Home

Your first introduction to Sci-Fi/Space Fantasy?

Astor

Since getting DVD boxed sets of Thunderbirds and

for Christmas, I've come to the realisation that these two shows could be considered my first introduction to Sci-Fi, as I remember watching them in the early 90s.

But that got me thinking about all the other programs that helped my love of Sci-Fi to flourish -

, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, and of course, Star Wars, and how other people's love of Sci-Fi began with these shows. In fact, I didn't discover Star Wars until long after i'd seen most of the other shows i've mentioned.

So, what Sci-Fi/Fantasy did you enjoy as a child?

I thought about making a poll, but opted against it, as there's probably far too many options out there.

hehe.. gawdz I remember watching that (Thunderbirds) on the tele as a kid. Between Thunderbirds, Ultraman and Buck Rogers.. I was hooked early on. Battlestar Galactica (the original) was pretty sweet too. I always wanted a daggit of my own. :¬:

Muffit II > Evie :carms:

Star Trek of course was a staple in our household (one of the few series, old & new that got the Family together in one room).. and watching Star Wars at the theaters was like the cream of the crop.

But it never would've happened if it weren't for those early classics to get me hooked.

A friend I knew as a little kid (years 0-7) had tons of star wars stuff. He had the original, unedited VHS trilogy (Han shot first). Got the Special Edition VHS Trilogy for my birthday when I was 7; been hooked ever since.

Started expanding into other sci fi in high school (ST:TNG, Stargate, Dr. Who, Firefly, etc.).

Never been a fan of BSG though (neither the original nor the remake).

My first introduction to Sci-Fi was The Phantom Menace, which led me to watch the Star Wars OT. Star Wars was the benchmark for a long time for me. I mostly skipped the older Sci-Fi movies, but I was too young to understand most of it anyway. Except for 2001: A Space Odyssey, which even at a young age managed to impress me.

GO GO POWER RANGERS *Rockin solo*

5pM1Z5tqTnk0m5yekx9VqmSdo1_500.jpg

Then Star Wars and Jurassic Park. My first video game recollection is the first Tomb Raider game.\

I believe I as introduced to Star Trek FIRST, since my parents are huge Star Trek fans. Star Wars came shortly after that.

Mine was the movie "Escape to Witch Mountain". I found the book in my school library and was hooked on sci-fi after that. I also loved watching Land of the Lost, Battle of the Planets, Buck Rogers, Wonder Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Battlestar Galactica (the real one, not the follow-up), Mork and Mindy, The A-Team, and MacGyver. Good Times.

I do believe it twas Star Wars that seized me.

That moment, when I saw it, and got interested, I had no idea that it would change my entire life.

Edit:Although when I was 2 or so, my stepdad would read books for bedtime, but replace The Tortoise and the Hare with The Origin of Species, and Little Red Riding Hood with General Relativity from A to B.

I don't think you need me to tell you how I turned out as a result.

I have a tiny, sketchy handful of earliest memories from age 2, things which apparently made a great impression on me. Throwing up on a banana. My sister forced me to eat sand in the sandbox. Watching the last Apollo mission moonlanding on television.

That last one turned me on to space sciences in general. Sci fi was a natural progression.

I didn't much like fiction in general though, I was a non-fiction kind of guy, so I never got into fantasy and would far more enjoy sitting down with the full collection of an encyclopedia for a month than reading a novel.

What happened was during primary school Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica were released alongside each other at the theatres. Funny story, nobody knew anything about both these movies, and the plot of Battlestar Galactica sounded more up my alley, so this was actually the first sci fi feature length movie I ever saw. It was years later before I finally saw Star Wars, although I was hooked by then from all the commercial SW products and toys, and had a good collection of action figures and spacecraft by then, had all the comics and the trading cards, read the book about midway through primary school.

In the meantime I watched anything sci fi which came on tele. We only had three channels (later five) so it was either soaps, cartoons, black and white movies (or late night B-grade horror) or sci fi. I grew up on Land of the Lost, Battlestar Galactica series (favourite which became a family event), Six Million Dollar Man, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Space 1999, Bionic Woman, Dr Who, Star Trek, the Thunderbirds, Battle of the Planets and some other manga...there was one with the spacecraft that turned into the Flaming Pheonix and there was another one where they rebuilt the Yamato into a space cruiser, Astroboy, Mork and Mindy, all the classics took me through primary/secondary school.

I was more a sciency kid than a sci fi kid, but I guess Battlestar Galactica started it all off for me, though I found out I enjoyed Star Wars the most. I think I was in about Year 8 when Indiana Jones came out, so that added a new element to my interest in fiction.

I think my first Sci-Fi was actually a book that I read by H.G. Wells called "The Time Machine". And after that it was the TV Series Star Trek (Who could resist watching Spock, Lol, Mr. Pointy Ears), followed by Star Wars: A New Hope of course. But then came Disney's "The Black Hole", I really got excited about this movie for some reason. I think I liked it the most of all, compared to all the other Sci-Fi's that I had seen back then.

hmm...I remember seeing Return of the Jedi in the movie theater and I remember watching Star Trek: TNG when it debuted in '87. I think those might be the first Sci-FI things I remember but there could be a couple others along the way. Either way I was hooked :)

Archived