Home

Sarah Palin signs on as a commentator with Fox News

Ulmont

_47090171_palin_afp_226b.jpg

Sarah Palin signs on as a commentator with Fox News

Sarah Palin at a book signing in Virginia

Mrs Palin has growing popularity among US conservatives

Former Governor of Alaska Sarah Palin has signed to be a contributor on the Fox News Channel, her lawyer has said.

Mrs Palin, who ran for the post of vice-president during the 2008 election on a Republican ticket, stepped down as Alaska governor in July 2009.

Fox News said that while Mrs Palin would not have her own programme, she would appear on the channel regularly as part of a multi-year deal.

Financial details of the deal have not been released.

"I am thrilled to be joining the great talent and management team at Fox News," Mrs Palin said in a statement on the network's website.

"It's wonderful to be part of a place that so values fair and balanced news."

Fox's executive vice-president for programming, Bill Shine, said Mrs Palin had "captivated everyone on both sides of the political spectrum".

"We are excited to add her dynamic voice to the Fox News line-up," he added.

Mrs Palin was catapulted to fame when Republican presidential candidate John McCain surprisingly chose her as his running mate for the 2008 election.

News of her resignation as governor 17 months before her term in office was up had prompted speculation that she was planning to pursue a career in television.

The Washington Post reports that as well as appearing as a commentator on a variety of shows on the channel, she would occasionally host a programme featuring "inspirational tales involving ordinary Americans".

Correspondents say hiring Sarah Palin is likely to further increase the network's ratings with conservative viewers.

Facebook page

A number of Republican commentators already work for the network, among them George W Bush's former aide Karl Rove, former House speaker Newt Gingrich, and John McCain's rival for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination, Mike Huckabee.

Until now, Mrs Palin has mainly used her page on the social networking site Facebook to update her more than one million followers.

Regular appearances on a major network could further increase her support among conservatives.

Her appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show in November 2009, during which she said a run for the White House in 2012 was "not on my radar screen right now", boosted the programme's ailing ratings.

It is not the first time Mrs Palin will be signing on with a TV station. In the 1980s she worked part-time as a sports presenter for the KTUU station in Anchorage, Alaska.

Awww, she makes me laugh sometimes. No offence intended but..........

[You can skip the following rant if you wish, it's a tad bit anti, no flaming intended]

Ah, Sarah Palin and Fox News, now that’s interesting. The dumbest woman in America joins up with the least credible news station in America (tabloids and mental patients excepted). It’s like Forest Gump joining the Three Stooges. Ah, I’ll never forget those first words I heard from her mouth, “I can see Alaska from my front door.” Yeah, and I can see the moon from mine, so that must mean I have the experience necessary for dealings with aliens. Thankfully, she’s gained a few brain cells since that time, being a biological miracle and whatnot. She even learned how to write, or at least dictate. There must be something in that imported maple syrup. And what does she say, "It's wonderful to be part of a place that so values fair and balanced news." Aw, so naïve, she doesn’t realize that Fox is about as anti-Democrat as you can get. Of course, CNN is as anti-Republican as you can get, so they’re even. Just keep on smiling Sarah, just keep on smiling.

So, thoughts? Will she become a star, a flop, or something even more cliche?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it was only a matter of time. With her book doing so well and her being jobless after, you know, quitting her elected job it isn't surprising in the least to see her signing on with someone to commentate. Personally, I thought she was going to get a radio show, but commentator works all the same. I am, however, curious to see how her show will match against Glenn Beck's. I have a hunch her addition to Fox will boost their ratings to inhumane levels.

If anything, this will at least give Jon and Colbert a whole new plate full of awesome to fill my day with joy.

Oh, and I do hope she gets elected as President next election. I really, really do. Half because I really don't care anymore, and half because it'd just be so ****ing funny.

[You can skip the following rant if you wish, it's a tad bit anti, no flaming intended]

Ah, Sarah Palin and Fox News, now that’s interesting. The dumbest woman in America joins up with the least credible news station in America (tabloids and mental patients excepted). It’s like Forest Gump joining the Three Stooges. Ah, I’ll never forget those first words I heard from her mouth, “I can see Alaska from my front door.” ?

Well, 3 things, actually. If she'd said Alaska (not Russia) then'd she'd have been unquestionably correct......she lives there, afterall. :xp: As to the most discredited network.......that'd be MSNBC, hands down winner (unless your oversight was a tacit admission that it ain't really a news station).;) The rest of the stations (abc/cbs/nbc) are about as "anti-repub" as CNN and are only "news stations" by default.

