Home

An interesting Fan Theory on the Prequels

True_Avery

Warning possibility of spoilers.

It was an excellent read, I think it generally a logical take of having the two films tie together, though, I still think it is more of a rationalisation rather than how Lucas meant it, it always seemed to me Lucas made the Prequels without having gone near the Original Trilogy since he made them - at least it seems to me, you could only contradict yourself so by doing the above.

I do think this guys trieste shows he is a film fan, but hasn't heard much about the EU stuff Star Wars has done - however given that most Star Wars EU is utter poo, that isn't I suppose a bad thing.

I did disagree with this bit;

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
When they reach Yavin, Han decides to take the money and run and Chewie decides to go with him. Looked at in cold light, it's for the good of the Rebellion. Even if Yavin is destroyed, there'll be one agent who knows what's going on who can try and put something back together, but he doesn't feel good about it. When Han decides to turn around and join the attack, Chewie is all for it.

I always imagine it was Chewie who persuaded Han to go back, but meh, c'est la vie!

That actually...makes...sense.

What doesn't however is that Chewie and Han met under different circumstances that could be explained - or rationalized - further: They met when Han saved Chewie from slavery.

Also I really would prefer it if that one guy who created the 70 Minute Phantom Menace review that sounds like he's a half-asleep drugged up Jabba the Hutt created this and made a video of it.

It'd be a lot more hilarious if he were behind the wheel.

A good read, especially considering the odd connections made between Episode III and IV. The major qualm I had, however, was Chewie's 'huge' role in the whole thing; I'm not doubting his intelligence, but he just doesn't seem to be, er, inconspicuous. :p

That's the beauty of it! If the Empire looked at all the Rebels, who would think the big, lumbering, growling, ape-man was the one who was manipulating the whole thing? There's no way any of the Empire's intelligence officers would report that the Wookie was their biggest threat. They would be laughed at.

Hiding in plain sight, Litofsky! Hiding in plain sight!

Chewie is very conspicuous, but no one would ever expect him to be a mastermind of anything!

Though, I doubt that was ever Lucas' intent. It still fits perfectly and really changes the dimensions of the movie!

A good read, especially considering the odd connections made between Episode III and IV. The major qualm I had, however, was Chewie's 'huge' role in the whole thing; I'm not doubting his intelligence, but he just doesn't seem to be, er, inconspicuous. :p

“In all your present acts and surroundings there is a scientific attempt at secrecy… May I ask why, after taking all this trouble… you then parade your whole secret by talking about anarchism to every silly woman in Saffron Park?”

“The history of the thing might amuse you,” he said. “When first I became one of the New Anarchists I tried all kinds of respectable disguises. I dressed up as a bishop…. When on my first appearing in episcopal gaiters in a drawing-room I cried out in a voice of thunder, ‘Down! down! presumptuous human reason!’ they found out in some way that I was not a bishop at all. I was nabbed at once.

“Then I made up as a millionaire; but I defended Capital with so much intelligence that a fool could see that I was quite poor.

“Then I tried being a major… I was nabbed again.

“At last I went in despair to the President of the Central Anarchist Council, who is the greatest man in Europe.”

”I said to him, ‘What disguise will hide me from the world? What can I find more respectable than bishops and majors?’

"‘You want a safe disguise, do you? You want a dress which will guarantee you harmless; a dress in which no one would ever look for a bomb?’

I nodded. He suddenly lifted his lion’s voice. ‘Why, then, dress up as an anarchist, you fool!’ Nobody will ever expect you to do anything dangerous then.’

…”I took his advice, and have never regretted it. I preached blood and murder to those women day and night, and–by God!–they would let me wheel their perambulators.”

Litof, where would you hide a leaf? :p

Okay, this guy was way out of the loop on things.

As we now know, the rebel Alliance was founded by Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Bail Organa.
Untrue. Bail Organa was an original founding member, but Kenobi and Yoda were not involved. How anybody thought at the end where the discussion to hide the Skywalker twins or where Obi-Wan and Yoda were going to hide as a moment where the Rebellion was founded is beyond me.

As we learned from the game The Force Unleashed, the Rebellion was formed then. In case some of you didn’t know, George Lucas helped with the story. I realize this guy wrote this five years ago, well before TFU ever came out, but I would have still argued it. I only used TFU as a reference in case you still were unsure of what I was saying.

What can readily be deduced is that their first recruit, who soon became their top field agent, was R2-D2.
Now this is too funny.

