Home

Half Life 2 Episode 3 not coming out in 2010

Tobias Reiper

The January 2010 issue of Game Informer states that there won't be a new Half-Life game released in 2010. What's more, it's not even clear what form a new game would take. It could be Half-Life 2: Episode Three or it may be Half-Life 3.

I really hate you now Valve.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Rumor-No-Half-Life-In-2010-22325.html

I don't think they really even know where they're going with this plot anymore.

I, a die-hard Half Life fan, didn't really think they'd do that to us either, but they did:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181620

"We don't know entirely what's happening in the next episode, but we're gonna figure it out!" laughed Speyrer. "There are always things we want to do that we can't because of the constraints of either the story or the arc we've laid out for the gameplay - or just time. So we shelve them and carry on. Ideas fly around here quite a bit, so we have this huge laundry list of things to try for the next thing..."

Note that was said about ONE year ago. So, about one year ago, they said they don't know what's happening in the next episode? Now, ordinarily, I would just say that is Valve being secretive about what is going to happen; but the fact that we haven't seen screenshots, trailers, or any other info about the game? I think they really don't know what to do with the story. I seem to recall something Laidlaw said prior to that article about not knowing what they were going to do next.

Maybe I'm just too angry at Valve right now to do anything other than foam at the mouth and point fingers in random locations while chewing on my keyboard. Maybe I have the space madness. Whatever it is though, Left 4 Dead 2 and all the publicity it received (flying boycotters to Valve HQ and such), and the rumors of Portal 2 (don't get me wrong, I love Portal, but...) are not HELPING me calm down.

Sorry, but I'm prone to angry rants when it comes to the status of Episode 3. If only they'd give us a screenshot or some information about the game.

Since I care little for Half-Life's story continuation, I can't be bothered less about this. But what does bug me is that it's clear that Valve hasn't delivered on the very reason they went episodic: time convenience.

Newell said when talking about the episodic direction that they do not want fans to wait 6 years for a full game any more. By the look of things, you have at least 3 years of waiting now for a mere episode, which isn't going to last more than 10 hours tops. What's worse, the engine remains the same, the gameplay remains mostly the same, and the graphics are just pushed up a bit, so it's not like the difference we're seeing is as dramatic as Half-Life to Half-Life 2.

Alas Valve, what foul designs do you hold dear?

Hmm, I can see where you coming from Sabre, though I must admit. Half-Life and its episodes are one of the very few shooters that I really enjoy.

For me Valve has a unique touch and it would be a shame if they tossed it all out of the window.

The February 2010 issue of Game Informer states that there won't be a new Half-Life game released in 2010. What's more, it's not even clear what form a new game would take. It could be Half-Life 2: Episode Three or it may be Half-Life 3.

...is it February yet? :confused:

Can't say that I'm surprised, but Valve sure do make the whole rationale of episodic content an utter joke. I thought the year and a bit between Episodes 1 and 2 was too long, but it has been 2 1/2 years since Ep2 was released and there's still no sign of Ep3.

I'm not sure what their problem is. It's not like they are short of a quid, so they could hire as many people as needed to get it done. I think a big part of it must be the half-assed way they run things. If you ever hear any of them talk about about the management hierarchy it sounds like a great place to work but a terrible environment in which to actually get anything done.

I'm not sure what their problem is. It's not like they are short of a quid, so they could hire as many people as needed to get it done. I think a big part of it must be the half-assed way they run things. If you ever hear any of them talk about about the management hierarchy it sounds like a great place to work but a terrible environment in which to actually get anything done.

There's a presumption of sanity in this post.

In reality, they're all too busy coming up with agendas for their next meeting. And writing up the minutes from the last one.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a ton of crap games coming out lately. Not all, but a good number.

I'd rather them take their time and do it right. Here's to hoping they don't pull the same about-face as the developers of Duke Nukem Forever and wind up having to abandon shop after keeping us waiting for over 10 years.

It's a down time in the economy and stuff is slow. I'll not wait around *just* for this, nor too concerned about it--you kinda go stir crazy when you do that. Plus with people watching you all the time that kind of pressure gets to the developers and negatively affects quality of the final product.

I'll just play some of my old faves and classics while I wait, meantime. Or anything that does look worth my while.

I could just finish CastleVania 2: Simon's Quest Improvement ROMhack. Whatever.

Archived