Home

Days of Fall: Call to Arms

The docks were full of transports bringing new and returning students to the Academy. Aruko Blackfern took a breath of the air of the Canadian wilderness that made up most of the Academy grounds. He had been waiting a year and now he was finally here on his way to becoming a FedCON officer.

Looking around, Aruko saw different aliens who chose to live on Earth and people of all different skin tones trying to make their way through. Being new, he wasn't sure where to go or what he was to do next. After being jostled a bit by some upperclassmen, he decided to take a more active route.

He looked and spotted the cadet he sat next to on the transport. He made his way over as carefully as possible, trying not to jostle too many people. Experience told him that people who were bumped by him got pissed at him. He brushed against one cadet, muttered his apologies and was gone before he ever saw the face of the cadet.

When he finally made it to the cadet, he said, "Crazy isn't Salazaar?"

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Hurm. I suppose it's time of year again.” Sitting alone on a bench in front of the academy was Adrian. He had already planned out everything he was going to teach, and just watched all the different instructors and leaders and FedCON officers. The FedCON were annoying him. At first they were okay, but now... all their rule's and relegations were annoying him. Nothing got done this way.

He tipped his fedora down over his face and closed his eyes. He could get a nap in before student's showed up. Then have a class or two, then start some type of fighting sport. He was getting bored of Canada. Maybe he transfer to France, Scotland, maybe back to Germany. He thought about his home, and started to fall asleep.

--Samuel Williams--

Sam had no home, not officially. Ever since his father died, his only real place of rest was the academy. That was why he was allowed to stay during summer. On his crisp black uniform were two bars, signifying his two years of studying at the academy. Last year had been tough, he'd made it through in the moderate range, not excelling, but not failing either. He hoped to change that this year. He already had everything set up, his room was clean and orderly, and the spare room of his eventual room mate was sterile so as they could choose their own idea.

Knock-Knock

"That's probably him now." Sam said.

--Rani Provenza--

Rani was practically shaking with excitement. She could feel the vibes of the crowd giving her emotions of fear, anxiety, giddyness, and any emotion in-between. Rani still had trouble believing she was accepted. She knew she was smart, and had the skill to get in, but it's still a big shock when the school of her choice accepted her. She went over her plan for the umpteenth time in her head. Grab her bag, get to her room, make nice-nice with her roomie, if she had one, grab a bite of chow, then make it to the auditorium in time to listen to the 'Head Master' give his welcoming speech. She knew teh speech was mostly to get her ready, and most multi-year students skipped it all together. They had the idea of school by now. But, Rani wouldn't miss it for the world.

"It seems crammed now, but everyone's just arriving. Give it a few days, and it won't be as bad." Ray Salazaar suggested. "I hope."

"I think we're going the right way." Damien Holtz said to Irene Morales as they made their way off the transport. They had come to the Academy together, and had been friends since childhood, and at times Damien suspected that Irene wanted to be more than that before she found out he was gay, but afterwards they still remained friends. However, they each enlisted for different reasons, his was to fulfill his dream of piloting a starship, while hers seemed to be to make her own way in the universe, or at least that was all she told him.

"Yeah but I know that this is just the beginning," Aruko replied. "We still have to take the entrance examinations in order to actually be considered worth keeping."

When Ray gave him a blank look, Aruko explained, "It's like the old school in the States called West Point. Cadets were not plebes until they took their entrance exams. Besides I read the recruitment folder thoroughly and I noted the exam part." He hoisted the shoulder bag that housed his only computer and a few other interesting gadgets higher onto his shoulder before slinging his clothing bag up. He looked around and spotted more cadet first years judging from the fact that they were still in civilian dress like he was. He nudged Ray and said, "Best to go over there. Perhaps one of the instructors will tell us what to do next."

"Yeah, they seem to know where they're going." Ray commented. "Hey, do you know where we're supposed to go?" He then asked the other two cadets. "From what I can tell, the first building on the right. Assuming you're new here, like us, and not just doing laundry. I'm Damien, by the way, Damien Holtz, and this is Irene Morales." The other cadet replied, introducing himself and his friend. "Ray Salazaar." Ray said, shaking Damien's hand.

Stepping out through the doors of the shuttle, Thorn took in the first breathe of air of another country. Earth was the same place everywhere, he figured, but things definitely smelled different in Canada. The pine trees, the cold air, and then the smells of all of the different officers making there way to wherever they were supposed to go.

Speaking of which, Thorn had not been given any such instructions on this matter, and a bit of anxiety began to eat away at him. And so, looking around, he spotted a nearby female cadet, a somewhat short but definitely not ugly human, and, intercepting the spot right next to her, he commented, "Well, I suppose we just guess where to go until we get it right, eh?"