Consider: at the end of RotS, Bail Organan orders 3PO's memory wiped but not R2's.
That was Anakin’s former droid was a big reason. Do I really need to explain this? :rolleyes:

He wouldn't make the distinction casually. Both droids know that Yoda and Obi-Wan are alive and are plotting sedition with the Senator from Alderaan. They know that Amidala survived long enough to have twins and could easily deduce where they went. However, R2 must make an impassioned speech to the effect that he is far more use to them with his mind intact

Artoo making an impassioned speech? What movie did he watch? That never happened for one. Do I really need to explain the rest? Then there was Bail’s out of the blue comment about wiping Threepio’s memory as if there was no debate to it.

he has observed Palpatine and Anakin at close quarters for many years
Seriously, what was this guy smoking? Palpatine had a lot of alone time with Anakin, which means Artoo wasn’t there. Unless this guy can point out a scene where it happened, he’s just blowing smoke.

[Yoda] is meditating on the future and keeping in touch with Obi-Wan via the ghost of Qui-Gon Jin, which as comm systems go has the virtue of being untappable.
Where was it ever stated that Yoda and Obi-Wan communicated via Qui-Gon Jinn? This guy is speculated it at first and then he made it an assumption and then the assumption turned to fact in his mind.

Obi-Wan, on Tattoine, keeps in touch with Bail Organa and the other Rebel leaders by courier, of which more later.
By courier? Again, what is this guy smoking? :rolleyes:

Star Wars opens, R2 is rushing the Death Star plans to the Rebellion. R2, not Leia. The plans are always in R2.
There was that trap again. Speculation, assumption, and then fact.

Listen to the message that she recorded for Kenobi that can be heard in Kenobi’s home:

Leia: “I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this Artoo unit.”

So basically Leia puts the plans into Artoo and then records a message for Obi-Wan to take the Artoo unit to Bail Organa. How this guy messed it up is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Leia's own mission, as she says in the holographic message, is to pick up Obi-Wan and take him to Alderaan - or so she thinks. Actually, her father just wants her to meet Kenobi, which up to this point she never has. There's a reason for that.

Obi-Wan has spent the last 20 years in the Tattoine desert, keeping watch over Luke Skywalker and trying to decide on one of the three available options:

A) If Luke shows no significant access to the Force, then leave him alone in obscurity

B) If Luke shows real Force ability, then consider recruiting him as a Jedi. The rebellion needs Jedi. Now.

But, if Luke shows any signs of turning out like his father, then C) sneak into his house one fine night and chop his head off. With great regret but it'll save a lot of trouble later on.

Knowing this to be the case, Bail Organa (perhaps at the insistence of his wife) has found excuses not to send Leia to Ben for assessment of Jedi potential, largely for fear of option C.

This totally had too much time on his hands.

Option A isn’t even close to true. The reason why Luke was hidden was because they knew he was strong in the Force. My goodness, he was the son of the Chosen One for starters. If Luke didn’t have any Force potential, there would be really no point in hiding him.

So I just basically shut out Option B since it was basically the same thing, but with a little more added to the option.

Option C? Give me a break! Luke would need to be trained in the ways of the Force and then have to turn out like his father in order for it to be an option. Without training, killing Luke in the middle of the night isn’t even going to happen.

Leia had one mission and that was to bring Kenobi back to Alderaan; to Bail Organa. That’s all it was.

To be fair to all concerned, Leia has shown no overt signs of a link to the Force.
Another BS comment based on personal speculation. :rolleyes:

To him it's easy. Obi-Wan, who saw Anakin's performance in the Pod Race, is nervous.
Qui-Gon saw Anakin’s pod race, not Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan was hanging out on the ship. Again, this guy must have seen another movie than the rest of us.

Much of Obi-Wan's behaviour in this film, and Yoda's in the next, can best be understood if they are frankly scared to death of what Luke might become. (Ben is also scared that he himself will make all the same mistakes he made with Anakin.)
There was no evidence that Obi-Wan was scared of what Luke could become in A New Hope. In fact, he was persistent in recruiting Luke and teaching him the ways of the Force. If Kenobi really felt that way was another thing, but this guy claims by Kenobi’s “behavior” in ANH, but fails to point out how he behaved that way. :rolleyes:

The original plan would then be for Obi-Wan (with optional Luke and/or Leia in tow) to leave his exile and take the Death Star plans to Yavin, where they can be put to use. R2 (with Leia if Ben doesn't want to take her) would then carry on to Alderaan to maintain the cover story.
Oh, this gets better and better? Alderaan as a cover story? Is this guy for real? :rolleyes:

Whatever! Obi-Wan was going to be recruited for the Rebellion as they make their move against the Death Star after the plans were stolen. Leia doesn’t make it there; she’s captured before she makes it to Kenobi. Artoo was entrusted with the plans and find Kenobi so he can bring Artoo to Bail.

