Home

Is anything I work on actually any good?

Qui-Gon Glenn

Well, this thread is perhaps a little selfish, and a little silly. Selfish in that I am talking about what I have been doing/am doing (which to me is not that exciting to begin with) and silly because the title question is relevant to me, and most of you sooner or later.

I work in TV/Movie production behind the scenes as a juicer... not like Bob with BT's, but as in electrician. This past year was quite busy in my neck of the woods, and so this year much of the fruit of my labors will be born. I expect some of it to be good, some of it to be lame, and some of it to be really bleh.

So, this thread will be updated as things I have been working on wrap, and as things come out on screen, small or big.

To date, we have Ben 10:Alien Swarm, which came out a few months ago, and was well liked by my girlfriend's 10 year old nephew. I liked seeing the sets we built, but didn't care a ton for the show (never watched the cartoon).

I saw the first on-television trailer for "Past Life" which will be starting soon on FOX network. That show is in limbo ATM, as they are not sure whether or not to pick it up for another season - all we shot were 6 episodes and a pilot. The show has some interesting subject matter, stuff more suited for discussion in Kavar's, so that may be... The lead actress, Kelly Giddish, is cute, a major flirt, and funny to be around. Not a big name yet, so still very approachable. Richard Schiff (you may know him as Tobie from West Wing) is a cool dude, as witty and intelligent in RL as he appears in his work.

I expect it to be received and reviewed with a great deal of skepticism and generally panned... a little "New Agey" for the mainstream, but we shall see.

Early this spring/summer, look for 5 Killers (Ashton Kutcher/Kate Heigl) and Why did I get married, Too? (both movies) Later, look for the Chili Project on VH1 and a TV pilot called Sugarloaf.

And what do you mean "not that exciting"? You get to meet actors! Even some before they get famous! :eyepop
Only in rare cases do I meet actors... my work is done generally before the shooting crew arrives, and resumes after their work is done.

That said, I have met some cool people, especially those whose names nobody knows!

I don't watch shows on Fox anymore. If it's really good, creative and I really enjoy it, Fox is guaranteed to cancel it.

My feeling is that "Past Life" is going to be way to edgy for Fox, as well as maybe being too hokey for the gen pub... we shall see though. I never saw the dailies so I know nothing...

I work in TV/Movie production behind the scenes as a juicer... not like Bob with BT's, but as in electrician. This past year was quite busy in my neck of the woods, and so this year much of the fruit of my labors will be born. I expect some of it to be good, some of it to be lame, and some of it to be really bleh.

Well, actually I can relate to both electrician as you know and, yes, backstage stuff as well. I decided that by the end of high school, the whole professional showbiz thing just wasn't for me, despite having friends and family in Hollyweird.

Have done work on stages, though. Know a bit of what you're talking about.

So, this thread will be updated as things I have been working on wrap, and as things come out on screen, small or big.

To date, we have Ben 10:Alien Swarm, which came out a few months ago, and was well liked by my girlfriend's 10 year old nephew. I liked seeing the sets we built, but didn't care a ton for the show (never watched the cartoon).

I saw the first on-television trailer for "Past Life" which will be starting soon on FOX network. That show is in limbo ATM, as they are not sure whether or not to pick it up for another season - all we shot were 6 episodes and a pilot. The show has some interesting subject matter, stuff more suited for discussion in Kavar's, so that may be... The lead actress, Kelly Giddish, is cute, a major flirt, and funny to be around. Not a big name yet, so still very approachable. Richard Schiff (you may know him as Tobie from West Wing) is a cool dude, as witty and intelligent in RL as he appears in his work.

I expect it to be received and reviewed with a great deal of skepticism and generally panned... a little "New Agey" for the mainstream, but we shall see.

Early this spring/summer, look for 5 Killers (Ashton Kutcher/Kate Heigl) and Why did I get married, Too? (both movies) Later, look for the Chili Project on VH1 and a TV pilot called Sugarloaf.

Well, that's cool. Getting to see your work in the mainstream and stuff. Most rewarding part is when you see it all put together and it receives a good reception and review.

About stuff being really 'bleh' in general; yeah, that's showbiz. Wasn't substantive enough to keep my interests. But at least I walked away with a fair bit of knowledge how stuff works in order to put a produciton together.

