Home

Days of Fall: Call to Arms

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

((Writer go ahead and take the girls if you like. If you want I can play one of them as well. I've been in the same boat with up to six characters. Alkonium can tell you that. LOL. Just let me know your preference.))

Aruko gave his name and as expected he was asked, "You wouldn't happen to be related to Commander Lauren Blackfern would you?"

Aruko had always considered lying about it but in the end someone always found out. So grabbing the proverbial bull by the horns, he replied, "Yes sir. My mother."

"That so? Well we expect a lot of you son," and the officer processed his paperwork. "Cmdr Blackfern is a good officer."

"Yes sir," Aruko replied as he took the pad with his rooming assignment and moved onward. He hoped that none of the other cadets overheard his conversation. He looked down and read the name of his roommate. He wore a perplexed frown as he joined Ray, Damien and the others accidentally bumping the girl the Zabran chewed out earlier. He looked up and immediately apologized, "Sorry about that."

"You didn't get that Anatolian jerk as a roommate, did you? That'd have been a nightmare." Damien joking asked, though still wondering if that was what had suddenly soured his mood. All he knew was that he was glad to have avoided being stuck in a room with Devon.

((JM12, how about we split the difference? I'll take Rani, you take Irene?))

Getting her room assignment was much easier than trying to understand the excessive use of idioms in the Zabran's brief speech. Sisko told her that her roommate would be a young Human woman named Rani Provenza, who was also seeking to become a pilot.

Not far from there, Rani stumbled back, surprised after another would-be student bumped into her. When he apologized, she smiled. "Hey, no problem," she said. "You new here too?" She stuck out her hand. "Rani. Rani Provenza."

(I'm back ya'll. Sorry for the long wait, but here goes part two of my character.)

Sam invited his roomie in, a large man, probably descended from the cossacks. Despite his looks, however, he spoke like a man from the former state of Texas.

He remembered him from last year, Jakkov Mari. Born in the southern regions of the former united states, he liked to make fun of his size.

"Why, hello there, partner. How ya'll doing on this fine evenin'?" Jakkov asked in his drawl.

"Jackie, it's morning. But, to answer your question, it's quite alright. Thank you." Sam responded. " I imagine the first years are probably having a heart attack though."

Both Sam and Jakkov laugh at that, for it was all too true, last year, and the year before that for Jakkov, both of them nearly died of joy when they got the letter of approval and where bouncing off the walls when they arrived at the academy.

"Ahh...Freshman..." Sam finished.

((Alrighty Writer. You forgot to talk to Aruko but then she might not have heard him when he apologized lol))

Aruko replied, "Aruko Blackfern." He was aware that he must have had a stupid grin on his face and tried to not be so obvious but he thought her to be the prettiest girl he had seen. "So you here to be a pilot?"

He then heard Irene's comment, "I think somebody's got stars in his eyes."

Aruko turned red at the comment but tried to play it of. He did find the girl pretty. "Just apologizing." He then turned back to Rani and said, "Sorry about that."

Devon walked haughtily to his rooming assignment. He was one of the few who got a room of his own mainly because of his father's connections. He walked right by the arrogant snot he ran into earlier and lifted his chin. He gave a mean glance towards the stupid alien girl that he ran into and walked away. They were small fry compared to him.

Rani smiled and nodded. "Yeah, pilot. What about you? What's your aim?"

Akeirra returned to little group of people she now felt safe with just in time to hear Rani introduce herself. To Akeirra's mind, the name was a bit slurred, but she looked down at the note she'd written on her hand and it matched. She grinned and approached, just as Rani asked Aruko why he was at the Academy. She stood there in respectful silence, waiting for a break in the conversation.

"Uh," Aruko was suddenly shy about saying what he was doing at the Academy.

Irene snickered, "Cat got your tongue Ruko?"

"Shut up y'all," Aruko replied trying to hide the annoyance and the grin on his face at his embarrassment. He managed to get out, "Not really sure. Been told by lots of folks I'm good enough to get into Intelligence. I just want to do my part."

