• Both
    • Used to
    • No: would like to though
    • No: I have never and have no interest
    • Ya know Yoda Homeschooled!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear that some teachers are getting replaced by low-wage earning Vietnamese people (not being racist) who have no teaching credentials. My grandpa is being forced to retire, and I bet that they will use the lowwage people to replace him. They have already done this in plenty of colleges

I hear that some teachers are getting replaced by low-wage earning Vietnamese people (not being racist) who have no teaching credentials. My grandpa is being forced to retire, and I bet that they will use the lowwage people to replace him. They have already done this in plenty of colleges

Okay, first of all, most government offices have an age at which they force you to retire. It differs from agency to agency, but it's generally around the mid-sixties (Social Security also can be taken anywhere between 62-68. I wonder why?). It sucks to be forced to retire, but I digress.

Generally, states and local governments want to collect taxes. The collected money is used to improve infrastructure, improve social services, etc. By improving the standard of living in one area, the (local/state) government hopes to attract more people into a specific area, thus bolstering revenue in new tax money. More people = more money.

So, why would any self-respecting county/state even think about hiring "Vietnamese people" to teach at a school; in doing so, they are placing the reputation of their county at risk, and any future revenue in tax dollars quickly dissipates.

To make this much simpler, that's absolutely crazy, the blatant racist comment aside. Putting "not being racist" does nothing to alleviate the meaning of a comment directed at a group of individuals.

As far as my social life...well, it's not great. When I was in junior high, we had to move to a different state, and we have yet to find a church without a snotty youth group.

Awww, that sucks. Same here too :(. Youth groups have never been nice to me. Some would argue that I'm not making an effort, but I was the new guy? Shouldn't they make ME welcome?

But anyways, that's a completely different topic. On to homeschooling.

I went to public school. It was an interesting experience to say the least. I can definitely say that it helped me develop some social skills, but not all of them. Seeing as I'm more of a shy person to begin with, it's not that surprising. I'm still better off than where I would have been for sure.

Social activities that were separate from school never worked great for me. It usually ended up more stressful than enjoyable. That's probably just me though. Homeschool, in the long run wouldn't have worked for me.

On the other hand, my cousins are/were homeschooled, and they didn't turn out all that great. For one, their parents seemed to think that by homeschooling them that they would be shielding them from the outside world. They had some weird ideas anyways though.. one of which involved a number of things being inherently demonic, because everyone knows Teletubbies, Spongebob and Pokemon are all brainchildren of scheming ol' Lucifer right?

Suffice it to say, now that their son is off living on his own, he's discovered the wonders of alcohol and drugs, and their daughters are soon learning the "Art of the Slut" with their sudden insertion into Highschool. Shame.

EDIT: God, I fail at posting. It took me so long to finish this damn post.

Eh, that's my two cents for now.

Okay, first of all, most government offices have an age at which they force you to retire. It differs from agency to agency, but it's generally around the mid-sixties (Social Security also can be taken anywhere between 62-68. I wonder why?). It sucks to be forced to retire, but I digress.

Generally, states and local governments want to collect taxes. The collected money is used to improve infrastructure, improve social services, etc. By improving the standard of living in one area, the (local/state) government hopes to attract more people into a specific area, thus bolstering revenue in new tax money. More people = more money.

So, why would any self-respecting county/state even think about hiring "Vietnamese people" to teach at a school; in doing so, they are placing the reputation of their county at risk, and any future revenue in tax dollars quickly dissipates.

To make this much simpler, that's absolutely crazy, the blatant racist comment aside. Putting "not being racist" does nothing to alleviate the meaning of a comment directed at a group of individuals.

:dozey: reason why I said it is because in Vietnam, people want jobs, and ask for a low wage. the Teaching Agencies here in California want to pay the lowest wages possible, because Mr. Schwarzenegger gave so many ****ing pay and budget cuts. My mom and dad got a 1/3 pay cut, and my mom has no job security. They can replace her in a flash. Reason, they are so cheap. State jobs these days are filled with low wage people because the teaching agencies want to pay the littlest amount as possible to their workers. so that is why I said that. If I ment to be racist, then I would have been much more oblivious that that

snip

Not the wisest of responses...

If you want to escape criticism, you're just going to have to learn that you can't. Roll with the punches and don't be overly opinionated, unless you have very a very good reason to be so and are ready to competently defend your ground.

And if you're under 15 16 17 never mention your age.

EDIT: Hmm, I see you edited your post.. good job, though it was before I even posted this.

Really though, stop. You're not helping yourself here by reinforcing that you're 13 and lovin' it.