The academy was enormous.

• 4 weeks later...

"Nice vibe with the laundry joke," Aruko replied holding out his hand. For a brief moment, his locks fell aside to reveal the tattoo on his forehead. A shake though put them back into place. "Aruko Blackfern, First Year too. We were just looking where to go since we have to take the entrance exams."

All First Years report to the main green. All First Years report to the main green.

Aruko shrugged his shoulder, "I guess that's us. Wanna hang with us?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Alright, Akira," said the FedCON representative. "This is the Academy. We'll leave you here. You are certain your English is good enough to pass the entrance exam?"

Akeirra grimaced slightly at the man's mispronunciation of her name, but said nothing of it. Instead, she nodded. "Yes, yes. English, I..." She pursed her lips in thoughtful consideration before saying, "Read good. Speak bad."

"Well, good luck," the rep said as the shuttle door slid open. Akeirra flashed him a brief smile before stepping out, a small bag slung over one shoulder. The flood of students was overwhelming, but Akeirra pressed on, determined. She would fly again, even if it took three years to prove to these people that she could do so more effortlessly than their most skilled pilots.

All First Years report to the main green. All First Years report to the main green.

A wave of anxiety washed over Akeirra. She could read English very well. Hearing it spoken or having to speak it herself were very different matters. She recognized the term "First Year" as something that related to her position in the Academy. Then, "report" meant a couple of different things. That bit about the "main green" made no sense. Even if there was a main shade of the color green, what was she to do with it?

"Excuse, excuse," she said, tapping a fellow student on the arm. "I am... Firrst Yearr. What is main... what that was?"

But the student was a third year and he thought far too much of himself, especially when compared to a first year who couldn't understand English. He scowled down at her and hurried off. She scowled at his back for a moment and then determination set in and she tried again. Her second attempt found a kinder audience in a fellow first year.

"Main green," he said. "I don't really know where. Just follow the crowd." Then, he extended his hand to her. "First year? Me too. I'm Jason Dane. What's your name?"

She took his hand in her gloved right hand and smiled, pleased to have found someone friendly enough to help her, even if he didn't know much himself. "Akeirra."

He blinked. "Akira?"

Her smile faded. "Akeirra."

"Akira."

"No," she said, shaking her head. "Ah."

He echoed, "Ah."

"Kei."

Kay."

She sniffed a little. "Close. Rra."

"Ra."

"Rroll it! Rra."

In his defense, Jason Dane genuinely tried to roll his 'r', but his tongue couldn't quite make it happen. After several attempts, she finally stopped him.

"Is close. Human accent, no..." She searched for the word. "Surprrise."

"Ahkayra," he said, trying to put the sounds together. She smiled faintly.

"Is close," she repeated, shrugging a little. "Now. Main grreen?"

"So where are you from?" Jason asked curiously.

Akeirra laughed. "With my accent, my language. You want to trry?" Shaking her head and giggling, she said, "No. Farr away."

Feeling just a little insulted, Jason Dane sighed. "Your accent sounds like French... except you roll your 'r's'. That's like Spanish. Hmm..."

Akeirra giggled. "No, no. Some sharred worrds with Frrench. But bad. Frrench worrd 'yes' is terrible offense."

Jason almost said it. Thankfully, his better judgment won over. "Well, it was good to meet you, Akira."

"Jason, yes?" Akeirra said. "Good to meet you."

They had reached the main green, or so it seemed, for all first years seemed to be coming to this wide open space. Why they called it the main green was something Akeirra would still have to learn, but at least she was here. At that point, Jason ran off to find one of his friends and Akeirra began speaking to herself in her native tongue under her breath. Most of it was grumbling yet again about how Humans couldn't seem to get her name right.

((For the record, Rokusians are known for their inbreeding. They pride themselves on their mental talents and to even have a hint of other species was disgraceful. There are some exceptions to the rule but you rarely meet a half Rokusian. All Rokusians are pureblooded))

Aruko brushed at his locks trying to hide his markings. He wasn't too overly proud of it since he had hell as a child and even though the Academy had cadets from everywhere in the Federation, he could be more liberal but still be cautious. Still the question needed to be answered and said, "It's not a tattoo. It's my markings. I'm part Rokusian."

There were a million reasons why he was there but the number one reason was that he was his father's legacy. It didn't matter to Devon Carson though. He would enjoy himself at the Academy and even make pilot like his father. From there it was officer's training all the way. This Academy though was different than the others he had seen but this was the closest to the planet within the Consortium. He sighed as he picked up his bag and headed towards the main green at the announcement. He ran into a boy and a strange girl. She was alien no doubt and she had a peculiar accent. Still he didn't take kindly to having toadstools get in his way. He said, "Hey watch where you're going jailbait. The purpose of legs is to walk."

