'll likely see the 3D aspect of the movie just fine. The prescription of your glasses doesn't make any difference, unless you don't happen to have them on.

wait... i can wear 3D glasses over my correction glasses?

I can see those 3D things without my glasses, but it becomes easier to do if i have my glasses on.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the best film i've ever seen, but I definitely enjoyed it. Seeing it in 3D was a bit of a waste of time for me though, as I can't see the 3D in 3D films at all. Something to do with my eyes. :(

But yeah, it's a good film, but nothing you should go out of your way to see.

I'm really worried about this whole 3D trend that's going on at the moment... the studios are going out of their way to re-release stuff in 3D. I don't quite know how it'll all turn out in the end....

It'll be a short-lived fad with any luck. We seem to go through this every 30 years or so (50's, 80's, and now).

It'll be a short-lived fad with any luck. We seem to go through this every 30 years or so (50's, 80's, and now).

I'd tend to agree. Until the day 3-D doesn't require wearing glasses (or some other extraneous 'gear') it will remain a niche item.

Since it's economically smarter to appeal to a larger pool of pockets, most (if not all) 3-D movies will still be viewable on 2-D screens (DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.). The one unfortunate side effect are the obvious 3-D 'flyover' or 'in-the-face' shots many 3-D movies have. Looks rather corny once it's interpreted to 2-D :xp:

As for the movie Avatar, I haven't seen it yet... not sure if I will to be honest unless someone drags me kicking & screaming.. hehe. I'm one of those, wait till it's on Blu-ray or OnDemand kinda peepz. ;)

I'd tend to agree. Until the day 3-D doesn't require wearing glasses (or some other extraneous 'gear') it will remain a niche item.

Might not be long-another 5 years to a decade.

Australian company 3D Motion has managed to avoid glasses altogether by effectively building them into the computer screen itself.

I think it'd be cool if they gave you a 2-disc Blu-ray or DVD version so you could watch it in 3D if your TV is good enough and 2D if it isn't(or you don't like 3D).

I'm really worried about this whole 3D trend that's going on at the moment... the studios are going out of their way to re-release stuff in 3D. I don't quite know how it'll all turn out in the end....
Why is it a bad thing? Not a fan of 3D?

Why is it a bad thing? Not a fan of 3D?

Not that, it's just that i don't want studios pressuring film makers to have to make 3D movies when film makers don't want to...

It's kind of like 2D gaming and 3D gaming... 3D gaming is the new standard of gaming, but you don't want 2D gaming to die because it can do a lot of things 3D gaming can never do even though 3D gaming is seen as the less restricted of the two...

I know it'll never be like that for movies and that 2D will always win out over 3D, but the biggest concern is studio pressure just to make money out of it all.

I had the luck of seeing it without previews (something was wrong the reel or.. I don't know). And it was magnificent: the visuals and the animations of the Na'vi were absolutely beautiful. Just the scenary alone made the movie- the acting of Sigourney Weaver and the native people added even more.

10/10. Definitely my movie for the year.

Absafreakinglutely awesome.

I saw it in 3D (it worked fine for me), and it was simply amazing. The visuals are like... phwah, insane. As for the storyline cliches, they're very forgivable; you just have to let yourself enjoy the story.

Even though its been almost a full month since the movie opened, seats are still booked out a week in advance; but i managed to nab some great seats by chance a mere day in ahead.

Avatar completely deserves the gazillions of dollars its making everywhere. This was $20 well spent, and i'd gladly go see it again.

In my opinion, the movie is a 3 hour tech demo about evil white men taking the native savages' land for their valuable resources.

When didnt the evil white men take the native savages valuable land? We need dramatic movies like this now and again to remind us what bastardly *******s they were.

I'm not one to cry over spilled milk, or what happened 200 years ago. If it didn't happen, life would probably be very different now. Nonetheless, i still feel anger at what happened back then. And God forbid that we, as a race, go do it to another race of beings down the track. Mankind should be destroyed before it comes to that.

Avatar was nominated for four Golden Globes: Best Film Score, and Best Film Song, winning Best Motion Picture – Drama and Best Director.

Based on the success of the movie, James Cameron has confirmed the possibility of sequels:

In 2006, Cameron stated that if Avatar was successful, he hoped to make two sequels to the film.[21] In response to the film's financial success, Cameron confirmed the possibility of making sequels.[20][21]

Meanwhile, despite being its most successful movie, Avatar has been mostly banned in China for fears that the movie may cause political unrest.

The China Film Group, which is run by the state, believes the plot of human colonists attempting to demolish an alien village for its resources steers too close to a very sensitive issue in China at the moment.

Millions of Chinese people have been evicted from their homes to make room for high rises and government infrastructure projects, reports The LA Times. Avatar's success has also angered some Chinese officials, who fear the film's popularity takes too much market share from their domestic films.

2D showings of Avatar will now be pulled from Chinese cinemas, but film fans can still see 3D showings of the sci-fi epic. However, there are so few 3D cinema screens in China, it's essentially a theatrical ban for the Golden Globe-winning movie.

So, instead of Avatar, Chinese film fans can look forward to the Chow-Yun Fat biopic of the ancient philosopher Confucius in its place.

An Asian media consultancy, Wolf Group Asia, however, insists that the decision to choose Confucius in favour of Avatar was all to do with the Chinese New Year holiday, which begins in the middle of February.

A spokesperson added, "There are certain windows in the year that are held for domestic films. We're coming up on Chinese New Year, so this can be expected."

@Golden Globes awards: Great! Hopefully it should win more at the Academy Awards!

@Sequels: I really don't know how to feel about this... On one hand itll be great that we get to see more Avatar, but its great as it is; They should just leave it.

Im feeling a big threat of lame sequel syndrome...

@China: What a surprise.

I find it interesting how some officials are angry that Avatar was taking away market share from their domestic films. Thats seems rather elitist. In any case I doubt that any of their own movies could beat Avatar in terms of awesomeness.

@China: What a surprise.

I find it interesting how some officials are angry that Avatar was taking away market share from their domestic films. Thats seems rather elitist. In any case I doubt that any of their own movies could beat Avatar in terms of awesomeness.

Seeing as how Avatar is little more than a flexing of financial muscles, all any director needs to make their own personal Avatar phenomenon is a load of cash to shoot in 3D and market it. So all that awesomeness you see is basically a mosaic made of dollar bills.

afaik avatar is the first to reach a certain level of cgi. which is why people who dont care about 3d still say the visuals were gorgeous.

CGI that was borne out of a $237 million budget. It's not like James Cameron personally designed and programmed all that CGI. Give a Chinese director that budget and I'm betting China would have movies as "awesome" as Avatar.

Archived