Home

Widescreen in Patched TSL...

ZimmMaster

Hey guys, I also apologize for bumping this thing up but I really tried everything and still can't get it to work.

I installed TSL on win7, but I can't seem to adjust the resolution to 1900X1200.

I tried everything from the patch of Squizzy to the patch of uniws and nothing works. I tried following the steps here but ran into few problems:

1. My .ini only includes width and height parameters under display options.

2. It won't let me save the .ini after I made the changes.

Can anyone assist please?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys, I also apologize for bumping this thing up but I really tried everything and still can't get it to work.

I installed TSL on win7, but I can't seem to adjust the resolution to 1900X1200.

I tried everything from the patch of Squizzy to the patch of uniws and nothing works. I tried following the steps here but ran into few problems:

1. My .ini only includes width and height parameters under display options.

2. It won't let me save the .ini after I made the changes.

Can anyone assist please?

It might help if you posted your swkotor2.ini.

As for saving the .ini, I encountered this myself. Easy workaround is open the ini, make your changes, save it somewhere else (e.x. the desktop), then move it to the swkotor2 folder.

Thanks a lot for the quick response!

As for the .ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=1920

Height=1200

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

[Game Options]

TooltipDelay Sec=

As you can see I've already edited width and height to what I need in display, but no such parameters in graphic - should I add them myself? Also the game itself will still open in 800X600 (a windowed version), and inside I can't change it to 1920X1200.

Thanks a lot for the quick response!

As for the .ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=1920

Height=1200

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

[Game Options]

TooltipDelay Sec=

As you can see I've already edited width and height to what I need in display, but no such parameters in graphic - should I add them myself? Also the game itself will still open in 800X600 (a windowed version), and inside I can't change it to 1920X1200.

I think I know your problem. For one thing, your .ini is WAY too short. It should look something like this:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=1920

Height=1080

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=85

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

Anisotropy=16

Frame Buffer=1

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=1

Shadows=1

Brightness=47

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

AllowSoftShadows=1

RefreshRate=60

Width=1920

Height=1080

V-Sync=1

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=2

[Game Options]

UnlockedPlanetSongs=7

Enable Tooltips=1

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

TextureVariation=4

BodyVariation=13

AppearanceType=647

PCGender=0

GameCompleted=0

CurSithLord=0

Hide InGame GUI=1

Use Small Fonts=0

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=0

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=0

Floating Numbers=0

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=44

Difficulty Level=1

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

EnableScreenShot=1

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Reverse Ingame YAxis=0

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=0

EnableCheats=1

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action268=28

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=52

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

[Autopause Options]

End Of Combat Round=0

Mine Sighted=0

Enemy Sighted=1

Party Killed=1

Action Menu=0

New Target Selected=1

[Movies Shown]

Movie10=1

Movie 9=1

Movie 8=1

Movie 7=17

Movie 6=1

Movie 5=3

Movie 4=1

Movie 3=1

Movie 2=105

Movie 1=7

Movie 0=125

This also explains your lack of ability to use the patch. The height and width values are missing from your graphics options. Now, here is what I think you should try as this worked for me:

Navigate to your SWKotOR2 folder but don't go inside it. Right click and select properties. Then navigate to the security tab and click the Administrators entry. In the permissions box you should have Full Control checked. If not check it. Now open the game and load a level. Then completely close the game. This is to put the appropriate entries into the swkotor2.ini file. Finally open up the swkotor2.ini and navigate to the width and height values under Graphics Options and change it to the desired resolution. See my ini to know where to look. Let me know how this works.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I would post here, to see if anyone had any advice for this issue. I originally posted in this thread, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2769066&posted=1#post2769066. Thank you, by the way, for this resolution solution.;)

Basically my native resolution is 1680 x 1050. With the vanilla KOTOR2 there's not an option for that, so I came looking for a similar widescreen fix as in KOTOR1 and found this thread. Everything works just fine, except for the movies.

Now, with KOTOR1, the movies were actually blown up to fit my resolution. This made them a bit pixelated, but it wasn't anything terrible, as I've played the game before. So imagine my surprise when this wasn't the case for KOTOR2. Yes, I downloaded and installed the high res versions, which look great in the BINK player.

If I go into windowed mode, the movies are the proper size; however windowed mode looks crappier than normal, so that's not an option for me. This affects all "movies," including the beginning logos and such. Very strange.

It's not a huge deal, as again I've played the KOTOR games before, but certainly I would love to find a solution. Any advice or direction to go in is welcome, thank you.:)

Figured I would post here, to see if anyone had any advice for this issue. I originally posted in this thread, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2769066&posted=1#post2769066. Thank you, by the way, for this resolution solution.;)

Basically my native resolution is 1680 x 1050. With the vanilla KOTOR2 there's not an option for that, so I came looking for a similar widescreen fix as in KOTOR1 and found this thread. Everything works just fine, except for the movies.