About stuff being really 'bleh' in general; yeah, that's showbiz. Wasn't substantive enough to keep my interests. But at least I walked away with a fair bit of knowledge how stuff works in order to put a produciton together.

Good knowledge to have, if you like to make yourself YouTube famous...

The funny thing about working behind the scenes, especially in my dept where we really are not involved in on-camera work almost ever, is that none of us really care what we are working on, for the most part. It is not that we don't care about our jobs or doing a good job, it is that we just want to do that job, and are disinterested in what our work is producing - for any reason you can imagine.

As for bleh-ness - I love the bleh.... it means I have a J.O.B. I do like "cooler" projects, as well, but still I am just running cable in pretty raceways.

• 3 months later...

*bump*

** amongst the denizens of Ahto, a shriek is heard... and a gasp, a groan, and lots of boredom instantiated at the appearance of a Walking Dead thread**

Sorry for the resurrection, but I am enjoying a week break between shows, and am grinding my way through a playthrough of K1, so I was inspired to visit you and share my adventures, once again.

@DI - Lousiness due to direction would be my first finger to point.... and no scene can possibly be overlit :p

------------------------------------

"Past Life" died more ignominiously than I had ever imagined. Ouch.... really bad. I could not watch an entire episode... I tried though, if that makes the producers feel better.

Since my last visit, I have been a busy boy. Too busy to even say hello (although I have been watching :devsmoke: ).

I worked on a TV Pilot called Sugarloaf, which will now be shot somewhere else (not my fault, I swear)

Just wrapped production on what I believe will be the funniest movie of its moment, currently known as "Hall Pass" starring Owen Wilson and Christina Applegate, amongst many funny others. As usual, I have no clue when it will be released.

I start production on a new TV pilot next week, which will be 6 episodes total. The working title is in this post, somewhere. Zombies, I tell ya....

When I worked on it, it was called 5 Killers, now you see the ads for "Killers" starring Kutcher and Heigl. When the car blows up, the explosion was actually my hand working a variac on two maxi-brutes following the director's lead. Whether I get that credit, who knows, but we will all know that QGG used the farce in that scene.

Toodles...

Ohhh, "Walking Dead" I'm guessing?

I'm interested to see how it goes, but almost sort of disappointed. Zombieland wanted to be the first zombie mainstream TV show but it got canceled because the top brass didn't believe zombies could pull in an audience.

Its a double shame because the comic "Walking Dead" its based off of is... well, a little too extreme for television at times. There is a lot of rape, gore, removed limbs, and so on. Zombieland, while gory, would have been a lot safer an option compared to Walking Dead, which is probably one of the most disturbing comics on shelves currently.

Ohhh, "Walking Dead" I'm guessing?

Its a double shame because the comic "Walking Dead" its based off of is... well, a little too extreme for television at times. There is a lot of rape, gore, removed limbs, and so on. Zombieland, while gory, would have been a lot safer an option compared to Walking Dead, which is probably one of the most disturbing comics on shelves currently.

Not sure if this available of the intrawebz, so I cannot disclose the station, but this is being done by the makers of a very well received and hardball show on an artsy, entertainmenty type cable channel. That shows subject matter has nothing to do with zombies, although there would seem to be a lot of anger in it.

Overall, ATM I agree TA, but I will be able to tell you more down the road, and perhaps share a photo or two (depending on what the bosses say).

Heh. Variac's are cool. Simple in both theory and design. One of the most reliable and useful devices. I have a 3-5 Amp Variac myself. Probably surplus from the 1950's.

I'd like to get me a heavy duty variac. Multiple line power ratings both single phase and 3 phase, switches. Those things are awesome.

you definitely have an interesting job qui_gonn_glenn - have you thought about doing your updates in your LFN Profile blog ??

http://www.lucasforums.com/blog.php

mtfbwya

Thank you, I find it interesting and a constant challenge, physically and mentally. I was ignorant of the blogspot, however, and that does seem to be a more appropriate place for this sort of thread... since it really is more about what I am doing and less a real, broad, discussion. Thanks for the linky! And, mtfbwya as well... I have never had the pleasure!

