Home

Thats it I QUIT!!!! Who's comin with me? Anyone?

Tommycat

I don't need you anymore. All you've done is slow me down and keep me from my potential. You Stink! You smell so bad I would stink just having been around you. I don't understand what I ever saw in you...

Oh yeah it was the nicotine.... That sweet calming nicotine...

....smoke....

Ok so I really have given up smoking. My last cigarette was smoked on January 1st at 6:03 AM. Just before I headed off to bed. I'm not gonna lie.. If I had a pack of smokes in front of me I'd probably smoke right now. This is the hardest thing I've ever given up.

I don't have many vices left. I'm eating healthy food, but still eat red meat on occasion(Mesquite grilled steak... MMMMmmmmmm). I still love my coffee(Anybody tries to take that from me and I'll feed them their own intestines But I'll be nice about it and season it up right for ya). I quit drugs long ago. stopped drinking(and by extension quit the dangerous habbit of drinking and driving). Any other vices I should watch for? What was the hardest vice for you to give up?

In the immortal words of Shania Twain “I Ain't No Quitter”. :xp:

Good luck on giving up smoking though. :thmbup1:

It was a promise I made to my dad a little over a year ago. It was the very last thing he made me promise to. He was nearly out of breath. COPD and Emphasema were killing him. He made me swear. A week later he died. I made excuses all last year. Finally for New Years, I decided I'd had enough with procrastination.

I temporarily gave up smoking that plant that is green and is associated with peace signs and reggae on January 2nd. Yeah that one. Not that big of a quitting since its not really addictive at all, it kinda sucks because it was nice not being sore after swim practice and I miss the smell but other than little things like that, no biggie. Once my swim season is over and theres no more risk of random drug testing in Febuary/March I'm heading right back to it, MJ is a fun lady.

The hardest thing I've quit is WoW, it took my friends getting banned from retail and the private server we were on to quit actually playing. But it didnt even stop there, we kept our retail accounts going so we could bot level them and sell them. Oh plans that fail within hours of completion, how you make me sad.

It was a promise I made to my dad a little over a year ago. It was the very last thing he made me promise to. He was nearly out of breath. COPD and Emphasema were killing him. He made me swear. A week later he died. I made excuses all last year. Finally for New Years, I decided I'd had enough with procrastination.

I had a similar experience when my real dad (I had a stepfather too) made me promise to go back to college on his death bed. I arrived in Mississippi Christmas morning and while I installed his Christmas present (a ceiling fan), he made me promise I would go back to school. I had quit school after finally getting accepted to the University of Texas, but my stepbrother got arrested for drugs and my stepfather and mother spent my college money on the lawyer ending my dream of attending the University of Texas. By the time my father asked me to return to college I had been a little over 10 years out of school, but I made the promise and continued with school until I had my Masters Degree. My dad went into a coma the night I made my promise and passed from this earth 2 days later.

I was very leery of stepfather when he was on his deathbed. I was worried about what he would ask, but thankfully his only request was that I take care of my mother.

What was the hardest vice for you to give up?

Chocolate milk. I have since quit quitting.

Actually I'd say out of all the things I've quit I'd say cigarettes were the most difficult, and I've done a lot. Been almost two years since I quit smoking cigarettes, 9 months since I stopped drinking, 6 (7? I forget) months since giving up cannabis, almost 3 years since some other illegal substances.

Hasn't really changed much about me, just leaves me with less "to do". I occupy the time canoeing and exercising, building things, exploring, and sexual exploits. The latter was a tip I picked up from a friend who went to rehab, it's true what they say, sex is the absolute way to changing ones focus away from recreational substance use.

So keep that in mind folks...

Chocolate milk. I have since quit quitting.

Actually I'd say out of all the things I've quit I'd say cigarettes were the most difficult, and I've done a lot. Been almost two years since I quit smoking cigarettes, 9 months since I stopped drinking, 6 (7? I forget) months since giving up cannabis, almost 3 years since some other illegal substances.

Hasn't really changed much about me, just leaves me with less "to do". I occupy the time canoeing and exercising, building things, exploring, and sexual exploits. The latter was a tip I picked up from a friend who went to rehab, it's true what they say, sex is the absolute way to changing ones focus away from recreational substance use.

So keep that in mind folks...

It's called the "thirteenth step" Many in NA and AA fall into the trap of using sex as a surrogate for their addiction. Problem is that when the relationship goes south, they often fall back into their addiction. The trick is to make it a fun activity you do, but not as a replacement for whatever you would have been using.