Rani laughed. "Sure you do." Then, she shook her head. "Everyone's got something that interests them."

Turning, she acknowledged the rest of the little group gathered around her and Aruko and grinning in her confidence, she said rapidly, "I'm right. Am I right? Tell me you know it." Looking back at Aruko, she said, "Mira, 'Ruko'. Maybe you don't know it yet, but somethin's gonna catch your heartstrings, pull you along." She tapped his chest lightly. "Be listening."

"Oh get a room." Damien muttered under his breath. "I'm also studying to be a pilot, if anyone wants to know." He then said aloud. "Communications for me." Ray added. "Interesting combination." Damien commented. "Didn't you just say for Aruko and Rani to get a room?" Ray asked. "Do you want to?" Damien replied. "Might be a good idea." Ray told him.

Aruko was aware that he must be looking like a complete idiot staring at Rani and also aware that he liked her alot. He grinned and said the only thing he could think of, "Something grabs my heartstrings, you'll be the first to know." He smiled.

Irene was snickering and loudly said, "Well now that we've played the how are you game, let's find our rooms. And Damien business before pleasure." She then noticed Akierra standing quietly and said, "Come on Akierra," her Texan drawl becoming more apparent, "Let's find our bunks and then maybe we can see about getting some chow. I don't know about the rest of these guys but I'm starving."

Aruko stood there facing Rani and said, "Well seems like we might have a good first year."

Flashing Aruko a playful wink, Rani said, "I'm sure we will."

Then, she turned to face Irene and Akeirra and noticed that the small alien woman was watching her intently. Not one to be bothered, she joined them.

"Food does sound good," she said in response to Irene's suggestion that they find their rooms and then some food. "I didn't catch your names?"

Akeirra smiled faintly. At last, she could speak. "Akeirra. You arre Rrrani? We arre rroommates."

Rani grinned. "Well that's one less thing I have to worry about finding out." She turned to Irene. "And you are?"

"Irene Morales," Irene took Rani's hand in an enveloping shake and nearly shook her hand off. "Well I didn't think anyone could get the Rokusian brother to smile."

"Quit acting like I'm not around," Aruko countered. "Besides I just need to drop off my things and get settled. They put me with a second year."

"Whoa there. A second year? Isn't that a little odd?" Irene gave a nudge with her hand at Akierra to indicate that she was talking to her.

Akeirra smiled faintly. "I do not know. Many things about the Human rrace seem verry odd to me."

Rani laughed. "Where are you from, then?"

Akeirra considered for a moment. She didn't expect any of them to get the name quite right. Nor could she expect them to know where it was, especially since it wasn't in their own native galaxy. But they were being extremely kind to her, and they weren't calling her "Akira". That boy Damien had even come very close to getting it right.

"Farr away," she said finally. "Anotherr galaxy. The homeworrld was Meinar. It is gone now. I was borrn on Meinari fleet... how you say... flagship?"

"The lead ship of the fleet," Rani said helpfully. "Yeah, that's flagship."

"Flagship," Akeirra repeated. "Sceptre, I think is the closest trr... trranslation."

Irene, interested in space travel herself and any stories about fleets was all agog. She replied, "So you're an Army brat. That is what we call people who were born while their parents served in the military."

"It's what I am," Aruko added, trying to be helpful, "My mother serves. She's a science officer specializing in terra forming or something. So I'm an Army brat." He tucked his datapad in his pocket and slung his bag upon his shoulder. "So how about we all split to our rooms and then meet here and get some chow. You in?" He directed his question at everyone.

"Better make it your last meal probies," Devon interrupted. "If anything you look like you wouldn't make it past the entrance examinations."

Aruko was seized with an idea, a rather rash one even by his own standards. He said, "Bet you five hundred credits we all do and we score near the top."