Now, with KOTOR1, the movies were actually blown up to fit my resolution. This made them a bit pixelated, but it wasn't anything terrible, as I've played the game before. So imagine my surprise when this wasn't the case for KOTOR2. Yes, I downloaded and installed the high res versions, which look great in the BINK player.

If I go into windowed mode, the movies are the proper size; however windowed mode looks crappier than normal, so that's not an option for me. This affects all "movies," including the beginning logos and such. Very strange.

It's not a huge deal, as again I've played the KOTOR games before, but certainly I would love to find a solution. Any advice or direction to go in is welcome, thank you.:)

I encounter this myself running the hack at 1920x1080 resolution. As far as I know, this is NOT caused by the hack. It is a restriction with the movies. Let me explain:

The game's movies are natively 640x480 resolution. What the movie patches do is raise the resolution up to 1600x1200. Which is the game's highest native resolution. In order to see the movie patches in game your resolution has to be at least 1600x1200. In yours and my cases, we don't meet that requirement. It is a common mistake that took me a while to figure out.

Required res: 1600x1200

Your res: 1680x1050

My res: 1920x1080

You see now? Our width values meet the requirement, but our height values do not. It sucks, yes I know, but I'm not aware of anything that can be done.

You can get Rad Video Tools and resize each movie to your native resolution.

Be warned that it takes forever, though, even if you have a Core i7, so be sure to back up your work so you won't have to do it again.

I encounter this myself running the hack at 1920x1080 resolution. As far as I know, this is NOT caused by the hack. It is a restriction with the movies. Let me explain:

The game's movies are natively 640x480 resolution. What the movie patches do is raise the resolution up to 1600x1200. Which is the game's highest native resolution. In order to see the movie patches in game your resolution has to be at least 1600x1200. In yours and my cases, we don't meet that requirement. It is a common mistake that took me a while to figure out.

Required res: 1600x1200

Your res: 1680x1050

My res: 1920x1080

You see now? Our width values meet the requirement, but our height values do not. It sucks, yes I know, but I'm not aware of anything that can be done.

Son-of-a-gun, would you look at that. Thank you, Zimmer, for following up with me. I guess I'll just have to deal with the little boxes.:)

You can get Rad Video Tools and resize each movie to your native resolution.

Be warned that it takes forever, though, even if you have a Core i7, so be sure to back up your work so you won't have to do it again.

Hehe, this would take days on my poor comp. It's got muscle, but that muscle is four years old.;)

Son-of-a-gun, would you look at that. Thank you, Zimmer, for following up with me. I guess I'll just have to deal with the little boxes.:)

It's no problem, I'm just glad I could help.

Hehe, this would take days on my poor comp. It's got muscle, but that muscle is four years old.;)

My computer is not that old, but it would likely take longer than a couple days for me. At least while it's bogged down with gigs of music and video while I'm waiting for my new iPod.

^Haha, too true.

Hey, I've got a rather strange update that actually fixed this issue! So I went into my Nvidia control panel, where you can set custom resolutions, and poked about to see if it would take the resolution of the in-game movies.

It didn't, but that wasn't too much of a surprise to me, as my monitor doesn't support it. I then just played around with some other resolutions, one of them being the highest HD res I could go: 1080p (1920 x 1080). Naturally, this doesn't look too great on a 2.1 in monitor, so I set it back to standard and went on my merry way.

The next day I log into the game and noticed the starter "movies" (the logos and such) were full size, not small. Then as I played I came to an in-game movie of the Ebon Hawk lifting off from a planet and wouldn't you know, it was full size! Well, technically not the full size of the movie, but certainly it fit my screen like a nice widescreen edition, black bars and all.

I'm not sure if this could be repeated, but I'm certain whatever I did had to have kicked something into gear. I hope this may lead you, and anyone else, on the right path.:thmbup1:

^Haha, too true.

Hey, I've got a rather strange update that actually fixed this issue! So I went into my Nvidia control panel, where you can set custom resolutions, and poked about to see if it would take the resolution of the in-game movies.

It didn't, but that wasn't too much of a surprise to me, as my monitor doesn't support it. I then just played around with some other resolutions, one of them being the highest HD res I could go: 1080p (1920 x 1080). Naturally, this doesn't look too great on a 2.1 in monitor, so I set it back to standard and went on my merry way.