I can't say I've really developed any vices on the level of hardcore drinking, smoking, etc, but I've seen the results from quitting and not quitting.

My uncle was an alcoholic, and his disease ultimately killed him. My Grandmother smoked a lot until she was 40-50 (don't know really, before I was born), and died a little over a year ago from complications twenty/thirty or more years after quitting.

I have lots of respect for people quitting smoking and drinking to improve their lives, I know it's hard but so worth it! Good luck man!

It's called the "thirteenth step" Many in NA and AA fall into the trap of using sex as a surrogate for their addiction. Problem is that when the relationship goes south, they often fall back into their addiction. The trick is to make it a fun activity you do, but not as a replacement for whatever you would have been using.

Very true, lucky for me it's not an issue since that part has actually just started. :p I figure leaving for the military soon, I need to get it all out of my system... so to speak.

Congrats, Tommy! :)

I cheated and used Chantix over a two-month period instead of going cold turkey, and I haven't had a cigarette in over six months. You'll get used to it and you'll miss them less and less as time goes on. Stick with it.

What was the hardest vice for you to give up?

Sluts.

Very true, lucky for me it's not an issue since that part has actually just started. :p I figure leaving for the military soon, I need to get it all out of my system... so to speak.

Congrats, and Bravo Zulu for your service.

Evil Q: Well honestly the biggest help for me is my girlfriend. Even though she's still smoking, she is keeping me from smoking. Her plan is to quit on her birthday. But she is helping me stay strong. I think without her I would have probably already bought a pack. So what if you use something to help ease the cravings... Anything to ease these darned cravings... GAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

its cool though. I've made it 22 days. I'm past most of the chemical addiction. It's just the physical habbit.

Chantix

Be real careful about that stuff, the additives in mainstream tobacco already lead to a likelihood of depression and suicidal thoughts when they are withdrawn, chantix has a nasty way of increasing the chances.

It's been a while since I've read the studies, but some of those chemical trails it leaves behind can cause buildup on soft tissue and fat (like a number of other drugs), so if you go on a health regimen with any kind of burning off involved I'd recommend always ending your exercise with a nice walk or run through a park.

It took me a while to figure out I was storing away a lot of junk in my fat deposits and everytime I got some loss, I'd release those toxins into my system and it'd start a re-introduction causing me to have less than favorable mood swings. Cigarettes really seemed to be the worst, really, everything else just kind of made me spastic like I had a sugar rush then a quick comedown. The cigarettes made it feel like things were missing and you couldn't find them.

I know cold turkey isn't easy or workable for everyone, but just be real careful about chantix. A doctor I know has suggested to a lot of his patients that they chew a high sugar gum each time they get a craving.

Congrats, and Bravo Zulu for your service.

I just wish I weren't being delayed until likely the summer. :( I'm ready to get my haircut and translate some Afghanis.

Point Man and I would die before giving that up. ;P

*AHEM!* :) Why you misunderstand me JAE....I didn't say it was voluntary.:dozey: And ah......I almost did die. (not really)

On another note pertaining to this, I just realized that I may have to give up drinking soft drinks from here on out; because of health reasons.......DAMN YOU SOFT DRINKS! :fist: Why do you have to taste so good, but wreck my health as well? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Oh, and BTW - Congrats on your success so far Tommy.

Congrats tommycat. That is quite an accomplishment.

I gave up an addiction: Energy drinks. I just can't take the fire in my digestive system anymore. Having been an avid consumer of these since they first became popular a few/several years ago, I was joyed when a couple years ago one of my friends opened this one place that sells almost nothing but energy drinks.

I enjoyed their benefits for a while. However, I have since developed a few problems in the digestive system. Chemical imbalance, regularity falling to one extreme or the other often, certain areas with folds that do not pass materials as easily anymore and have made some mild to moderate blockages a few times, and a few other details I'd prefer not to share. But, yeah, if painful and unpleasant issues of the digestive system that take forever to go away is any discouragement to getting off into energy drinks, so much the better. Because if you have to learn it the hard way, it will not be pretty.

Sex is God's gift, at least if you use it in the way He intended it for.

:lol:

I am giving up lieing. Its a very bad habbit. I think everybody should! Who's with me?

I contend that that statement is a lie. o_Q

A few years back, I had this terrible proclivity towards spitting. It took a while to get me to stop, but I eventually managed to wrestle the urges to the ground.

Archived