[Artoo] arranges to be captured by a group of Jawas and, once on board their transport
What movie is this guy watching again? From what we saw, the Jawas snuck up on Artoo and stunned him. If Artoo “arranged” for his capture, why would have have to be stunned? To fool us as an audience? I mean we’re the only witnesses. If that’s the case, how did this guy get the inside scoop? What did George Lucas call him up to write this and filled him in on it? :rolleyes:

Seeing 3PO fail to recognise the farm where he worked for 10 years
This guy makes another assumption again. Just because Anakin was gone for 10 years before he saw his mother again, doesn’t mean Threepio was on the Lars homestead for that long. It never says how long it took for Shmi to be sold along with Threepio to Cliegg Lars. I know it’s minor compare to everything else this guy has written, but I couldn’t resist. :xp:

On first seeing R2, Obi-Wan has a twinkle in his eye and calls him "my little friend". Well, he is. However, when Luke wakes up and says that R2 claimed to be owned by an Obi-Wan Kenobi, he blandly says "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid." Ben has in fact owned several but the remark is aimed at R2 and translates as "You keep quiet. I'm not about to tell him everything just yet."
Artoo was hiding from the Tuskens at this moment and in the shadows. I doubt Obi-Wan made the connection right away since it had been a couple of decades and very well could be another Artoo unit since they were common.

Besides, Obi-Wan never owned a droid. The droids that worked with him were owned by the Republic and he only made use of those droids when flying a ship.

Again, this guy is just making something out of nothing.

Obi-Wan thinks fast and tells Luke a version of his past that does not involve a father who became a dark lord of the Sith. He wants to examine Luke a lot more closely before he risks telling him the real truth.
The simple fact is that Luke wasn’t ready to hear the truth. That’s all it was.

Although the Death Star plans need to get to Yavin as soon as possible
No, they needed to Alderaan. They even tried to go there instead of Yavin. It was after it was blown up that Yavin became the next stop. Seriously, this guy needs to think before he speaks.

Fortunately, before coming to Tattoine, R2 had already arranged transport, which is waiting at Mos Eisley, under the command of the Rebellion's other chief field agent and espionage asset. Chewbacca.
This guy is truly out of whack. If Artoo truly arranged transport, it would have been mentioned. Something like this would have been said:

Threepio: “Artoo says that he has arranged transport to get us off this planet. We need to go to Mos Eisley and find Chewbacca. He’s a Wookiee who can get us off the planet and take us wherever we need to go.”

No, instead, Luke and Kenobi go to Mos Eisley to find a pilot. That is why this happens in the movie:

Luke: “Do you really think we’re gonna find a pilot here that’ll take us to Alderaan?”

Kenobi: “Most of the best freighter pilots are to be found here only watch your step. This place can be a little rough.”

Again, I would ask for this guy’s proof as he has none. He just speculated and then assumed it and then convinced himself it was fact. :rolleyes:

20 years earlier, Chewbacca was second in command of the defence of his planet. He's there in the tactical conferences and there on the front lines and is a personal friend of Yoda's. When he needed reliable people to join the embryonic Alliance, who else would Yoda turn to but his old friend from Kashykk? Given his background, there is no way that Chewie would spend the crucial years of the rebellion as the second-in-command to (sorry Han) a low-level smuggler. Unless it's his cover. In fact, Chewie is a top-line spy and flies what is in many ways the Rebellion's best ship.
This guy really loves blowing smoke doesn’t he? If what he said about Chewie was true, then Han Solo isn’t in on it. I mean he was a mercenary and expected payment to fly Luke and Kenobi to Alderaan. Not exactly what you would expect from someone who is worked on the inside for the Rebellion.

What this guy needs to understand that people can change in a 20 year period. Chewie’s life was different. His planet was taken over and this point he owed a life debt to Han Solo. So whatever Han Solo does, Chewie goes along with it. This basically cancels out what this guy thinks about Chewbacca.

