Home

If I won the lottery...

purplecleo

I've always said that if I won the lottery I would spare no expense in convincing the makers of the Monkey Island games to create updated versions that are compatible with The Future (you know, computers these days).

And then, a few days ago I found The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition. I downloaded it the moment I got my paycheck. And I spent all day in my bathrobe playing through it, switching back and forth between the old graphics and the new. It only took me 5 hours, significantly less than it did when I was 6 years old, playing the game for the first time. Back when there was no internet. Back when I believed that there WAS a second disk that could be inserted when Guybrush examines the stump in the forest of Melee Island.

I used to visit my dad on summer vacations and, lacking any real parenting skill, he left me mostly to my own devices. I chose to sit in front of the computer for hours (at the time I didn't have a computer at my mom's house, I'm surprised I even knew what a computer was. In fact I think Monkey Island is what taught me how to use a computer mouse. Man, we didn't even have educational kids games back then. Think about how much less intelligent I might be without Monkey Island!). I remember the stuffy office in which I became a cyborg for most of my visits to my father's house, glues to the chair and the ionic smell of the old, static-y computer monitor.

I found myself thinking today - Almost 20 years have gone by! Monkey Island must have shaped my life in so many unthinkable ways - I don't know what those things are but they don't call them your formative years for nothin'! Since I played it the first time I learned that I liked cucumbers and avocados, dropped out of high school, lost my virginity, learned to drive, become legally old enough to drink, bought my first car, gone back to school, got married, moved across the country several times, LOLcats and things like "omgwtfbbq!!!1" hadn't been invented/discovered yet ...I don't know about you but I hadn't really thought of my life in those terms until today.

Anyway...I just spent an hour trying to get Monkey Island 2 to run with sound on my futuristic 2006 era PC. I would totally pay the MI team ANY AMOUNT THEY WANTED remake all the games so that they are compatible and then go back and make another game in the style of the first. Maybe a prequel. Or maybe I could pay them to put ME in the game. And also a unicorn.

Seriously though, MI team: Please remake MI 2 just as you have remade MI 1. It's a genius concept and though I am not currently a lottery winner, $10 for a download is an amount I'd happy shell out and tell my friends about. In fact, my facebook was blowing up with Monkey Island nostalgia today. You need free advertising you just let me know, okay? Srsly. For reallies.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm guessing he doesn't know what ScummVM is... especially being that he learned the computer from playing MI. However, that IS an awesome way to teach a kid to learn the computer. That being said, as we all know, by the time I post this reply, MI2 is already rereleased through Steam.

But I'll give you a good pointer Purple Cleo (like how I broke that up and made it appropriate?), the original Monkey was a genius creation that shaped my life as well. When my kids are old enough to play games, I'm starting them off on Monkey Island, Loom and Lemmings. Old school is sometimes the best school.

And by the way... lots of cheese is definitely a positive way to spend lottery money. Who wouldn't agree?

Oh, and PS... if I won the lottery instead, I wouldn't be worried about a remake, reinvention, or anything else of what has already been done or probably will be done with Monkey Island. No... instead, I'd invest in the production of a quality grade-A Monkey Island movie on the stipulation that the creative mind behind the project be none other than Ron Gilbert. The end.

• 3 years later...

Archived