@TA--even assuming she could win, I doubt that she'll run (at least if she's smarter than her critics give her credit for). Still, whoever came in with her couldn't really be any worse than this crowd of bumbling incompetents. Frankly, I'll just be happy if the dems get slaughtered this year and Obama is a 1 termer like that fool Carter.

Now, if Biden joined CNN, the political humor/gaffe circle would be complete. She'll be a success on Fox, and Stewart and Colbert will enjoy even more success poking fun at some of the more amusing things she'll say. Love her or hate her, she'll be entertaining in a variety of ways.

Now, if Biden joined CNN, the political humor/gaffe circle would be complete.

Or our esteemed Speaker of the House. Take your pick.

I agree that this is probably going to be entertaining as hell, because it's inevitable that, sooner or later, she's bound to "go rogue" and deviate from what her handlers tell her to say in her never-ending quest to achieve new levels of idiocy.

Well, though I wouldn't have picked her, she's no worse than the detritus from the other side. But, hell, I still think that Hilary was overhyped as well ("smartest woman in the world".....sheesh, talk about hyperbole). Still not sure how the current holder got in on any merits (beyond "not being Bush"). Seems her major problem is that she sounds like a bit of a hayseed to many peoples' ears, well....that and she's the complete antithesis of what any modern lib/progressive wants in a female candidate (pro-life, pro traditional marriage, and charasmatic in the eyes of many people in "flyover country").

If I obtain a fatwa, can I legally assassinate Palin per the clause that she is an enemy of Islam, y/n?

That answer depends. In any Islamic court or country you might stand a chance in hell... ;)

Well, in fairness, that want the same from a male candidate. It's just more gauling to many of them (yourself notwithstanding) that any woman running for office wouldn't share their agenda. As to the "f***ing retard" stuff.......it seems to be a bipartisan problem. :p

Well, in fairness, that want the same from a male candidate. It's just more gauling to many of them (yourself notwithstanding) that any woman running for office wouldn't share their agenda. As to the "f***ing retard" stuff.......it seems to be a bipartisan problem. :p

I don't think her gender is really be called into queston. The ability to string two thoughts together without the words "you betcha", "maverick", or "terrorist" are.

If she could sit down and rationalize any of her viewpoints, regardless of if I agreed with them or not, I'd respect her more. As it stands, every time she is given a mic she proves her career in politics and fame to be complete luck. Jae, I find, shares quite a few stances with Palin but I respect Jae's opinion because I can sit down with her and debate the topic in a rational, thought provoking way. Palin dodged questions and claims she can see Russia.

If anything, she is only famous -because- she is a female politician because she certainly wont shut up about it. I'm of the opinion McCain chose her solely on her gender and not on any other qualities in order to pull the female vote from Hilary, and her party seems to love her because she's a working mom or some BS.

I hate her because she is an idiot, and one of the worst examples of the "right" I can think of. Her mere presence harms the party she is trying to help who, inversely, only love her because she is a working woman.

Her claim to fame may be sexist. My hatred of her is not.

That's why I caveated my statement that way. I took you at your word. Not all prog-libs share your feelings, though. Your opening shots at her confirm my comment about her sounding to people like a hayseed. If she dodged questions.....that seems to be a professional failing of nearly everyone in public life, so not a big enough disqualifier...less you're looking to flush everyone out of the system. I don't believe she's an idiot, but I do find it very amusing that many of her detractors behave as though they're having an anyeurism and sputter accordingly. I do agree, however, that she's not ready to be president (but hell, neither is Obama). Far as I'm concerned, the top of any ticket is of concern, but of greater concern are the people who come in with them. A shaky prez can be salvaged by a competent support structure, but even a decent prez is hobbled by incompetents (regardless of party, as this is an apolitical observation). I think she was brought on to court the "right" w/in the party due to McCain's shaky support in that area. But, frankly, I think all the brainpower sits behind the throne in most cases and not on it.

Fair enough. I'm not calling her a yokel, but pointing out that she is probably one of the worst public speakers to come along in awhile... well, second to Biden. She may be intelligent, but she shows no signs of it as far as I can tell.

As far as dodging questions goes, yes all politicians do it. But some do it well... and Palin does it badly. Again, her use of the art of politics makes her look dumber than she may be.

Who knows, maybe she is the best mind of our generation. She is just very good at hiding it under her podium of everyone not on the coast being the "real" Americans and other such bizarre tid bits from her speeches.

As far as what she is qualified for... I don't think she was qualified for president, vice, and apparently governor since she quit that job half way through to pursue... something.

I think her career, speeches, and so on justify my belief on her idiocy but if you disagree... well, I wont try to force your opinion on the matter.

Archived