I'm going to pretend I did not hear that. Being 13 is one of the best experiences ever.
By quoting it you have been fairly unsuccessful at pretending you didn't hear/read it. Although I will agree that the age of 13 could have possibly had some great moments, like fapping for the first time... for the late bloomers.

Love the generalizations about teachers, there are some very good ones that sacrifice their time and energy for their students for very little compensation. Too bad their dedicated works gets lost in the shuffle and all anyone can do is complain about are the bad ones. I had some very good teachers in public school, but I had some very bad ones too. Most I can be thankful for is the good ones had a greater influence on me than the bad ones.

Kind of feel bad now about putting a mouse in my freshman English teacher’s desk.

I was homeschooled all my life through the end of high school. Yes, I wasn't exposed to as many people, and it took me longer to learn to be sociable. Still, I was fine the last few years of HS and it's only gotten better since then. Yes, I found myself to be better prepared academically than many of my peers in college courses; although that could simply be just me rabidly paying attention (perhaps from not having teachers for so long, whenever there's one in the room my eyes are glued on em).

Yes, I know and have met some of the psycho religious homeschoolers and they're very frightening. The quality of their education in certain subjects like math was excellent (many much smarter than me), but somewhat more questionable on non-neutral topics (e.g., biology, a favorite thing to alter to suit your religious wants).

The basic thing is, if your parents are halfway normal you will be okay. If they are psycho, you too will inherit the psycho. Which system is better is entirely dependent upon the individual's circumstances.

Love the generalizations about teachers, there are some very good ones that sacrifice their time and energy for their students for very little compensation. Too bad their dedicated works gets lost in the shuffle and all anyone can do is complain about are the bad ones. I had some very good teachers in public school, but I had some very bad ones too. Most I can be thankful for is the good ones had a greater influence on me than the bad ones.

Kind of feel bad now about putting a mouse in my freshman English teacher’s desk.

Yeah, but that generalization isn't unique to teachers. I suspect there are many good teachers, probably more worse ones and the great majority fall in between. Just like in every profession. I went to private schools, but my experience in that regard was probably not much different from yours.

if i was a unionized teacher i could think of ways to suck so hard i'd get fired, don't underestimate how much people can suck

Short of alienating your own union or doing something illegal, probably not. They could probably find you a room to report to 8 hours a day in lieu of teaching kids.....all the while collecting union wages. Pretty sweet deal if you want "expensive welfare".

I can only remember 2 bad teachers out of the many I had in public school. A few were average, most were very good, and some were simply outstanding. In fact, my high school history and science teachers were all better than one of my history and one of my organic chemistry profs were. My experience with my kids' teachers have all been very good.

I can only remember 2 bad teachers out of the many I had in public school. A few were average, most were very good, and some were simply outstanding. In fact, my high school history and science teachers were all better than one of my history and one of my organic chemistry profs were. My experience with my kids' teachers have all been very good.

While you may think that is true, I have scientific evidence that you are biased in your think:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
picture.php?albumid=270&pictureid=5663

Can someone who hemorrhages rainbows truly be trusted to have a balanced perspective on any subject?

And @topic: Is my bad drawing and spelling because I was lying on the couch using MS Paint or because I was taught in the public school system? You decide!

I've been homeschooled all my life. I can interact fine with nearly anybody except girls I like and people I don't like. I'm able to hold my own in a discussion with adults, or with kids my age (not younger, since I have no idea what they are talking about half the time).

Most affordable schools teach only one learning curve. I learn differently than other people. I learn things better when I have an image or a map, or a hands on experience to learn about it, and I also work better when I'm able to discuss what I've learned, and research it further with help from my teacher.

Plus, the education in my area (close to Chicago) sucks. Just talk to some of my friends. They can hold a conversation, but only if its about Twilight, gossip, video games, celebrities, or some other useless garbage that will prove totally useless in the future. Trying to hold an intelligent conversation with them will most probably prove futile.

I prefer to discuss politics, current events, religious debates, so on so forth.

All I'm saying is that home schooling has been more beneficial for me than the alternative.

CA passed some sort of law in the so called "name of quality control in education" to make it so that parents have to be on an instruction program and/or least have a Bachelor's degree and a good portion of it in education, w/ teaching credentials.

I view it as a means to force some more kids to go to public school or at least keep an eye on the ones that don't with some kind of stucture.

Bah, whatever.

I surmise the following about forms of American school:

1) Home School: Well, can't comment personally, never got to do it.

I know there was as much bad as good with it, or so I guess from the ones from my surroundings. Some cases psycho parents, other cases not. Varied results. I do believe it wasn't completely isolated, though. Some sort of public exposure program for expanding horizons of young people, for public, private, and home schools. The program got much more usage by private and home schools. Also, many parents are active with church and martial arts, etc. for social exposure purposes as well as public activities, sports, stuff like that.

