• Yes
    • Yes: only co-op
    • yes: only at home
    • Both
    • Used to
    • No: would like to though
    • No: I have never and have no interest
    • Ya know Yoda Homeschooled!

I'm with my bro, marty, on this one. Best thing about regular school? The chicks. Beacuse, really, unless you're a creepy pedo, where else are you gonna get it on with teenage girls?

Priorities people!

The thing about school that I discovered, at least for myself, was that there was absolutely no point trying to force me to learn anything I didn't want to learn. If there was something interesting being taught, like history or something, then I'd be in class and listen and do all I could to learn whatever it was and ace everything... otherwise, with stuff that I didn't care about, I just didn't bother with, sometimes not even showing up to class, it didn't matter.

Another thing I've noticed, and I think people are just beginning to understand this only in recent years (at least in Australia) is that the academic side isn't as important for children's learning as their social environment.

If you have a sound social environment, you have less to worry about and end up learning more depending on what kind of kid you are. In my early years of school I struggled socially and was stressed with trying to learn stuff... at times it seemed way too hard. Then, all of a sudden in high school, my social life ended up being really good. Girlfriend, good friends, lots of fun... I found learning stuff to be a lot easier since I was a lot more relaxed.

Granted, I learned what I wanted and said "to hell" with the rest, but that's just me as an individual and no fixed schooling structure is going to keep me conforming to state standards :p

I can understand why some people home school, though. Parents feel if they cut the social aspect out of school (since many see it as a distraction for their kids) then they'll just focus on the academic side of things...

...I am so glad I was never home schooled. I know for sure that I would have missed out on a lot of great experiences and a lot of fun.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a Finn, I've always viewed the concept of home schooling as something, well, strange. .....

Going to school without the social aspect feels utterly horrible. :/

In the same boat here. I don't think it's easy here in Belgium to be allowed to school your children at home. Because, parents are to biased with their own opinions on certain subjects.

In school you at least get a "neutrale" view. I think it's very uncommen in Europe. The school system ain't perfect, but it beats most other countries :p

Well only on a few certain aspects. Sports and all are often far better handled in the USA, then it is around here...

Can't say much more, cause it is "alien" :lol:

I've been homeschooled since kindergarden. My mother decided to homeschool my sisters and me because, frankly, the schools in the area didn't offer decent educations. Until I was in the second grade, my mother had my sisters and me in a local social program offered to homeschoolers, just so we wouldn't be afraid to be around people. At that point, the entire program went downhill, so she pulled us out and just educated us at home. From then on, we did plenty of church activities to continue socializing.

My oldest sister has gotten a Bachelor's Degree in commercial writing. She graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 average, and she's getting her Master's Degree right now. Socially, she's done just fine. My other sister just started college last year; she's also doing well socially and academically.

As far as my own education goes--well, I think I have a decent one. My mother, before she started teaching my siblings and me, was an OBGYN and did well in school/college/medical school/residency. She teaches science and math very well; she didn't know much about history, but to teach us, she read literally hundreds of detailed books on the subject. She's followed that pattern since; if she doesn't know something, she uses the internet, library, and anything else she can to learn it so she can teach it to me.

Also, she's very strict about my education; I simply don't get away with D's and F's. If I get a bad grade, I also get the joy of relearning whatever I made that grade on.

As far as my social life...well, it's not great. When I was in junior high, we had to move to a different state, and we have yet to find a church without a snotty youth group. At the church we're going to now, the youth group pretty much shuns me--I don't know why, so I just sit there and read a book until the lesson starts. I have one friend; I only see her on Wednesday nights. Still, I can handle talking to people when the need arises; I will admit that I'm a little uncomfortable talking to boys, but when I have to, I can.

A few people have mentioned that a lot of homeschoolers aren't exposed to other religions and ideas. The main reason I started hanging around on forums (and the reason my mother encouraged me to do so) is so I won't be completely naive concerning other people's views. Also, my mom's been teaching me about other religions and ideas for years, long before I even knew how to use the internet.

