Home

A request for help.. big project

Damian227

Ok I'm very new to the pc version of the game, however I intend to get learning how to mod these games (quite quick at learning this kind of thing)

Now I'm looking for a person or two who could possibly help on a big project to add on to KOTOR and possibly (if we do well and don't hate each other at the end) a sequel for the games sequel.

I don't want to give too much away but I can imagine it'll be a lot of work, so experience in this would be awesome as it'd help me learn faster also. It'd also help shoot down any parts of my idea that are impossible lol.

Basically I wrote about half of a book (had notes til the end) on Star Wars based in the KOTOR era before opting to write my own story entirely (an arguement with the people at Lucas Arts lead to it). I hoped to shorten it and infact have the story link between the two games and also possibly even release the story in the future as fan fiction.

I have a professional music studio to record the audio required, just need the right people to try and make this happen :)

It is always great to see a new modder!

Here at the Holowan Labs, we have a LOT of tutorials that will help you learn to mod. However, just a few comments (that you will probably hear from every replyer to this thread)

1) Don't start big. You should start with small mods that will help you learn to mod, and then move on to more complex things.

2) Don't expect people to do the work for you. Most people new to the forums believe that since they have a "Great, never-before heard idea that everyone should help on!" idea, that other people will do the work. Most of the members here have their mods in progress, and would like to finish those up.

Lets see....there are other people here who will be responding fairly quickly, with other information to give, but keep these things in mind^^...

I hate to tell you this, believe me because I did the exact same thing you are doing now. I wanted to create a monster project, a Total Conversion (sequel) to the KOTOR games.

To make this short, quick, and to the point, learn the small things such as how to make items, creatures, placeables, reskin, possibly model, and modules. Figure out how the physics and mechanics of the game work.

It took me about 8 months (and I stopped for a time) to learn how to do almost everything to start my own planet.

My best advice, is learn how to do this stuff, release mods to gain a reputation, then start working on a big project like a new planet or a Total Conversion.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade but you'll either be disappointed with somebody like me or going on waiting for help and never receiving it. Just follow my advice, learn the basics and work your way up.

Thats cool man I totally get that, I intend to be doing as much of the work as possible, but even if one person gives me a hand when he/she has free time, just to give me pointers or explain ways of doing things, it'd help me learn how to mod a lot quicker.

The mod will initally be built up slowly, so i'll start by inputting small and once i've got to grips with it, expand on it etc... so I don't intend to leap in and build 40,000 things at once anyway lol.

Thanks for reply :)

As long as the early parts are "updated" to esure overall quality control when he's almost done, it shouldn't be a problem. The early stuff can serve as a skeletal base for the final version of those files. Hence you get the learning curve effect as well as not having to try to do everything from scratch at the same time. But, in the end, whatever works and it'll be done when it's done. ;)

Archived