Home

My Problem with Call of Duty

Nickelstein

I've discovered Call of Duty when I first got my Vista. I remember downloading the demo and playing it every single day. In a mere 2 weeks I managed to know that demo in and out but I still never got bored. When I got the full game I jumped for joy. I could finally play the full experience on my PC and this would be the first PC game I ever bought (I was a console gamer for a long time). After completing the first CoD at 2 am in the morning I felt fulfilled. Then a couple of months later I played CoD2 on the 360 and it was excellent. Now you must be wondering where I going with this nostalgic ramble. With the release of MW2 there were TONS of sales and it became the one of the most successful releases of all time. However this game has brought not only sales but something that I simply groan at: Yet another reason for kids (like me) to think that the military is cool and killing people is fun and easy. I really don't have a problem with the game itself but what I do have a problem with is the seeds that it is growing. I got in an argument about Bioshock and MW2. I tried to explain why I liked it more than Call of Duty and the guy I was arguing with said it wasn't realistic. I then retorted "Neither is MW2 especially since it involves Russia invading the US" but he replied "But they hate us!". Apparently it hasn't occured to some of us that the USSR ended in 1991 and Russia is no longer our enemy or ally. We are just on good terms with them like mutual friends. We may get in a small spat or two but eventually we make up and continue with our lives. Another time the subject of MW2 sprang up again and a kid (who's dad is in the Army) said that MW2 could be the most realistic game ever made if there were no sticky grenades. I simply looked on in silent shock. Do you see what I'm getting at? I know right now my ideas seem all over the place but there is only one word that springs up when I think of this sort of stuff: stupid. Is it me or is CoD brainwashing us kids into thinking that this is what the military is really like? I don't know I guess its just me throwing ideas in the wind but I just felt the need to get this off my chest.

Stupid people will be stupid with or without Call of Duty. Having an education system that produces intelligent people capable of evaluating evidence and coming to their own conclusions is what's missing here, those reactions to CoD are merely symptoms.

Haha. The Modern Warfare games are definitely about as far fetched as it gets — surprising considering that the earlier CoD games were relatively realistic — but then it's not really any worse than various silly action movies and TV shows. It makes for good entertainment and that's about all you can expect.

Their effect on children shouldn't really be a factor as Modern Warfare 2 is rated 18. Blame the parents. ;)

I think the reason why some people think like this is because since it is set in modern times kids (like me) can better relate to it. I remember asking a friend about CoD3 (I had a vague interest in it a while back) and he replied "I dunno something about Nazis in France". Out of curiousity I asked a couple of my fellow students about WW2 (specifically D-Day) and apparently Normandy is a country. In contrast however when our gym teacher was leaving for Iraq, my friends turned into immediate experts (CoD4 had helped them well). It was suprising really, not only because of their knowledge but I also got to wear a helmet and a combat vest (bragging rights on this forum lol). It still worries me though about how MW2 is glorifying war. One level your mowing down civilians (you know to "show" the horrors of war) the next level your playing something out of a summer action flick. Also Tingler it does have sticky grenades (Semtex).

Heh, I'm surprised about the ignorance about World War 2. About 10 years ago there were pretty much constant WW2 games so any gamer ended up knowing quite a bit about it.

I guess all the big franchises like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Medal of Honor are making the transition from WW2 to modern war relatively easily because WW2 was fundamentally very similar to modern war in many ways — probably the first that was, in fact. All three of those series play/will play almost exactly the same as their WW2 predecessors, just in a different setting.

• 1 month later...
Stupid people will be stupid with or without Call of Duty. Having an education system that produces intelligent people capable of evaluating evidence and coming to their own conclusions is what's missing here, those reactions to CoD are merely symptoms.

I AGREE!!!! I hate Modern Warfare and MW2! A bunch of imature kids fighting over a video game or who spawn killed who. I hate it. And yes I agree it does promote killing and thats not what we need going through kids minds these days.

Heh, I'm surprised about the ignorance about World War 2. About 10 years ago there were pretty much constant WW2 games so any gamer ended up knowing quite a bit about it.

I guess all the big franchises like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Medal of Honor are making the transition from WW2 to modern war relatively easily because WW2 was fundamentally very similar to modern war in many ways — probably the first that was, in fact. All three of those series play/will play almost exactly the same as their WW2 predecessors, just in a different setting.

I actually learned alot about WW2 just playing Medal of Honor. I loved those games and I played them alot. Those were all the war games where like. I am kind of disapointed they made the transition to Modern Times. The new ones are kind of boaring there all the same! They could make an amazing ww2 game. Not including World at War that isnt too realistic (Nazi Zambie's? Realy? You have to be kidding me...) But just take Battlefield Bad Company 2. An amazing modern warfare game with lots of guns and explotions like all the games are like these days. amazing graphics and great controls and gameplay. But if you play single player you get a real treat. You get to see a real good look at what battlefield can do with a realistic looking WW2 game wich would look amazing. I think the old WW2 games were more about sneaking around on secret missions behind enemy lines. They can deffinatly do better with a ww2 game thane more modern warfare based games. Dont you think there are engough modern warfare games? and they need to ditch the Zombies...

Archived