Devon was up for a challenge and relished in the fact that there was always someone willing to do the dirty work for him. "I'll take that bet. Loser."

"We'll see who the loser is at the end of the day tomorrow," Aruko replied.

"Yeah. I wouldn't mind putting a boot up your snooty..." Irene was getting too much into it. Yet she knew Devon's type very well. She had to actually talk to them when she was at home. She was rather put out that it seemed the life her mother wanted for her followed her here. "We'll show you."

"Look forward to it. Easiest five hundred I ever made," and Devon walked away.

Irene growled, "I totally despise his kind. Oh it's just as bad as if I were at home." She then walked off without saying another word.

Akeirra's mind was stuck. She wasn't sure she understood her new friends until Irene explained what she meant by Army brat and Aruko confirmed that he was one as well. She missed the meal planning, missed the bet with Devon and almost missed that Irene had stormed off.

"No," she said, turning to Rani. "Not Army brat. Meinar is..." She paused, sorrow glinting in her eyes. "Meinar is gone. Meinari are born, live, and die in the fleet."

Rani wrapped her arm around the diminutive alien woman and guided her away, smiling encouragingly. "We'll be certain to set the record straight. Come on, let's find our room."

Aruko wasn't sure if Akierra understood what Irene meant by Army brat but he let it pass as Rani led the girl away to their room. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, catch you in mess. Later Ray."

he then took off to look for the room that he would be sharing with the second year. He was still puzzled by that effect since the Academy tended to group first years together. The thought that they were giving him special treatment because he was his mother's son stole into his thoughts and it lingered. It was a possibility.

• 1 month later...

Akeirra and Rani found their room with little difficulty. After storing what few belongings they had brought there, they headed down to rejoin the others. They ate together and talked, and Rani easily slipped into the role of translating words her roommate didn't know into smaller, more manageable pieces. Again, Akeirra tried to point out that the Meinari fleet she had mentioned before was not a military body, but contained the whole of Meinari civilization, as they had lost their planet. And this time, she was slightly more successful in getting her point across.

The next morning, Rani awoke to find Akeirra already up, sitting on the edge of her bed and staring out the window. Entrance exams weren't for another two hours, but Rani wanted to be sure they got there in plenty of time. Evidently, Akeirra had the same thing in mind.

Even after having a bit of breakfast, the two women were ready for the exam almost half an hour before it was scheduled to start. They went together to the room it was said to be in and found the door still locked. Settling in to wait, Rani tried to get Akeirra to talk, but the alien woman seemed more preoccupied with hearing the words of English spoken around them than in replying. With the faintest of sighs, Rani gave up and looked around, hoping to spot some of the other students she and Akeirra had met the day before.

Aruko found his room and met his roommate. He was expecting someone who would use their status to give him a hard time. He was completely surprised to find that Cadet Second Year Jason Soreson was rather polite and glad to see his new roommate. "So you're the new plebe? Jason Soreson," and he held out his hand.

Not wanting to get chewed out for an infraction, Aruko replied with a handshake, "Aruko Blackfern."

"Nice." He then went back to work unpacking his stuff to be ready for the term that would start next week.

Aruko looked at the empty bed with the piled sheets and took that to mean that was his bed. He dumped his stuff on it and started unpacking what he would need for the next day. No need to unpack everything until after the exams, if he passed.

"You'll pass."

"Excuse me?" Aruko asked.

"You'll pass," Jason repeated. "Just like them to place one of the more brillant ones with me."

"How come they placed me with you? Isn't that sacriligeous or something?"

"No idea. When I asked, the Commandant gave me the look that said I should shut it," Jason replied with a shrug. "Personally I thought it was because I had some trouble in slipstream theory but I passed that class with an exceeds expectation type grade. Must be because they know you are intelligent enough to pass with highest marks."

"Maybe," Aruko replied. His personal thought was that the Rokusian government was keeping tabs on him. He had to answer his application form truthfully so he put that he was half Rokusian with a human mother. The Academy knew what he was and there were some Rokusians who served in FedCON rather than their own forces.

