Home

Will The Old Republic be Available for Macintosh?

Darth Eclipse

Nope, at least not at launch. As long as TOR isn't a complete flop I would bet we'll get a Mac version within a year or two after launch.

I would say thats is about how long I would expect it, but you never know they might surprise us (probably not going to happen though).

Why make a game for maybe 5% of all computers? All the real Mac gamers either got a Windows PC or Boot Camp years ago. Seriously, the only games you'll find on Mac are Blizzard games, and third-party ports made years later by Aspyr Media(who recently shut down). Why make games for a group that aren't known for being gamers?

• 2 weeks later...
Why make a game for maybe 5% of all computers?

Mac sales are skyrocketing.... that percentage is sure to change.... if accurate to begin with. See Apple's recent earnings report.

I am going to purchase my first Mac in over 18 years this year... I started off with an Apple //c, used Mac's for years, then started college and studied computer sci... needless to say, i went pc after that (and really wanted a Next, for you Jobs fans)

I don't quite think Mac purchases will skyrocket. Windows 7 has shook up the PC market, a lot of people have stuck with or went back to Windows for it. You don't make a game for another platform(Mac) because it's possibly getting higher than 5%. Go with the surefire thing instead. All the Mac users who want TOR will just get Boot Camp for TOR.

All the Mac users who want TOR will just get Boot Camp for TOR.

Boot Camp comes with mac, the point being made here is you have to purchase an Windows OS and reboot your computer every time you want to us the PC game. Many people just don't have the money to buy another OS, and unless you use PC only programs a lot there is really no point in getting an alternate OS. So it would be easier (financially, usage wise, etc.) if there was a mac version in addition to the PC version.

Porting from Windows to Mac should be as easy as pie now that they both share the same architecture. Other than different kernels, all other libraries are relatively similar, particularly if BioWare opts for OpenGL and uses other free assets... which about every contemporary software developer happens to utilize. >_>

That's probably right. If Apple wanted I'm sure they could bribe some PC Game makers to start putting their games on Mac(like it's rumored Microsoft paid Square Enix to put FFXIII on 360). Imagine what it'd do for Macs if a few high profile games were released on Mac at the same time as release of the PC version(like Mass Effects 1 and 2, or even TOR). And no, I don't mean Blizzard, they make maybe one game every 5 years.

I think there's a definite schism between the bulk of gamers and the bulk of Mac owners. Why? Gamers tend to be technologically advanced, and Mac owners tend to be the opposite. This is obviously not a strict rule, but most techies are turned off by the lack of flexibility that Macs offer, despite the fact that they might be better products in other aspects.

I hear you break your Mac's warranty if you replace even a single piece of hardware. That doesn't mesh well with gamers. You'd have to get a whole new gaming PC once every couple years, which would put a Gaming Mac as basically just being a more expensive console. Having to outright replace your computer every couple years(as opposed to replacing a part here and there over time) is just contradictory to what PC Gamers are used to.

I don't mean Blizzard, they make maybe one game every 5 years.

QFT :lol:

Porting from Windows to Mac should be as easy as pie now that they both share the same architecture. Other than different kernels, all other libraries are relatively similar, particularly if BioWare opts for OpenGL and uses other free assets... which about every contemporary software developer happens to utilize. >_>

Indeed.

Archived