Startled, Akeirra stepped aside and stared at Devon, her mind frantically trying to work out what he'd said. She could tell by his tone that he was unhappy about something, but whatever it was, it eluded her. She blinked for a moment, reviewing the words he'd used, or at least the ones she had understood.

He'd told her to watch where she was going, which seemed pointless since she had evidently arrived already. The word "jailbait" was so utterly foreign that she opted to dismiss it and hope for the best. Then he'd mentioned the purpose of legs. The phrase struck her as highly amusing and she giggled.

"I am herre," she said. "Wherre I was told to be. The... purrpose forr legs at this place is..." she frowned thoughtfully, searching for the word. "Stay? No... Stand. Ing. Standing."

Then, she realized he was upset with her for stopping where she was and she scowled. "Main grreen. Firrst yearr. Told to come here. I do." She thought for a moment, and added, "As... orrdered."

"I'm sorry I asked." Damien replied, figuring out that it seemed to be a sensitive subject. He then noticed an alien girl being bothered by a rather snobbish looking boy. Having dealt with plenty of similar jerks back in school, he decided to intervene. Approaching the two, he said to the boy, "Leave her alone. She doesn't deserve that."

But for all Damien's good intentions, Akeirra misunderstood and took a step back from both boys. She rattled of a string of curses in her native language and glared suspiciously at both Devon and Damien. Her mind raced through Damien's words and only registered "deserve".

"Waat!" she barked sharply, her accent thickened by a combination of anger and fear. "It dou not... sense! Waat. No." Tears stung her eyes as she realized she was not making sense either. Crying, but determined not to screw up, she furiously wiped her eyes and took a deep breath, ready to try again.

"Desserrve..." she said slowly. She knew what it meant, but she'd been so terrified of failing before she even had a chance at this Academy that she hadn't heard the rest of Damien's words. She looked up into his face and saw compassion more than anything else. Then, her eyes flicked to Devon and saw nothing but contempt. She managed a weak smile to Damien and edged closer to him. She understood now that he was trying to defend her and that certainly helped her mood.

"Desserrve," she repeated, looking up curiously at Damien, her accent still thick, but at least understandable. "Tank you."

Feeling somewhat more comfortable now that she appeared to have an ally, she managed another dark scowl at Devon and then tried to forget him.

Devon replied, "What are you stupid or something?"

He was prevented from doing anything else when a human boy told him to leave her alone. He looked at him with a sneer, his ridges looked menacing, "You gonna make me?"

"Possibly. Or I might just handle you myself," Aruko said. He had noticed the girl too and he knew what it was like to be picked on because he was different. He stared at the Anatolian boy with a glare.

Devon noticed the markings on the second boy's forehead. So one of them is here. Out loud he said, "You my friend would do better to keep to company with the right kind of people. After all aren't your people proud of their race?"

Aruko was seething with anger but he managed to smile and replied, "I can pick my own friends. Maybe you could use a lesson in that department."

"You should reconsider. Make an enemy of me and you'll live to regret it," Devon threatened.

"Then we'll have to be enemys. I'd rather eat dirt than be friends with the likes of you." Aruko had said it with a firm edge to indicate that he meant what he said.

Devon had no choice but to walk away. "Fine but you best be watching your back."

After Devon left, Aruko relaxed and gave a slight smile and said to Damien, "One reason why I don't tell anyone but friends what I am is because of ignorant bastards like that. You're a friend therefore you can know me." He grinned to show that he hadn't truly minded the question since he had made up his mind to like the boy and his friend Irene.

He walked to the alien girl and held his hand out, "I'm sorry about that guy. Aruko Blackfern."

"I've had to deal with plenty of people like him over the years. I'm gay, and there are still idiots out there who have a problem with that. Honestly, I really don't see how the fact that I'd much rather be with another man than with a woman affects them in any way." Damien explained. "I've found that the people claiming to be better than everyone else are often worse."

Akeirra had been around FedCON for a year, but there were still a number of things she didn't understand. One example of this had just happened right in front of her; one person had apologized for the actions of another. It didn't make sense to her, a woman from a culture in which no one dared to claim responsibility for someone else, especially not if that someone was acting badly. But this new stranger seemed much kinder, and he had introduced himself. Smiling faintly, she bobbed her head.

"Arrukoblachfehrrn," she said slowly. Then she frowned. There had been the slightest of hesitations in his pronunciation of his name. She tried again, also trying to mimic the strange non-rolled 'r' she'd been hearing for a year. "Aruko Blackfern." Pleased with herself, she nodded again and tapped her chest. "I am Akeirra."

