Home

Final Fantasy XIII [PS3 & 360]

Meowster

opening: perhaps I will get killed for posting this, because I know there is a general concensus among WRPG fans that JRPG games cannot be good (and vice versa among jrpg fans). Here's me trying to bridge that gap.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII

The long awaited Final Fantasy XIII will soon be making it's appearance to the United States/Europe/Australia world on March 9th, 2010. The game is very similar to how Final Fantasy VI/X worked, storywise and thematically: there is a definite focus on making the game as cinematic as possible, and quite possibly having the best graphics this generation, aside from maybe Uncharted 2 (and of course the glorious Crysis). The game is very dynamic in how fighting works, in fact, it is the hardest the series has ever gone to the lengths of difficulty. It incorporates a turn-based system (known as the ATB) however you only can control one character, whilst the rest are controlled via AI. The AI use roles (similar to a Job system) and one must quickly change these during fights to take advantage of the enemy. Enemies have a break meter, which must be broken, in order for the health to go down quickly.

It features more combat than an average Final Fantasy would, but also has as much cutscenes as Metal Gear Solid 4. The game is completely character driven, and an ensemble game, rather than having one exclusive protagonist. Each member has their own chance to shine through each of the thirteen different chapters. The members being known as the woman with the codename of Lightning, Snow, Oerba Dia Vanille, Oerba Yun Fang, Sazh Katzroy, and Hope, as they all fight against fate. The main story is about 40-60 hours in and with all of the missions, etc., can be up to about 120 hours. (To all you Mass Effect fans, you might notice that Lightning is voiced by Liara.)

If you liked the pacing of FFX, in that it was very linear and story-focused, then you will surely like the game. If you are someone seeking exploration in an RPG, then chances are this RPG is not for you. Myself, I have it pre-ordered and will be getting it hand in hand with Mass Effect 2. The focus on character development and story is exactly what I mainly look for in an RPG, and surely this one will live up to it's name. What about you? What do you think of the game? The battle theme speaks enough for me.

mods, let me know if centering the videos is too much. i don't want to stretch/break other peoples layout.

I've been waiting for this game for a long time, I'm pretty excited. I just wish they had included the Japanese audio track/voices I mean I'm sure they could have found room on the Blu-ray, and another disc couldn't hurt the 360 version...

Also, that battle theme is pretty good, but it can't beat this:

perhaps I will get killed for posting this, because I know there is a general concensus among WRPG fans that JRPG games cannot be good

I don't think that's necessarily true. I rank BG2 as my all time favourite game, but I have a great fondness for JRPGs. It was really how I started out in games, playing things like Shining in the Darkness on the Megadrive/Genesis way back in the day. One of my all time faves was Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast. On the 360, I really enjoyed Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey was also fairly decent.

As far as FF goes, I only played 7, 8 and 9 back in the PSX days but I'm quite looking forward to 13. It sounds like a lot has changed since I last played a FF title, so I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

I've been waiting for this game for a long time, I'm pretty excited. I just wish they had included the Japanese audio track/voices I mean I'm sure they could have found room on the Blu-ray, and another disc couldn't hurt the 360 version...

According to the Ultimania, there is not enough room to contain the Japanese voice track because they would also have to include lip-syncing (the game was entirely made to fit the English cast in the English version) so sadly this won't happen as of now. The cast is shaping up to be my favorite voice-wise anyway. Especially Fang and Hope.

The 360 was just recently announced today to be 3 discs. How is Golden Sun? I was planning on checking it out, but never got around to it.

As far as FF goes, I only played 7, 8 and 9 back in the PSX days but I'm quite looking forward to 13. It sounds like a lot has changed since I last played a FF title, so I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

The series has changed much since then, lol. There is a lot less freedom, as the main party are a group of misfits that are wanted to be killed by everyone, so they can't exactly go from town to town. They made up for this by making it a 'story-driven' game.

Dont be shy at all Meowster, there are a few JRPG heads around. I am proudly one of LFNs obsessed Final Fanatics. Im still working through FF12 (on pc via emulator) and will one day play FFXIII on PS3. In the interim, I am getting my FF fix from Crisis Core on the PSP, which I really like ;)

mtfbwya

FF XII was one of my favourite games of recent years on the PS2, and one of the main reasons I loathe the lack of backwards-compatibility on the newer PS3s, and I am definitely looking forward to FF XIII. I've read a few small reviews complaining mainly of the 'linear' format, but I'm not sure if it meant in comparison the XII or in comparison to, as Meowster said, other RPGs. Either way, I'll give it a go. It's been my own experience that FF games rarely let you down, and I was a bit dubious about XII's innovations, only to end up playing it over again and again.

The main story is about 40-60 hours in and with all of the missions, etc., can be up to about 120 hours.

These are the sorts of games I really do not mind paying £40-£45 for. I'm a bit sick of paying for games that last anything up to 10 hours. I don't think I've ever completely finished an FF game without the aid of a guidebook - always a welcome turn of events!