@GTA - Well, most "Variacs" we use that are actually called a variac are set up with Edison in/out, probably identical or not far off from what you have. Dimming on larger units is generally done with the ballast, or if there is tons of dimming to be done with edisons (as on a light/soundstage) you would use some multi-channel dimmers, from as few as 24-channels to as many as 96. On Hall Passes stage (a very small, and minimal rig) we had two 96-channels, 2 48-channels, and two 24-channels. They were never all used at once, if you are wondering at the number of units.

Those larger units are powered by 6-wire phases of 3 hot legs, two neutrals (for all that potential spill-over) and a ground. On Past Life, we had much more going on... Two 11-wire trunk lines for the dimmers from 480/220a transformers to three 96's in one of our stages.... (1 cable = 100' @ 1lb/ft) x (2 11-wire runs) x 400' = 8800lbs, wrapped by hand with loving care by yours truly. :barf2:

@GTA - Well, most "Variacs" we use that are actually called a variac are set up with Edison in/out, probably identical or not far off from what you have.
Actually mine doesn't have any edisons, it is just a small bare 7 solder-to-post standalone autotransformer you mount in whatever case with an ugly turn dial knob. Can be wired for direct wall voltage or slightly down the tap to get a slight voltage boost (135-140VAC) and a slight drop in current at maximum setting. For testing low end devices and such.

Dimming on larger units is generally done with the ballast, or if there is tons of dimming to be done with edisons (as on a light/soundstage) you would use some multi-channel dimmers, from as few as 24-channels to as many as 96.

Wow. THAT is impressive. Largest I ever came across was a 48 channel--typically I only see 12 to 24.

...I think I know about the kinds of ballasts of which you speak. Not completely sure.

TBH, the stuff I putted around with in high school had connection to relays in the walls still in use. Professionally, what little I have done is to just string up parallels or series of lighting in stages...that or electric signs. Other than the rows of exploding bulbs I was never able to get too near much of the center of its controls.

On Hall Passes stage (a very small, and minimal rig) we had two 96-channels, 2 48-channels, and two 24-channels. They were never all used at once, if you are wondering at the number of units.

Rarely are in my experience either--even at full capacity and usage. Hardly a surprise as a good tech-manager of resources always has more on hand than will ever possibly be needed. :p

Those larger units are powered by 6-wire phases of 3 hot legs, two neutrals (for all that potential spill-over) and a ground.

Just like my electrical wiring manuals say in the commercial and industrial sections. o_Q

On Past Life, we had much more going on... Two 11-wire trunk lines for the dimmers from 480/220a transformers to three 96's in one of our stages.... (1 cable = 100' @ 1lb/ft) x (2 11-wire runs) x 400' = 8800lbs, wrapped by hand with loving care by yours truly. :barf2:

HOLY S***! I could just imagine the electric bill for that setup, as well as catastrophic accidents. And yes, I bet your hands and arms felt just lovely by the time you were done.

The only things more heavy duty that I know of are substation transformers at research facilities as well as utility companies if not power plants themselves.

You ever had to putt around with one of those car sized, argon gas lasers?

• 3 weeks later...
HOLY S***! I could just imagine the electric bill for that setup, as well as catastrophic accidents. And yes, I bet your hands and arms felt just lovely by the time you were done.

My hands, in under two years of doing this, are two large callouses. My arms are as strong as they ever were in my college football playing days, and my back is stronger hands down. I also have endlessly sore feet.

So I am going to start up that blog that Astro recommended, but until then, I wonder.... anyone go see "Killers" last night?!?

When the car slides then goes boom, the explosion was pure QGG force lighting... :devsmoke:

• 1 month later...

*bump*

Hey Ahto Denizens.... thought I might present a trailer to you for my current project, "The Walking Dead" that will be coming out on AMC in October. I have to say, I have a much better feeling about this TV project than I did on "Past Life" (horrible concept) or on "What Chilli Wants" (horrible friends of Chilli).

When this show comes out, I can post a few funny pics of me and friends doing lewd things to Zombies (and horses).... until then....

THE TRAILER

BTW: This is a link to a leaked trailer, done on someone's phone. I think a legit version is now released somewheres....

Hah, called Walking Dead.