The next day I log into the game and noticed the starter "movies" (the logos and such) were full size, not small. Then as I played I came to an in-game movie of the Ebon Hawk lifting off from a planet and wouldn't you know, it was full size! Well, technically not the full size of the movie, but certainly it fit my screen like a nice widescreen edition, black bars and all.

I'm not sure if this could be repeated, but I'm certain whatever I did had to have kicked something into gear. I hope this may lead you, and anyone else, on the right path.:thmbup1:

Do you know if the movies themselves were resized? Or did you just adjust the scaling on your monitor?

Do you know if the movies themselves were resized? Or did you just adjust the scaling on your monitor?

The movies are fitting to my native resolution, albeit with the widescreen black bars, automatically, just like KOTOR 1 did. I'm back to my regular scaling and resolution, all I did was muck about as I described above.

Most new drivers don't support 640x480 by default, so the game try's to show them at that res and will default to what ever the game is set to due to 640x480 not being available. All you need to do is add 640x480 as a custom res through your drivers and the movies should work full screen.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, after several hours of trying and retrying almost everything posted in this thread (and the links to other threads found herein), I'm giving up for the night.

I followed the installation instructions in EQ/AT's great thread, with a few exceptions:

1) I skipped the dll and exe downloads because I knew I was going to turn around and replace those with these and

2) When I right-clicked>removed Read-Only from the SWKotOR2 folder, the change did not stick (yes, I'm an admin)

I recently built a new system (Win7HP, EVGA GeForce GTX 560ti. Rest of new specs available if needed) and am in the process of loading the old games onto it.

The game will install. The game will launch. The game will play (I can get past character creation and into the tutorial). 1280x768 .ini hack works fine, however any attempt to use this tool will not work (i.e. can launch and play, however the viewable area is centered on the screen with a thick black border all around). Main Menu > Graphics Options > Screen Resolution gives nothing but standard settings. The patcher does not spit an error. I have double-checked my ini settings more times than I care to count.

Suggestions?

I'm comfortable with 1280x768 if that's all that's available to me, but I'd like to take full advantage of my 30-inch monitor if I can.

Thanks in advance.

If you've removed the read-only properties from the game folder and everything in it, then, to the best of my knowledge, it worked, even if Windows 7 says that it hasn't. It does the same thing to me, but then TSLRCM installs perfectly, which it would not be able to do otherwise.

1) Are you trying to patch to 2560x1600?

2) If so, are you hacking the .ini to that res under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options]?

Oh, and my post in the Vista/7 installation thread is pretty much a rough draft and in dire need of a major overhaul.

1) Are you trying to patch to 2560x1600?
No, I've bounce back and forth between 1440x900 and 1680x1050.

) If so, are you hacking the .ini to that res under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options]?
Yep. Even using copy and paste to ensure that I'm not fat-fingering something.

Oh, and my post in the Vista/7 installation thread is pretty much a rough draft and in dire need of a major overhaul.
Still good info. Would've missed it entirely if not for this thread as it still only shows up at Vista from the forum :(

EDIT: FWIW, the copy of mss32.dll that you recommend is a couple of years older than the one included with the patch. In fact, the dll included there has the same date/time stamp as the default. I tried the patch with both dll files and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Are these listed among the supported resolutions in your driver control panel?

The latter is, the former is not. Native is 2560x1600, but I run 1680x1050. NWN2 runs in 1680x1050 without issue (most of my patching attempts were this resolution also. I varied only for troubleshooting purposes).

There is a setting in the nVidia Control Panel under Adjust desktop size and position. "When using a resolution lower than my desktop's native resolution...". I currently have it set to Use NVIDIA scaling, however if I set it to Do Not Scale, Windows behaves exactly like KotOR2 (centered on the screen with thick borders on all sides).

These drivers were downloaded from the nVidia site less than 72 hours ago.

Also, not sure if this matters: my OS is 64-bit and the game is installed on the D:\ drive (separate from the OS).

I have 4 options and that's the one that's greyed out :xp:

Hmmm...this appears to be a Win7 vs nVidia problem. Funny that I made the switch from ATI because I was tired of monkeying around with drivers for KotOR1. I feel like I just came full-circle or something.

Greyed out?

OK, that's very odd. I've heard of (and experienced) the "use Nvidia scaling" option being broken, but not the reverse.

I'm trying to find out why this is happening. The patcher itself seems to be working. When you patch to different resolutions you're getting different sized screens, but with (different sized) borders, right?

Greyed out?
It's there but not selectable. The radio button cannot be filled.

I'm trying to find out why this is happening. The patcher itself seems to be working. When you patch to different resolutions you're getting different sized screens, but with (different sized) borders, right?
Yes.I can see the resolutions changing and the borders change as well, but I cannot play the game in full screen (and I'm not in windowed mode).

Archived