Home

Video: The True Secret of Monkey Island

andygeers

Hi guys,

I've been meaning to put this together for a while now, but I've just posted a video I've made based around The Revelation article by Jorrin Quest, exploring what The Secret of Monkey Island might actually have been if Ron ever got to make a third game:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I owe the basic premise to that article, but I've tried to add a few little insights of my own as well.

Hope you enjoy it!

aahhh, watching this was like smoking a good ol' pipe with sherlock holmes, and then realizing that you have a grapefruit in the fridge.

This theory works well for me, I don't think I'd mind that much if that had turned out to be the case actually :)

There is that problem with elaine saying "I hope le chuck hasn't put a SPELL on him" and le chucks eyes glowing red, but then again there was a third game to be had.

Nice job :>

Really nice work! It's been a pleasure watching the video. That's the best explanation we can get so far, with what we have. However, I can't but feel that there's more than that. It has to! :-) I mean, that's a nice explanation for the 2 first games, and clever people could reach to that conclusion without a third game, so... why would Ron need a third game, then?

I know what you mean. Sometimes it feels like that theory is exactly what you're supposed to think. It makes you fall into the same trap Guybrush has fallen into, and distracts you from the truth.

Whatever it is.... ¬

But then, is there anything else that could be secret that we'd really give a **** about? As far as secrets go it's probably one of the cooler things out there. I mean, would you prefer the real secret was that the island could turn into a flying fortress or something? ;

That's my point though - it's really not a cool secret. It's pedestrian, and takes much of the ambiguity away. I'd like playing those games a lot less if I thought it was all some kind of hallucinatory stroll through Disneyland.

Nice video... but it's just wrong. "Designed as a trilogy"? No it wasn't. Ron may have had some ideas for a third game, but he certainly didn't have them when he was writing the first one.

As I've previously written about this "theory": Guybrush says "This isn't Monkey 1" and "What's this doing in a pirate game?" and a ton of other fourth-wall busting stuff. It seems absurd to me that we're supposed to take the countless comedy anachronisms as some clever "hint" that it's all a child's fantasy... but then totally ignore the "I'm in a computer game" type stuff.

Sorry guys, they just did stuff for laughs.

You say that very authoritatively, but let's face it: we don't know. Until the original three designers go ahead and actually clarify this we can argue the finer details on both sides of this point for an eternity. What one side sees as blatant fourth wall breakage, the other sees as definitive proof of the theory. What one side sees as something put in as a get-out clause, the other sees as definitive proof against the theory.

Maybe the secret is they wanted to spark endless fanboy arguing? :D

Maybe the secret is they wanted to spark endless fanboy arguing? :D

They certainly did a hell of a great job on that point since we were still talking about The Secret nine years after the last game had been released.

And what was so good about the secret that made us talk about the game for so long? It was the fact that absolutely nothing had been reveiled about the secret. It was the way they presented it that made it so great. The only fact that we do know is that there is actually a secret.

They certainly did a hell of a great job on that point since we were still talking about The Secret nine years after the last game had been released.

And what was so good about the secret that made us talk about the game for so long? It was the fact that absolutely nothing had been reveiled about the secret. It was the way they presented it that made it so great. The only fact that we do know is that there is actually a secret.

Don't think so. The main reason we are still talking about The Secret today is that these games are so great regardless of The Secret. Also, as Giygas says, because someone decided it would be cool to give the first game the title The Secret of Monkey Island instead of, for example, The Treasure of Monkey Island, or The Pirates of Monkey Island, or Tales of Monkey Island, or something.

Maybe the secret is that every time the secret is revealed, there's always another secret right behind it. For instance, in SMI the secret is that there's a giant cavern under the monkey head. In MI2, there's a series of tunnels under all the islands. In EMI, it's the robot and so on.

I think that this is because every time the developers try to expose the secret, the fans aren't happy with it and so it's no longer the actual secret.

Maybe there isn't a secret' date=' and [i']The Secret of Monkey Island[/i] is just a better title than Guybrush Traipses Around on Monkey Island.

That would be my guess, but I guess "The Secret" has actually morphed into... "Would you please explain MI2's ending!?"

AFAIC Guybrush's world just got totally messed up the closer he got to the weird ass power of Big Whoop.

I hope they announce nothing at all. That's my wish.

And I'm with Giygas, I'm guessing Ron Gilbert didn't have much in mind when designing the first one. What secret? Nothing secretive outside the voodoo lady is even really referred to much until the second game. Always seemed like just a name to me.

Guybrush Traipses Around on Monkey Island would have been a cool title as well though. Sounds similar to Leisure Suit Larry Goes Looking for Love (In all the Wrong Places) though, which was released around the same time.

Archived