The Millenium Falcon may look like a beat-up old freighter but it can outrun any Imperial ship in normal space or hyperspace, hang in a firefight with a Star Destroyer or outmaneouvre a dozen top-of-the-line TIE fighters. It's a remarkable feat of engineering and must have cost a colossal fortune to build. How does Han come to own a ship like that? He only thinks he does, actually it's Chewie's.
I’m sorry, but this guy is officially an idiot. What this guy has is a wild imagination, but no logic skills to put it in check. :rolleyes:

Anyway, so all that talk about how Han Solo won the ship from Lando was a cover story to fool us as an audience? Because that is exactly what this guy just implied by that statement.

Half-way through RotS, we see the Falcon landing at the Senate building on Coruscant. If it's the same ship (which of course it is) then it was the personal transport of one of the senatorial delegations
That scene was put in there just to make a cameo for fun. It wasn’t meant to have some sort of deep meaning. It would have helped if he actually did some research before writing this.

In fact, if the delegation is the one from Kashykk, then the ship may have belonged to Chewbacca as early as RotS.
WOW! I guess Lando never owned it. That would mean it was all a big cover story just to fool us as an audience. In fact, Han Solo owning it was all one big lie according to this guy. What an idiot. :rolleyes:

I can keep commenting on everything he says as he talks so much BS, but I’ll only highlight on the most bizarre things.

Soon afterwards, R2 finds Leia in the detention cells and shouts that they have to rescue her, to which Chewie can only agree. If Vader learns he has a daughter, then they're all in deep trouble, so Chewie does his bit to persuade Han to go along with Luke's plan.
I doubt Chewbacca was in on the fact that Vader had twin children. But don’t tell this guy. :rolleyes:

At this point, Chewie suddenly realises that he's been left in charge, not only of the Death Star Plans and the survival of the Rebellion but of the secret son and daughter of Darth Vader.
Yeah, I guess Chewie was calling the shots off-screen while Leia did it onscreen all to fool us as an audience. Then later this guy gets a call from George Lucas telling him the truth and he writes all about it. :rolleyes:

Chewie's first problem is what is happening between Luke and Leia. With a psychic link they can feel but don't understand, thrown together in a life-or-death escape, they are looking at each other with a sparky intensity that Chewie gradually recognises as Romantic Tension. He's no expert on human relationships but Chewie is fairly sure that that's Wrong, so he does the only thing he can under the circumstances - he throws Han at her. Han is at first not interested but after a while starts to warm to the idea with an intensity that gives Chewie new worries.
So it wasn’t Han’s hormones that made him attracted to Leia and to go after her. It was all Chewie. WOW! It just gets better and better! Seriously, this guy needs to develop his logic skills and fast. :rolleyes:

When they reach Yavin, Han decides to take the money and run and Chewie decides to go with him. Looked at in cold light, it's for the good of the Rebellion. Even if Yavin is destroyed, there'll be one agent who knows what's going on who can try and put something back together, but he doesn't feel good about it. When Han decides to turn around and join the attack, Chewie is all for it.

No, what happened is Luke tried to convince Han to join them.

Luke: “They can use a good pilot like you. You’re turning your back on them.”

Han: “What good’s a reward if you ain’t around to use it?” Besides, attacking that battle station ain’t my idea of courage. It’s more like… suicide.”

Luke: “All right. Take care of yourself, Han. I guess that’s what you’re best at isn’t it?”

Han: “Hey Luke. May the Force be with you.”

[Chewie growls at Han]

Han: “What are you looking at? I know what I’m doing.”

Chewbacca was opposed to it and if that was the case, why didn’t Chewie pull rank on him if he was in fact in charge and the Falcon was his ship?

Han and Luke get medals but Chewie doesn't. Actually, Leia offers him one but Chewie turns it down. He got one of those things from Yoda about 20 years ago, but there's no way he can tell her that.
Chewbacca got a medal from Yoda? When did that happen? Did this guy watch a version of ROTS that we didn’t? Whatever! :rolleyes:

I’m sorry, but I’ve never seen someone mess up so much on the Star Wars movies. I bet if George Lucas read that, he would have fallen out of his seat laughing.

That's the beauty of it! If the Empire looked at all the Rebels, who would think the big, lumbering, growling, ape-man was the one who was manipulating the whole thing? There's no way any of the Empire's intelligence officers would report that the Wookie was their biggest threat. They would be laughed at.

