46 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion of the movie?

• Magnificent!
    • Good
    • OK
    • Bad
    • Disgusting.
    • Y-O-D-A, Yoda

CGI that was borne out of a $237 million budget. It's not like James Cameron personally designed and programmed all that CGI. Give a Chinese director that budget and I'm betting China would have movies as "awesome" as Avatar.

Take a moment and compare American movies with movies made in China. American movies are enjoyed by people all around the world. Even the ones that don't become super record breaking blockbuster hits. They are basically made for everyone. As such, you can find fans of your favorite smaller scale hollywood movie all over the globe, in all sorts of different countries.

China, on the other hand, makes movies for China (and the Chinese community abroad). Chinese movies are not general knowledge. Ask a random guy off the street to name two Chinese movies and chances are you will probably met with silence. Same thing with their other popular culture.

The thing with China is they're so insular. They make their movies, and keep it within their walls. Heck, China could have had movies 10 times more graphical than Avatar 5 years ago, and no one would even know.

When they keep to themselves like this, undoubtedly the whole country would develop on a different tangent. Especially the movie industry: they would be fully geared to Chinese culture with Chinese nuances that only Chinese people would get. So if you give 200 million dollars worth of special effects and cgi to a typical Chinese director making a typical Chinese film (which would typically be geared to only China, and in Avatar's case would be a typical Chinese cliche done over a thousand times), you'd get a film that the Chinese would think is the most freaking awesome thing since chopsticks, but when you show it to the rest of the world, they're basic reaction will be "lolwut?"

...And with a subjective term such as 'awesomeness', the most we can go on is the widespread understanding that exists in the general majority.

But you know what's the weird thing? It shouldnt be like that. China makes up 20 freaking percent of the world's population by themselves. 1.3 Billion people; They should be influencing the world and the 'general understanding' more than America ever did. Mandarin should be rivaling English in its widespread use. It should be London, Paris, New York, Beijing. People should be knowing about Chinese culture, and not be making fun of China as much.

But they don't.

Mandarin is the most spoken language, but all the speakers are Chinese. Beijing isn't on the fashion list, and

if you ask any snotnosed kid, he'll rattle off at least 5 different 'Chinaman' jokes off the bat.

Compare this with another Asian country, infinitely smaller in size and population: Japan.

Japan, despite it's size, exerts a gargantuan amount of influence in the world, with them pumping out Manga and stuff like there aint no tomorrow. You can find wapanese girls popping peace signs and toting Hello Kitty everything and Japanophile guys fapping to Anime in a lot of different countries around the world.

Everyone loves Japan; the technology, the food..., even their freaking awesome ancient tyrannical warlords.

Its because they're not so reclusive and/or elitist. They communicate both ways with the rest of the world, and everyone involved has benefited from it.

I have a suspicion that phenomena is a reflection of China's attitude about everyone else. I have heard stories from people who have been to China of how 'white people'/westerners are generally looked down upon (which is somewhat lulzy - getting a taste of their own medicine). It appears that in China, its all about China: stuff the rest of the world. It makes you wonder just what they're doing behind all those walls and censorship...

The general consensus is that China will generally 'take over' sometime or another. If thats what theyre trying to do, then Japan is doing a hell of a lot better than they are, and looking cooler while they do it too.

All Japan needs to do is trigger the subliminal messaging they hid in all that Anime and Manga that they covertly fed to the ignorant West for so many years, and whammo: theyve got an instant personal army that can annihilate the Allies suddenly and without warning, only after which the fools will realize that WWII only ever ended right then, with their defeat!

:ninja2:

:p

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I- wat. o_O

For the argument that American movies are for a global audience, it works out quite easily. America's national language is English, which is shared by Britain and Britain-occupied territories, and also understood by numerous other countries. This naturally extends the reach of American movies to beyond their national boundaries. To add to that, I once again present the tried and true argument of dollar bills: America had a gargantuan economy prior to and post World War II. This cash goes not only in the make-up and special effects, but the marketing and showbiz. The cash goes into selling the movie in more markets, taking up translation costs and other expenses. They can afford these expenses precisely because they have the cash, and because they already have a reliable market base.

On to the matter of language, the spread of English today is solely the work of Great Britain. English conquests occupied much of the world prior to World War I, and their legacy remains in most countries since. Mandarin isn't so widespread because China's reach never really went far beyond its mainland (witty Taiwan remark haha). The same can be said for Russian, or Hindi, or Tagalog. Not so much with Spanish, or Portuguese or French - languages spread by colonial expansion.

And finally, Japan's popularity is not a result of them pandering to Western interests. They just happened to have the right loot at the right time. US-Japan ties already got close after World War II, with the American occupation and assistance of post-War Japan. Japan's rapid rise as an industrial, modernised and developed nation brought about changes within its cultural and social conscience that paralleled, but did not mirror that of the West. It should be noted that Japan was the only Asian country at the time to be so modernised.

The reason Japan is so popular in the West is because they share cultural recognition. Urban, developed and industrial audiences appreciate battling mechs and post-apocalyptic landscapes more than illiterate, poor and befuddled rural audiences, who constituted most of China and India at the time.

And you aren't with the right crowd if you can't get them to name just two Chinese films right off the bat. :p

My mom and I just went and saw Avatar in 3-D. I absolutely loved it. Somehow, the people who made it managed to put great acting, amazing visuals, and a decent, emotional story in one movie.

This may be the first movie my family gets in Blu-ray.

I just wish my sister could see it on the big screen. By the time she can go to a theater again, it'll be gone. >_< Nothing compares to the camera sweeping over a magnificent landscape on a screen as big as a theater's. :/

Quite probably the most overrated movie in the history of mankind. The story was crap, the charcters were crap and the overrall story and everything has been done to death. 3D is crap, I'd much rather watch a movie in 2D, and the special effects were overboard.

Some people view this movie as the "best ever", which I find sickening and grossle over-exaggerated. But that's just me.

Quite probably the most overrated movie in the history of mankind. The story was crap, the charcters were crap and the overrall story and everything has been done to death. 3D is crap, I'd much rather watch a movie in 2D, and the special effects were overboard.

Some people view this movie as the "best ever", which I find sickening and grossle over-exaggerated. But that's just me.

Well, I do have the advantage of having never seen any of the other movies that have done this story. :lol: It's not the best ever, but it's pretty darn good, IMO.

To each his own. :)

Nope. That honor still goes to Titanic.

Touche

Well, I do have the advantage of having never seen any of the other movies that have done this story. :lol: It's not the best ever, but it's pretty darn good, IMO.

To each his own. :)

It was OK to watch once, but it's not watchable a second time, IMO

Passion of the Christ.

The Godfather *runs*

Passion of the Christ.

Agreed. C'mon, it didn't even get the story right. They could've done something weird, like...I dunno...read the Bible when making a movie about something documented in the Bible...

Never seen The Godfather, so I can't comment on it. Also haven't seen Titanic, so I can't comment on that either.

Passion of the Christ.

Agreed. C'mon, it didn't even get the story right. They could've done something weird, like...I dunno...read the Bible when making a movie about something documented in the Bible...

It had way too much Catholic tradition (read: non-scriptural embellishment) for my tastes, too. The Catholics loved it, though.

The Godfather *runs*

Never seen it. I understand the punishment is to be beaten to death by a mob of fans.

Never seen The Godfather, so I can't comment on it.

Get thee to Blockbuster. Both of you.

Citizen Cane

The Crying Game.

Archived