Home

Widescreen in Patched TSL...

ZimmMaster

For those widescreen TSL users. You know that the UniWS patcher program only supports the Un-Patched TSL version. Not the updated. Well, I have figured out how to do it.

Thanks to squizzy for the resolution patcher. Which is unable to be downloaded anymore as the website went down.

You will need to download this:

Squizzy_Resolution_Patcher.7z (1.8 MB)

1. Run the swkotor2 config utility.

2. Set the value to 800x600 NOT 1024x768.

3. Hit apply then OK.

4. Unzip the file you downloaded above.

5. Now this is where you have to be careful. Make a backup of your swkotor2.exe, Mss32.dll, and swkotor2.ini.

6. Now copy all the files in the 7z file to your TSL Main Directory and run the patcher. Default path is C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\SWKotOR2

7. Once the patch is finished, open up the game, navigate to the Main Menu > Graphics Options > Screen Resolution and select your custom widescreen resolution. I can vouch for 1920x1080 resolution as I use it, but as for other widescreen resolutions, I've read that anything above 1280x720 (note the game natively supports 1280x720 by changing key values in the swkotor2.ini) works fine.

If the above is not enough, do the next step.

8.After running the patcher, go into swkotor2.ini and, under BOTH "Display Options" and "Graphics Options", change the "Width" and "Height" values to whatever you patched the resolution to ("1680" and "1050" in my case), save and exit.

Enjoy,

-ZM-

EDIT: Due to a recurring problem regarding the patch and Windows 7 PC's, I have decided to post directions on how to solve this. Please ignore the following if you do not experience this.

Certain people running windows 7 have encountered an error with their swkotor2.ini files. Basically what is happening is the permissions are not correct for the game to correctly run. Which makes the swkotor2.ini file appear really short, like this:

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=1920

Height=1200

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

[Game Options]

TooltipDelay Sec=

Which in the case of this patch, would cause it to work incorrectly. Here is what needs to be done:

Navigate to your SWKotOR2 folder but don't go inside it. Right click and select properties.

Then navigate to the security tab and click the Administrators entry.

In the permissions box you should have Full Control checked. If not check it.

Now open the game and load a level. Then completely close the game. This is to put the appropriate entries into the swkotor2.ini file.

Finally open up the swkotor2.ini and navigate to the width and height values under Graphics Options and change it to the desired resolution.

If all works well, your swkotor2.ini file should be significantly longer and the problem is solved.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're not supposed to openly discuss this because of one of the files that comes with that patcher.

I will admit, though, that I've been using it for years now (and yes, I own a LEGIT COPY of TSL) and that it works beautifully, though the HUD gets stretched and fugly. I didn't know about having to set the resolution to 800x600 with swconfig first, though. I'll have to try that the next time I install the game.

We're not supposed to openly discuss this because of one of the files that comes with that patcher.

I will admit, though, that I've been using it for years now (and yes, I own a LEGIT COPY of TSL) and that it works beautifully, though the HUD gets stretched and fugly. I didn't know about having to set the resolution to 800x600 with swconfig first, though. I'll have to try that the next time I install the game.

Yeah, as of now there is no fix for the HUD and the minimap is now innacurrate. Also, as to having the resolution at 800x600, that is what I did and it works for me. But I'm sorry about the files problem. If you and the moderators prefer. I can take down the current link and put up a new one that does not have the swkotor2.exe in it. Would that be satisfactory?

I dunno, I'm not a mod. I certainly don't have a problem with it, even with that file, because it's the only way to play TSL in widescreen. ;)

There is, however, a fix for the minimap over at the Widescreen Gaming Forums, made by Sweet(?), aka Stevedroid.

I dunno, I'm not a mod. I certainly don't have a problem with it, even with that file, because it's the only way to play TSL in widescreen. ;)

There is, however, a fix for the minimap over at the Widescreen Gaming Forums, made by Sweet(?), aka Stevedroid.

Really? I did not know that. I searched for one but had no luck. Do you know any links?

It's never worked from the in-game menu for me. After running the patcher, go into swkotor2.ini and, under BOTH "Display Options" and "Graphics Options", change the "Width" and "Height" values to whatever you patched the resolution to ("1680" and "1050" in my case), save and exit.

I've followed the instructions for this patcher and it's simply not taking. I'm using Windows 7 Pro. Help?

I don't have Windows 7, so I can't be of much help. Can you tell me exactly what you did?

It's never worked from the in-game menu for me. After running the patcher, go into swkotor2.ini and, under BOTH "Display Options" and "Graphics Options", change the "Width" and "Height" values to whatever you patched the resolution to ("1680" and "1050" in my case), save and exit.

That is strange. It worked for me. The values changed automatically. But if this is the case. Do you think I should add your directions as one of the steps?

As I indicated earlier in this thread, there is a minimap fix over at the Widescreen Gaming Forums. I believe that there are files for both 16:9 and 16:10, so you'll want the one for 16:9 for 1920x1080.

Unlike KotOR1's static HUD, KotOR2's is dynamic and grows with the resolution. Unfortunately, Obsidian did not take widescreen aspect ratios and uber-high resolutions into account when designing it, so there's no real fix for the huge fugliness, aside from using hotkeys. It's not that bad, and you'll get used to it.

Wow, why didn't I notice your statement about the minimap fix earlier? I swear I am so oblivious at times.... :D

As for the HUD itself, I can get used to that. I just hope that there is a fix at some point.

I certainly do as well. I'm getting tired of the stretched GUI and having to deal with it. But it looks like unless someone completely remakes the TSL GUI, it will nto be done.

Perhaps the patcher could be modified to insert the highest resolution of the existing HUD? It's better than nothing, TBH.

Btw, if you want I can create a video of the Widescreen for YouTube to showcase this fix. Not to worry, the FPS would be far better than the video I did for your Animation Fix. :D

I believe that would be fine. I do own FRAPS now though. But no video editing software (looking for one). I am also aware on the improvement of your videos as I've seen them myself. PM me with your progress when you have the time.

• 10 months later...

Sorry for resurecting this old thread but i tried to use your patch with my Laptop (max. Resolution 1366 x 768) but that fails because the config utility of TSL does not accept my video card drivers although they are certified Lenovo/AMD divers (ATI 5730)... I can only run the game at 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768.... do you have a solution ?

Cheers in advance,

L.

1) Can you run the game at all?

2) I'm assuming that you're using a modern version of Windows (i.e., Vista or 7), so did you install the game according to the large-print instructions at the top of the second post in this thread?

3) TSL supports 1280x768 natively. All you have to do is set the with and height values to 1280 and 768 under BOTH "Display Options" and "Graphics Options" in the swkotor2.ini file.

man thanks a lot, I alway typed in 720 p , with 768 everything works fine ingame....

Apart from the movies (Cutscenes) they are still in a very small window (like 320 x 200) or something do you also know a workaround for this ?

And Cheers again, really much appreciated...

Archived