Hiding in plain sight, Litofsky! Hiding in plain sight!

Chewie is very conspicuous, but no one would ever expect him to be a mastermind of anything!

That's entirely true, but I'll defer to Shem's mentioning of the life debt that would cancel out whatever obligations Chewie held previously.

Litof, where would you hide a leaf? :p

On a tree? :xp:

No, I do see the points that you two were trying to make; hiding in plain sight works is the best way to hide. I wasn't doubting that at all, but rather the person who was attempting to hide. At some point, having a Wookie around is going to raise eyebrows.

Or maybe he's only seen the films and isnt aware of other cannon?

If Shem referenced any canon EU material other than TFU in his post, I missed it. Besides, the fact remains that the author of "A New Sith" is full of **** if he really thinks there is anything in the movies to indicate Obi-Wan or Yoda were involved with the rebellion (or even Bail himself. As far as I know, everything in RotS that involved the rebellion was cut).

Also, Shem, take a chill pill. Seriously.

/agree. Refuting this bogus article shouldn't require a post even half as long as Shem's. More to the point, using the eye-rolling smiley face a dozen times in one post cannot be good for a person's mental health.

If Shem referenced any canon EU material other than TFU in his post, I missed it. Besides, the fact remains that the author of "A New Sith" is full of **** if he really thinks there is anything in the movies to indicate Obi-Wan or Yoda were involved with the rebellion (or even Bail himself. As far as I know, everything in RotS that involved the rebellion was cut).

Any back story such as how Han and Chewie know each other such as them having a life debt, is EU, it's Empire at War, which is EU.

Personally I quite like the theory, it's all just one persons take on the films, but I think it's possible events could have happened that way doesn't mean I think they did. But I think it's as legitimate as anyone else's take on the films; we are after all talking about a fictional film series, last time I checked people could come up with their own theories... Is there anything to link Obi-Wan and Yoda to the rebellion, no? But you could read into it, if you wish that they started it.

Or maybe he's only seen the films and isnt aware of other cannon?
I would disagree with that as he really had a lot of thought put into it. From my experience you don't put that kind of thought into it if you're not into the series. The problem is he had way too much time thinking about it and started treating his theories as fact. I've seen it several times when the Prequels were being made and all by fans who were passionate for Star Wars.

Besides, even if this guy didn't know much about the EU, he clearly didn't pay attention in the movies very well by a lot of the comments he made. That is why I pointed those out specifically. If he had truly payed attention to just the movies by themselves, he would have to retract many of his statements.

This.

Also, Shem, take a chill pill. Seriously.

Avery, I'm just a person who comes on very strong at times. It's natural for me to be that type of person. It's not me foaming at the mouth or anything. Believe me, if that was the case, you would have saw something totally different.

The reason for such a detail debunking is because of comments like these:

Very interesting. Well done:golfclap:

that is very very interesting, its well thought out and for once with a fan theory actually sounds like GL would approve, hell I'd go so far as saying it could be very close to GL's ideas

That actually...makes...sense.
It's how some people bye into things so easily at times that make me scratch my head. The fact is it wasn't well thought out. This guy just has this wild imagination about things and gets carried away before thinking it through carefully.

agree. Refuting this bogus article shouldn't require a post even half as long as Shem's.
Like I said, too many people were being a little gullible. I figured if they came back to see what others have to say, they can learn something.

More to the point, using the eye-rolling smiley face a dozen times in one post cannot be good for a person's mental health.
What are you saying? :rolleyes:

;)

It's how some people bye into things so easily at times that make me scratch my head. The fact is it wasn't well thought out. This guy just has this wild imagination about things and gets carried away before thinking it through carefully.

And this person who wrote this had certainly an evil agenda: to rip off the poor readers money, rape their wives, steal their childeren, nuke Wales. :rolleyes:

You make it seem like he did something EVIL. :confused: All I read was a fun fan theory, on how things could have worked more behind the scenes of the movies. What the write mentions most is what you didn't see, but is possible in the extent of how certain characters are.

Is it really that hard to imagine that Organa might had a talk with Obi-wan about the rebellion ? R2 being a handy clever spy ?

For me no. So in that light I could follow this well, though you made some nice points, this theory is highly unlikely. I found that this person at least, infact IMO; made up a better story then GL did...

Anyway, carry on, it seems long text posts are all the rage now :¬:

Archived