Most disturbing place in KOTOR series

Which is creepier: Rakata Prime or Malachor  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which is creepier: Rakata Prime or Malachor

• Malachor
    • Rakata
    • Other
    • Yoda

I was just wondering, what do you think the creepiest planet in KOTOR is?

Give the name of your planet and do the poll. Give the reason why.

1. Malachor: the music is creepy and it just freaks the heck outta me

2. Nar Shadda, the music is creepy, the backstory is....strange, and I hate the Jekk'Jekk Tar.

I like Rakata Prime, my fav. planet. Some people don't like it though

Here's the poll....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had just got my hands on Tales of the Jedi when I first bought Kotor (had already become familiar with the setting using the Tales of the Old Republic RPG sourcebook though).

So when I first visited Korriban in K1 I was thrilled. Then as I joined the Sith Academy and went though the trials it was very involving, had good elements of creepiness, altogether was one of the things which really drew me into the game even though I was already enjoying it muchly.

Korriban is what made the most distinct impression on me. I was disappointed when I went there to find a ruin in TSL, I couldn't see any creative reasoning for Obsidian to kill off the entire Sith Empire (or Jedi Order) between games. IMHO it was just unnecessary to the TSL plot. It would've been much more fun if the Jedi struggle against the Sith triumverate, and the civil war between Revan's Sith were still going on when you start the game. But this was probably a decision made by Obsidian because of time restrictions on game release.

So in TSL I'd have to say Freedon Nadd's tomb, especially since the Exile isn't there, you have a real chance of barely making it through (first time I was unprepared and my companions weren't really tough/equipped enough for it), but aside from that it's the only place I might describe as mildly disturbing in TSL, having some good dungeon crawling among dark arcane things "feel" to it. Pretty much everywhere else is too action orientated for the visuals to really sink in.

I might change my opinion on my TSLRCM playthrough though, Malachor apparently has a lot of interesting restored content which might do the trick.

I was just wondering, what do you think the creepiest planet in KOTOR is?

None for me. For some reason both the KOTOR games fail at evoking an even remotely spooky or creepy atmosphere anywhere, unlike some other games (like System Shock 2, Bioshock, VtM:Bloodlines and even TES4:Oblivion on occasion).

Not necessarily a bad thing, there has to be some games you can play after dark, after all. :p

If I compare Malachor and Rakata Prime, then Malachor wins in the creepy category. Rakata Prime was a cool lost world, while Malachor was a dark place controlled by the Sith.

If I consider all the planets, then I definitely agree with Sabre and TR when they say Korriban. While no planet in any of the two games was that scary type of creepy, Korriban was definitely one of the more interesting ones.

Aye to that. Korriban is the most memorable planet from KotOR II for me, and the moment where you first see Kreia/Darth Traya in the cave was a excellently orchestrated one. The overall captures the empty, sunken atmosphere of KotOR II perfectly.

"Apathy is death," was pretty freaky. My mod team is currently working on a Darth Traya mod where Traya has a tomb on Korriban. It is just a hilusionation the exile has. That would make it pretty darn freaky. I think the Shaddowlands are creepy too. Those monkey things' screech is weird, and its all dark and errie. What do you think Malachor looked like before the MSG? I think shaddow beasts were once plain animals and it was a sideffect.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say that Korriban is disturbing, but it does have a certain "dangerous" feel to it, at least in K1. Given that first time I played the game, I was morally scared of doing that planet, mostly because I didn't know what I'd have to do to get through it, or who I'd have to fight. In K2, however, it keeps the "dangerous" feeling, but it still isn't creepy.

Really none of the areas in KOTOR or TSL is disturbing, given that even though some planets might have a dark, seedy, disgusting, horrid, or nasty actives going on, you only hear about it in passing, but never come up on the result of these actives. I don't mean any in particular, but I'm sure there is at least one thing in the SW universe that every time, doesn't end well.

You know what - I think the previous posts merit some question.

In KotOR, you hang out with several dudes, but can you actually imagine hanging around these people?

You've got a guy who's constantly pointing fingers at you, a person who's got brain tails attached to their head that thinks it's a wonderful adventure to go exploring the stank filled dirt bath, AKA the undercity, a giant carpet that walks and barks at you who apparently according to other characters has breath that smells of rancor turds, you've got a annoying person who constantly complains at you and acts like they're your master even though they pointedly aren't, you've got a war loving psycho who thought it'd be a good idea to jump out of a space ship through orbit riding a droid, you've got a cat thing that looks hideous and has a backstory that amounts to little more than annoying to listen to, you've got a senile old man that lives in a tree and in keeping with the others, whines all the time, and probably smells of Rancor Turd as well given where he was living, and you've got a droid who's insane, ending up being the cause of each and every single one of their master's deaths, who's definition of love involves sniper rifles and a target, and fantasizes about pulling each and every organ out of every human - sorry, Meatbag - in the Galaxy.

Sounds like the sort of people you want to hang out with, amirite?

No I won't do T3, because in the first game he practically doesn't even HAVE a character, and you'll probably just forget he exists.

Manaan.........Why?

Well not really the planet itself, but mainly because those friggin' Selkath who went loco in the underwater base. The ideal of being eaten alive by fish people and firaxan sharks bothers the hell out me.

"No,no,no! Those fishy heads are not gonna eat me."

Ah hell! No place to hide, where's a nice cozy locker when ya need it. :raise:

Out of the poll options, i chose Malachor V. Rakata Prime is like a giant paradise! (except in-game everyone gets that classic "bad feeling" because of the dark energy coursing through the planet... but to us who are just watching, it seems really nice!)

But IIRC none of the places in the KotOR series "disturbed" me.

I do remember being somewhat disturbed by Korriban in Jedi Academy, though.

Archived