"Well you better get some shut eye. Exams at 0900 for you." Jason gave a pat on Aruko's shoulder. "Don't worry about it."

The night passed without incident with supper with his new friends and an early turn in. Aruko was up early. His roommate was asleep when he stole down the hall to shower but was awake getting back. Jason just smiled and wished him luck before disappearing towards the showers.

Aruko walked towards the mess hoping that there was something that would stick to his ribs. He caught up with Ray and Damien who were debating, from the looks of it, on the merits of a particular fruit. He said his hellos and grabbed a dish of cantalope. Oatmeal was present and he grabbed a bowl before trying to get a cup of tea. Instead he was handed sludge that was identified as coffee and that was told that was it.

Aruko said nothing but gave a slight eyeroll as he looked for a table. Spotting Rani and the other girl Akierra, he made his way to the table. He said good morning and sat prepared to eat but not looking forward to the coffee. He held up his cup and looked at it and asked, "Rani, is coffee supposed to be like engine sludge?"

Rani laughed. "Depends on who you ask. My dad would say with absolute certainty that the answer is yes. My mother would tell you just as vehemently that the answer is no. I myself don't tend to drink it and therefore my best answer is, I haven't a clue."

She glanced at Akeirra for a moment and saw that the woman's gaze was still unfocused. Rani looked back to Aruko. "She's been like that ever since we left our room," she said. "Hardly spoken two words together."

COMBAT VETERAN TALLY VOLTAIC was exhausted. She'd felt that way ever since the very start of this semester here at the Academy, despite the fresh Canadian air and gorgeous scenery. The truth was, Tally had been exhausted for a long time, as she watched the halls of learning that she loved turn into more of a prison day by day. Rules. Regulations. Protocol, always protocol. Tally was sick of it. She could no longer be herself, it seemed, without earning glares from the older and more-experienced faculty members:

"She's a gladiator. An arena diversion. Not a serious instructor of combat."

"Voltaic? She's a phenomenal warrior, no doubt, but a bad soldier. Terrible."

"Won't obey orders. What does she think this place is, a civilian university?"

"Hot temper. Too hot. She won't last long. You have to play the game."

Tally, for one, was sick of playing games. The only one she was ever in the mood for nowadays was one she'd just invented, lying on her military-issue cot in her stark faculty quarters. Smiling to herself, she went over it:

"Good morning, plebes. Welcome to hell. Today I'll be instructing you, and if any one of you manages to win against me in hand-to-hand combat, with the weapons of your choice, I will personally do your laundry and polish your boots to a high mirror shine for the rest of the year. Good luck. You'll need it!" A smile and a pause. "Oh, and if you lose? You'll get another instructor."

She knew who that "other instructor" was--the Devil himself, Sergeant Cul.

Those plebes don't know what they're in for, Tally thought morosely.

((lol, They haven't even passed the entrance exams))

"I don't blame her for not saying anything. Learning a new language is tough. I had to learn the language of my father's people. Not easy." Aruko smiled and tried a sip of the sluge. He made a face. "Ugh and they expect us to drink that every morning?"

He quickly set the cup down and took a spoonful of oatmeal to try and knockout the taste of coffee. It did the trick and he downed the oatmeal. "At least this isn't sludge."

"Don't credit that stuff as sludge," Irene said as she joined her new friends at the table. She waved for Damien and Ray to join them. She then leaned forward in a whisper, "Besides I heard that they do this to all first years before the exams. Sort of liek trying to see who has what it takes." Then she said a little louder, "Then again if this is normal, I'd just as soon as drink some real engine sludge and not this crap."

She noticed Akierra sitting there and gave a gentle tap, "Akierra? You alright?"

"She's just listening to us talk," Aruko explained as he munched on a piece of cantaloupe. "Best way to learn a new language. So anyone feel liek they are ready for these exams?"

Archived