Education and academics far superior, socialization depends on the parent which could be excellent save a few things or likely it is very isolated. Can't say much more than that.

2) Private/charter/alternative: Still good socialization, possibly better in some respects though I can't put my thumb on exactly what that is for the life of me. I would guess the exposure to more mature adults, colleges, professional/career settings would be most relevant. Many kids nowadays from this are cocky. One thing I can see that makes them stand out is that these kids have initiative. Otherwise like a public school, better off though. Sort of half and half between both. I see more effective and successful people come from these than either of the others.

Other than that, I really can't say as I never got to do this one either.

3) Public: The education isn't first or second rate, third rate at best. More socialization an not all of it good, less academic/learning. Even in its strong point it still fails. A factory for producing MTV watching retards unprepared for the real F***ing world--for the most part.

Advantages are that the outcasts are better for it and are more people smart, street savvy.

Teachers don't give a flying crap about the violence and bullying that goes on behind scenes. They're all on meds. They can watch a kid whose desk gets fidgeted and kicked by other students and then blame it all on that kid. Just get their tenure and their quotas or whatever for numbers is all they care. No payraise? They protest and take it into the classroom.

The cops...well, if you're in a (recognized) clique then you'll be protected because you're "normal". If you're an outcast or just don't "fit in", they're gonna blame you.

Generally, learn how to defend yourself and know what your rights are. The system is not your friend, they look out for their own and each other--not you.

Cliques, clubs and stuff to belong to. "Ohh, I have to fit in." "Bleh, you're not one of us." "We're elite, and you'll never be good enough. hahaha" "Look at this, I'm part of the [insert name] group!" "Nyah, you're in one of THOSE classes."

Yeah yeah, whatever, F*** off. I don't really care, get that **** out my face. Ah yes, and while we're at it... How the F*** did I end up on the "most likely to go columbine" list? I didn't ever wear a damned trenchcoat.

I learned the curriculum is manufactured and fallacious and that people are lazy or lying bastards.

<snip>

Lets go over how many parts of your post:

I've been homeschooled all my life.

<snip>

All I'm saying is that home schooling has been more beneficial for me than the alternative.

Seeing as you've never experienced the alternative and see the alternative through a peephole by your own admittance, I fail to see how you can be sure of this.

I can interact fine with nearly anybody except girls I like and people I don't like.

<snip>

Just talk to some of my friends. They can hold a conversation, but only if its about Twilight, gossip, video games, celebrities, or some other useless garbage that will prove totally useless in the future. Trying to hold an intelligent conversation with them will most probably prove futile.

So, you interact with your friends fine except when they talk about... social things.

Their social skills and "useless" knowledge is going to prove more useful for them in the future than your book smarts. That is the reality of society. Book smarts only get you so far, while their "garbage" will get them social points. Not everyone wants to discuss politics all the time. Is exhausting.

I think you'd find that if you were in a school with them, their "garbage" knowledge proves more useful than you think. Sorry to say that High School, College, or a job is going to be quite the culture shock for you.

Most affordable schools teach only one learning curve. I learn differently than other people. I learn things better when I have an image or a map, or a hands on experience to learn about it, and I also work better when I'm able to discuss what I've learned, and research it further with help from my teacher.

Everyone learns differently. This is nothing new.

When you have never been to a public school, I again must point out the contradiction. You say you learn better with experiences, hands on, images, maps, etc yet you determine public schooling has none of this based on rumors and speculation second/third hand.

Listen, I can tell you horror stories about public schools. I can also tell you great things about public schools. But, if all you're going to listen to is the bad then of course public schools are going to look freakin terrible. I'll expand upon this further below.

I prefer to discuss politics, current events, religious debates, so on so forth.

So do I, but doing so doesn't make you social nor does it make you more intelligent than people who don't want to spend their time doing such. There is a time and a place, and sometimes people just want to hang out and, yes, discuss "garbage". Like the dull rabble we are.

Research, what I hear from friends, public school teachers that I know, one of my cousins who is an honored Harvard grad.

Kay, I'd just like to point out that actual research points to homeschooling being the poorer of the options. I direct you to J7's post further back in the thread.

Second, "friends" in public school are always going to say that school sucks. Shocking discovery, kids don't like going to school regardless of how good or bad the school is. However, I think one of the biggest learning experiences school gives you is the experience of biting the bullet and doing something you don't enjoy.

Which is something you're going to have to do a lot in life. Sorry if people are too stupid for you, but when you leave your home you're going to have to deal with people you don't enjoy, work under a boss, and work under their watch. You're not going to be able to tell your boss you can't do your job because you don't learn like the rest of the employees.