Turning to the boy who'd first come to her rescue, she added, "And you arre?"

"Damien Holtz. Sorry if I get this a bit wrong, but Akera, like I said, I know what that's like. You can't change who you are, no more than I can, or Aruko can. And why should we? Why would we want to, especially for people like that Anatolian? The universe would be so boring if we were all the same." Damien said to her, extending his hand, but a bit unsure if Akeirra was familiar with what a handshake was.

"Pleased to meet you Akeirra," Aruko tried to say her name. Her accent was peculiar and he was curious about where she came from.

He grinned as Damien launched into his spiel. He liked the guy for his outspokeness and his courage in standing up to what he was. "Damien is right. We can't help who we are. Took me awhile to come to terms with the fact that my mother is Native American and my father is Rokusian."

He was stopped from saying more when an instructor, a Zabran came up and said, "Alright you slackers get a move on or we'll ship you out on the next boat down washout lane."

Aruko replied, "Yes sir. We're heading there now."

When teh Zabran was out of sight he said, "Whew. Would suck if we had a black mark and we didn't even make it in."

While on their way to the main green, Ray said to Damien, "I know we've just met, but if we both make it, what do you say you and I go somewhere to 'celebrate'?"

Damien was a bit surprised, but liked the idea anyway. "What do you mean? Are you asking me out on a date?" He asked.

"Um, yeah. I suppose I am." Ray explained. "I'd love to." Damien replied. "Then, good luck." Ray added. "You too." Damien responded as the group arrived at the main green.

(You didn't say Ray was straight, so this was bound to happen.)

((I didn't. I'd figure you would do what you like. All Ray is is Aruko's best friend throughout the Academy.))

Aruko grinned and said, "Yeah but it might be a good idea to make plans until after we make it in. Come on."

Leading the way, Aruko managed to find the main green. Standing at the head of the group of first years was the Zabran that chewed them out early. He was saying, "All right you things. Welcome to the FedCON Academy. If you survive the entrance examinations you will become greenies. You'll receive your rooming assignments at that table by Instructor Sisko over there. Lights out at ten. Exams at eight tomorrow. Late to exams and you washout. Do you get me?"

Akeirra was confused. Not that this was anything new in the past couple of years. It had taken her at least two months to learn enough English to explain that she wanted to repair her ship. Another month had been required before she understood that her ship was beyond repair. One month after that, she could carry on a very rough conversation and FedCON had stopped trying to educate her. And so, with her limited understanding of English, she made her intentions clear that she wanted to fly again and was willing to do anything to make it happen.

And so, here she was. The FedCON representatives she'd dealt with promised a very intensive English course, but even Akeirra understood what a difficult thing that would be to accomplish. No one here came even close to understanding her native language, which meant even abstract concepts such as love or trust had to be described in concrete ways. Extremely difficult, but Akeirra was hoping for the best.

As the Zabran spoke, Akeirra clicked on a small digital recorder. Her head was hurting and she wanted to be absolutely certain she understood what was going on. As the man spoke, she listened intently, but she didn't manage to understand more than a few words. When he paused after his question, Akeirra quickly replayed his words. Twice.

Then, she tapped Aruko on the shoulder and whispered, "What is 'washout'?"

Making sure that the Zabran was occuppied, Aruko tried to explain, "It means...well it's another way of saying a quitter or the flunked out. You follow?" He was trying to explain it in the best way possible without confusing her.

Meanwhile the Zabran stopped in front of a girl who looked very pretty to Aruko. He could tell that she was smart by the way she carried herself and he suspected that she was another candidate for the pilot's seat. The Zabran was saying, "And you little missy. You think you got what it takes to complete the exams?" ((He's taking to Rani))

(I don't think Jedi_Man is coming back, he's been gone for quite a while. To be honest, if not for Writer, I can see this going the way of Alliances Divided, except we managed to see that one to the end.)

Damien rolled his eyes. Typical military motivation tactics. He thought. Disinterested in the in-your-face methods of that Zabran, he approached Instructor Sisko's table. "You're Instructor Sisko, right? My name's Damien Holtz, I'm here about room assignment." He inquired.

(Instructor Sisko's first name isn't Ben, is it?)

((I'm not planning to go anywhere. If need be, I can even take on additional characters. I'm determined to make this RP work. JM12, let me know if you want me to take an additional character. Wouldn't mind having Rani if Jedi_Man is out. She and Akeirra could be roommates :p))

Akeirra frowned thoughtfully. "I see." And she truly did. But failure was not an option. Her own ship had long since been disassembled by intrigued engineers of FedCON. If she ever wanted to fly again, this was her only shot. There was no way she would be late. She turned and followed after Damien, who was headed to the table with room assignments.

Archived