I know I'm not going to be as hardened as someone who's gone to public or private school. I also know that I'm getting a lot more science than I would if I were going to public or private school, and I'm probably getting a little more math 'cuz I'm continuing it through the summers.

In the end, homeschooling varies from parent to parent. Some homeschoolers just read a few books and call it school; others are a lot better.

Anyway...I'm gonna go do my homework. :lol:

Just to let you know, I only started homeschooling when I was 3rd grade, so I'm not completely ignorant ya know. :p

I didn't mean to say that you couldn't have deep conversations in public school, I'm saying you don't have a lot of time to have them with you're parents. They agree with me. My parents are pretty lax, so I get the education I need, and get to keep my wholesome projects (mods, stop motion animation, voice acting) going.

For me, homeschool gives me the perfect amount of schoolwork, to the point where I don't have the problem of not wanting to learn something.

And the whole "not social thing" is total crap. I've got plenty of friends, and being with homeschoolers filters out most types of people that I don't want to know. No offense, but I have no interest in talking to "normal" people. I have friends from church, cooking class, and neighbors.

So in my opinion, homeschool is the best. I don't have to wake up obscenely early, don't drown in homework, get to keep up with my various projects, get dress however I like, get to eat whatever I want, I can help my mom by babysitting while I do school, get to go about doing school at my own pace and at my terms, avoid jerk bullies, and have a social life that is perfect for me.

That is my opinion, if you have a different opinion, "De Gustibus non Disputandum est" (About Tastes there is no argument in Latin)

JM

He's only 13. He'll figure out sooner or later that "normal" people don't suck any more than the people he hangs out with now.

Everyone achieves their own unique level of suckitude, and he's going to have to figure out that the "not normal" people suck just as bad as the "normal" ones before he can move on. That's going to involve the loss of his innocence (which obviously hasn't happened yet) and it won't be pretty, given his level of naiveté. No better time than the present, though.

@JM: On some level or another your parents are full of it and they're lying to you. :devsmoke:

So in my opinion, homeschool is the best. I don't have to wake up obscenely early, don't drown in homework, get to keep up with my various projects, get dress however I like, get to eat whatever I want, I can help my mom by babysitting while I do school, get to go about doing school at my own pace and at my terms, avoid jerk bullies, and have a social life that is perfect for me.

In short; the professionals disagree with you, the only conclusion they have really made is;

“So far at least, the results do not indicate home-schoolers are at a disadvantage”

However I found the following study interesting for it's observations

Historically, homeschooled students seem to have outperformed, on average, non-homeschooled students. However, in recent years, more people are choosing to go into homeschooling for their children for one reason or another, and this may have changed the demographics of home educated students in a manner that impacted the differences of performance on standardized tests between the two groups. But how much change is there in regard to performance on standardized tests is there? To answer this question in part, two datasets of response vectors for homeschooled and for non-homeschooled children for the same form of an ACT mathematics test were obtained. (p. 2)

He then conducted a careful statistical analysis of a large sample of students while controlling for the four background variables of grade level, gender, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status (SES). After employing control of the background variables, Qaqish found a slight difference in scores. “On average, non-homeschoolers performed better than homeschoolers, by about two items, out of sixty items, on the ACT mathematics test that was analyzed” (p. 11). He then posited the following: “This result may be due to the different teaching/learning media used in teaching each of the two groups, to different teacher/student interaction, or to the number of years homeschooled before taking the ACT mathematics test. More investigative research is needed in this regard” (p. 11).

Source; Online Educational Journal (for the U.S.)

“On average, non-homeschoolers performed better than homeschoolers”

I'm 13, but I don't care about the difference between "normal" people and "abnormal" people. To me, they're just all people :), because nobody is perfect or normal, and everybody is different from each other.

I know a few kids who are home schooled and they turned out great. However, some have failed miserably. That is why I said that I prefer reg schooling. I gotta agree with J7 on Normal schooling gives better success rates than homeschool

Archived