Almost sad that this got the thumbs up but Zombieland was told to pack its bags because "nobody would watch a zombie show on TV". Still great that this got passed, but again I wonder how they will adapt the later books to TV because Walking Dead gets really hardcore pretty quickly. Rape, racism, incest, etc. The later books probably have one of the most despicable villains in comic history.

Plus that trailer just reeks of high budget. It'll have to do damn good to make it to a second season. Regardless, great news!

Yeah, I can't believe it's being shown on AMC and not HBO or some premium channel. Like Avery said, there's some major hardcore stuff that happens.

Where was the incest?

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
You mean when the mayor made out with the little zombie girl?

Lot's of crazy stuff goes on in that comic book.

• 2 months later...

"The Walking Dead" debuts on Oct. 31!

I think it's going to be a popular show... it deals with the subject in a much more human-centric way, and that hasn't been done in the movies of the genre.

Bizarre how much the principle actors look like their comic book inspiractions... for those of you who have read the graphic novels, you are going to be pleasantly surprised at how little things change :D

Watched the pilot episode. Well shot, well acted, zombies that look reasonably convincing (can make or break a zombie film/show), just all around good stuff.

This is gonna get recorded. No question. Honestly, AMC has really been going strong lately with its shows, one of the few channels I enjoy anything on.

Haven't read the graphic novels, thinking of starting. It can't get any more gruesome than Garth Ennis stuff right?

Watched the pilot episode. Well shot, well acted, zombies that look reasonably convincing (can make or break a zombie film/show), just all around good stuff.

This is gonna get recorded. No question. Honestly, AMC has really been going strong lately with its shows, one of the few channels I enjoy anything on.

Haven't read the graphic novels, thinking of starting. It can't get any more gruesome than Garth Ennis stuff right?

Hey Liverandbacon! Glad you caught the pilot, I agree that it looks great! David Boyd, our Director of Photography, was about the coolest guy to work for. Very laid back with a great sense of humor, and knew exactly what he wanted to see and how he wanted to see it. His vision is the core of the series... each episode has different Directors, but the DP is the same for each, which ensures continuity from at least a visual aspect.

I feel strongly that it is being picked up again for a second season, which I will be thrilled to work on.

As for Garth Ennis.... uh, I would have to google him. I am actually not normally much interested in zombies or other undead creatures, as I find them personally to be a little silly. Just my personal opinion, as worthless as anyone elses!

BTW, you ought to get back in the fold, if you know what I mean :)

Ditto. And I couldn't help but think in Qui-Gon and his job when I saw the eerie corridors of the hospital the protagonist woke up in. The flashing lights helped to create an atmosphere.

I'm definetly watching what seems to be a great - albeit short, just 6 episodes - series. So no, QGG, not everything you put your hands on turn out a flop. :D

That hospital was one of the filthiest places I have ever been to in my entire life. It is actually now a shut down Homeless Hospital, and only the front cafeteria is used on the weekends by an AA group - they did not like us, loud, many of us looking like rock stars, tatted and pierced up, smoking cigs and yelling, some obviously baked.

Anyway, the first time I went in there, my gaffer walked us around and showed us the work. We walked down one hallway and there were actually pieces of dog doody on the floor.

We replaced light bulbs in someplaces, in others removing the old flouro fixture and replacing them with a homemade image 80 kino-flow setup. In the suspended ceiling, rat turds and dust and hidden stashes of drug needles and other paraphernalia falling down on our heads and in our hair and eyes and mouths for days as we pushed up into the tiles, running cable through that ceiling to provide hidden power for the shooting crew and powering our 16 image80 setups. We also had to have big lights inside a courtyard so we could light "Rick's" room through the window for the daylight interior shot.

The place was disgusting, and we had to redo what we did there a couple different times over the course of shooting the season, because of things that didn't work, and things they wanted to add. It will all work out great for the show, and for me, but it was gross and I hope I never have to rig that hospital again.

The Lottery Ticket was just ok, so that is so-so for the stuff I have done. The home runs are coming up.... next up will be "Hall Pass" starring Owen Wilson. It will be funny, I think huge, maybe "The Hangover" of 2011.

EDIT: Oh, and for the sake of having forgotten I never told you, and looking through the thread, Sugarloaf, the pilot I worked on, is "The Glades". If you watched the pilot, most of it was filmed in the ATL baby.

Archived