Home

Food talk as a dual solution?

Darth Avlectus

I'm not too terribly confident this will take off as a serious topic in Kavar's (Furthermore I don't want to get nuked out of there! :angel:) so I decided to bring it here first.

I was just chatting with an older friend. Apparently he thinks we could kill 2 birds with one stone:

1) We guys could save money and learn how to cook for ourselves if we had sufficient interest.

2) Alternative to dirty talking/joking that encourages wanton...err, "desire" for the ladies, etc.

How? Talking about the good old stuff. Talking about good home cooked food. He and his buddies used to talk about their family meals when they were young guys in the navy. Now most just talk dirty jokes--not that there is too terribly much wrong with that but...well, aside from constructiveness issues it consumes time and effort.

I guess it sort of makes sense if you think about it. Divert attention to any one thing long enough to gather interest and energy enough to pursue it.

Whadya thunk? Would it cut down on fast food spending and encourage home eating? Would it cut down on the sex-centricity of America?

I know it sounds kind of crazy but as a method for getting minds out of gutters, it just might work. Thoughts?

Definitely, but for some reason I'm picturing June & Ward Cleaver going over the "secret" grocery list. In truth I think it could bring married couples closer together and increase intimacy, and everyone knows a guy will get lucky with some candles, mood lighting, Barry Manilow on the record player and the right foods (chocolates, oranges, etc.) that will "inspire" the right mood :)

Not to be too serious... but I've always cooked for myself, and never been much of a dirty joker. Most of my friends are the same....

Is this where the kids are at today? Cooking is once again for Mom or your tramp-stamp?

Maybe it is a generational thing... the vast majority of guys my age really aspire to be renaissance men, even if most all of us fall tragically short of that mark. We do like dirty jokes... but who doesn't? No one I wanna spend a lot of time with...

I appreciate the innuendo joke more than the filthy dirty ones--leaves more to the imagination that way.

My son is learning how to cook. Every guy should learn how to cook, clean up after himself, and do his own laundry, and every girl should learn how to use basic power tools, all in addition to the "usual gender roles". Girls with power tools are very sexy, you know.

Barry Manilow? I grew up listening to the guy, and even I can only stand so much of him. Now, put on Chicago 17 and we're talking.

I guess in small amounts is not so bad, bu you always hear about in movies and what-not that pouring a bottle of Champagne with some Manilow is an easy way to (pardon the expression) "get into someone's pants". Personally the stylings of Elton John, Frankie Avalon, and/or Bobby Vinton work just fine for me (I'm a sucker for a soft sung melody) :)

I'm kind of 50/50 myself about this subject...

tumblr_kwaxdbvaGf1qzvnxpo1_500.jpg

Oh my gawd. The cholesterol in those things must be enough to kill a horse.

I dunno about you, but this makes me want to fornicate like crazy.

I'm sure the vegans must love you. Ehh, just, don't have a heart attack.

I thought I saw a piece of meat in between the moutntains of grease, but it was just a dull-looking bit of grease.

I know...but the even bigger mystery is how anyone actually eats all that grease in one sitting.

i've been known to set fires in apartment buildings...roasting marshmallows on candles when the power went out seemed like a good idea at the time.

Yuck. Parafin flavored marshmallows. Though lighting fire to stuff does sound pretty cool.

Not to be too serious... but I've always cooked for myself, and never been much of a dirty joker. Most of my friends are the same....

Is this where the kids are at today? Cooking is once again for Mom or your tramp-stamp?

Yeah. Hence those commercials "Without us, some guys would starve", make me laugh, not because it's a joke, but because of the ironic truth.

Maybe it is a generational thing... the vast majority of guys my age really aspire to be renaissance men, even if most all of us fall tragically short of that mark. We do like dirty jokes... but who doesn't? No one I wanna spend a lot of time with...

Renaissance mindset is always a good thing. Then again, so was my senior prank dumping steer manure all over the campus. :dev9:

I appreciate the innuendo joke more than the filthy dirty ones--leaves more to the imagination that way.

You ever heard the one of the 3 religions on a cruise boat field trip?

(PM me if you do --and I hope you're not catholic! :xp:)

<snip> Girls with power tools are very sexy, you know.

Yeas. This coming from she whom likes whips and wields swords. :dev11:

I'm qualified to run a commercial kitchen :carms:

That said, I've always been interested in cooking; I usually do the Christmas roast at home

(usually some variety of bird and some variety of red meat); but most guys don't have an interest in it; when I talk cooking it's usually with the ladies; guys just enjoy eating it ;)

I'm qualified to run a commercial kitchen :carms:

That said, I've always been interested in cooking; I usually do the Christmas roast at home

(usually some variety of bird and some variety of red meat); but most guys don't have an interest in it; when I talk cooking it's usually with the ladies; guys just enjoy eating it ;)

Funny thing is my girlfriend CAN'T cook. I mean she absolutely cannot. Kinda a major reversal from my ex wife. She was a gourmet chef. But my girlfriend can sing... my ex wife couldn't carry a tune in a bucket... with both hands and a chainfall...

But the thing is I love to cook. I always have. My ex would make fun of my attempts, so I quit trying with her. Now my girl loves trying my cooking.. and I'm especially good with fish and chicken. Good thing too, because Aida prefers seafood and chicken to steak... but she enjoys my steaks too haha.

Jae's feeling froggy tonight. :dev8:

Like Glenn, I can cook, and I'm pretty good at it. I know quite a few women my age who can't, though, which I find amusing. Regardless of gender, everyone should know how to cook. Ideally, they should also know how to kill critters and skin and dress them out as well. You never know; that skill could come in handy someday.

Archived