----------

CA passed some sort of law in the so called "name of quality control in education" to make it so that parents have to be on an instruction program and/or least have a Bachelor's degree and a good portion of it in education, w/ teaching credentials.

I view it as a means to force some more kids to go to public school or at least keep an eye on the ones that don't with some kind of stucture.

I hardly see why making sure the parents teaching the future members of society aren't educated themselves is a bad thing.

Things fall apart without a Structure. Of course there are going to be rules for homeschooling, or certain parents could skip over entire things like, say, biology.

3) Public: The education isn't first or second rate, third rate at best. More socialization an not all of it good, less academic/learning. Even in its strong point it still fails. A factory for producing MTV watching retards unprepared for the real F***ing world--for the most part.

I'd like to bring up a point I'd of liked to have brung up earlier in the thread:

Schools do not breed MTV "retards"; parents do.

The only part of school that should really be prepping you for the world is the education. Social interaction preps you for another portion, but, again, the rest of that is in the parents hands. A school can teach sex ed, but its the parents decision whether they can learn it or not. If the kid gets pull and is unprepared, that falls entirely upon the parents shoulders.

I, personally, think many public schools teach at least the basics. The question is, do the kids retain anything they are learning. If they aren't disciplined, then that is the parent's fault.

Drugs? Gangs? Violence? While I think the school should control this, this still comes down to bad parenting combined with a a whole lot more bad parenting.

But, of course when little Jimmy fails they aren't going to blame themselves. They're going to blame Jimmy, and the school for failing them. Then the schools get a bad name, funding gets cut, and so on.

Advantages are that the outcasts are better for it and are more people smart, street savvy.

I was an outcast for much of my school life, but I'd hardly call that "street savvy". Personally, I'd define "street savvy" as someone who ignored school and instead spent their time doing less than desirable things.

Teachers don't give a flying crap about the violence and bullying that goes on behind scenes. They're all on meds. They can watch a kid whose desk gets fidgeted and kicked by other students and then blame it all on that kid. Just get their tenure and their quotas or whatever for numbers is all they care. No payraise? They protest and take it into the classroom.

As neither a teacher nor, I assume, as someone who has kids I think its a little harsh to be judging teachers this way. Teachers work with hundreds of kids under a **** salary thanks to complaining parents.

Do you -really- expect a teacher to sit down and bring a court room meeting for every fidget and finger pointing in every class? They are there to teach, not to babysit brats.

I'll try to be respectful, but I cannot express in words how utterly wrong the above paragraph is. Teachers get paid **** for a thankless job, made even more thankless by people that assume the above. I had genuinely amazing teachers that worked multiple jobs.

They protest because public schools are getting less and less money, and what money they do get is forced into area it isn't needed. Like a new football field where new teachers and books are needed.

I, frankly, find that set of statements pretty damn offensive considering. Maybe you had terrible teachers, but I had some teachers that genuinely enjoyed their work and were paid **** and all they got in return were angry phone calls from parents who have no idea how to raise a child.

Perhaps you should consider that if they get paid more... uh, you might get more quality teachers. Frankly, you get what you pay for.

You know what, maybe you had really bad teachers. I don't know. But blame them for being jackasses instead of going on a completely uninformed rant about how all teachers are on "meds" or whatever BS.

While I hate schools that ignore bullying, take it to the administration. If its that bad, then home school. But, perhaps if you listened to their protests instead of assuming they are greedy ****s then they might get paid more to CARE.

Sorry if you had bad teachers, but don't insult my teachers

The cops...well, if you're in a (recognized) clique then you'll be protected because you're "normal". If you're an outcast or just don't "fit in", they're gonna blame you.

Generally, learn how to defend yourself and know what your rights are. The system is not your friend, they look out for their own and each other--not you.

What the hell does this mean and what does it have to do with the thread quite frankly.

Cliques, clubs and stuff to belong to. "Ohh, I have to fit in." "Bleh, you're not one of us." "We're elite, and you'll never be good enough. hahaha" "Look at this, I'm part of the [insert name] group!" "Nyah, you're in one of THOSE classes."

Welcome to life. People suck. Off-topic. Moving on.

Yeah yeah, whatever, F*** off. I don't really care, get that **** out my face. Ah yes, and while we're at it... How the F*** did I end up on the "most likely to go columbine" list? I didn't ever wear a damned trenchcoat.

Perhaps you ended up on the "most likely to go to columbine" list because of the content of that same sentence.

I learned the curriculum is manufactured and fallacious and that people are lazy or lying bastards.

Thanks for insulting the jobs of people I respect and worked to help me though my education.

Archived