So yeah, looking forward to it! :D

FF XII was one of my favourite games of recent years on the PS2, and one of the main reasons I loathe the lack of backwards-compatibility on the newer PS3s, and I am definitely looking forward to FF XIII. I've read a few small reviews complaining mainly of the 'linear' format, but I'm not sure if it meant in comparison the XII or in comparison to, as Meowster said, other RPGs. Either way, I'll give it a go. It's been my own experience that FF games rarely let you down, and I was a bit dubious about XII's innovations, only to end up playing it over again and again.
It's the most linear FF game ever. X was a bit linear, but you still could go to other places as soon as you got the airship, and XII was more likely the most freeroam FF of all time. Now XIII is linear as bamboo.

But it actually makes sense. On the game's plot, you're being followed the whole time, so this feeling of urgency strikes you. It would make no sense if you could just lay and rest and even backtrack as you wish. Same reason as to why there are no cities (but don't worry, these crowded places full of people to talk to were always better than dungeons themselves IMO. But you won't be missing them, trust me).

At any rate, if I'm not mistaken, after chapter 11, the game gets way less linear and backtracking is thus allowed.

It looks decent. I didn't like FFX, but not because it was linear--I just couldn't stand the voice acting, cutscenes, sound effects, and story. :lol: This game looks a lot better than FFX in every way.

I'll get it once the price drops to $25-$35, or when I find it at the used bookstore.

Now, I better go get a little farther in FFXII...

• 1 month later...
I saw they are selling these in Japan, maybe in US too. Ive been told we arent getting them here in Oz at this stage.

nice... though I wish the pink wasn't pink... blue would have been better.

~picsnip~

mtfbwya

That's not going anywhere outside of Japan afaik. In the US and EU regions the X360 is getting an exclusive bundle deal, meaning there will only be 360 bundles no PS3 bundles. In the US we aren't even getting a Collector's Edition of the game for the 360 or PS3 I don't think. I'm pretty sure the PAL regions have a Collector's Edition though, it comes with the soundtrack, artbook, pieces of art and a decal of some sort.

Hah. I was thinking about getting that, and then they did a complete 180 and now everything is 360. Which is just fine and dandy with me, I got a Playstation 3 in the meantime. The English version was apparently leaked (360 version) and there is currently a live stream going on.. so far, very impressed. One of Final Fantasy's best soundtracks and the voice acting is ages better than X.

Turns out that the battle system really is that hard too.

I saw they are selling these in Japan, maybe in US too. Ive been told we arent getting them here in Oz at this stage.

nice... though I wish the pink wasn't pink... blue would have been better.

ps3-slim-ff13-special-rm-eng.jpg

mtfbwya

pink is the **** get over your self-inflated sense of masculinity

crush the patriarchy :parrot::guyofwar:

That's not going anywhere outside of Japan afaik.

Well that sucks... but as it is pink, I won't lose a huge amount of sleep.

I been watching some in store demos of FFXIII and I'm really looking forward to getting it, just need a PS3 first ;)

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Ack, this is a bit of a bump, but better than starting a new topic and cluttering up the boards.

Well, I got the game (and beat it over the course of a week and a few days, since it was Spring Break). It's leaps and bounds better than what I expected it to be. Really, the reviews giving it 8/10 and such are not so much that it is lacking in anyway.. but because it aspires to be different, ironically the very antithesis of what Bioware's President had to say about JRPGs remaining stagnant. Glad to see Square Enix taking their advice. It very truly is linear. Very linear. But much less linear than Final Fantasy X, for example. It opens up even further when you make it to the second world in Chapter 11, which is basically one giant big 3D world map (similar in size to about maybe a 1/6th of Fallout 3s world) that stretches out to about five different locations. Scenary is very beautiful, and the graphics are definitely the best when it comes to console gaming (PC gaming.. definitely not when it comes to something like Crysis, but that is to be expected.) So there really isn't that much of an element of 'choice', until about 60% into the game.

Even without Nobuo Uematsu, the music in this game is absolutely fantastic. I'd even call it one of the best in the series. Ranges all over the place, from bassa nova, to jazz, to piano, to orchestra, to pop.. to even bizarre.

Story is more or less as good as Final Fantasy X. The only difference being that characters are VERY well crafted and easily some of the best in the series. The story is told through flashbacks, similar to how Lost develops it's characters, and very well done. Two characters deserve special mention: Sazh and Hope. Probably the most unlikely of them all, but they grow more than anyone and Chapter 8 is just.. amazing. All of the characters grow and start out hating each other and slowly begin to bond and unite as one. No one is truly left behind as is common in many Final Fantasy (such as Red XIII, Quistis, Quina, Kimahri, etc.).

It is definitely the hardest RPG I have ever played outside of the Persona series. Instead of relying on button mashing, you have to use strategy. Very flawless game and very beautiful to look at. Already selling 4 million by now, it's worth a buy if you wanted any clarification. Now I just need to get Mass Effect 2..

pink is the **** get over your self-inflated sense of masculinity

calm down jmac. Pink isnt the entire issue - it's that very light musk pink. If it was a distinctive fuschia or hot pink, no problem - it would be nice and prominent on the white background. As it is, you can barely make out the picture on it :thmbup1:

@Meowster - Thanks for your review. I'd love to be playing right now! As much as I love BioWare I don't get the gripe/swipe with linear gameplay.

Just because you can trot off on smallish side-quests and have a more varied choice in your team still doesn't mean that outcomes are not predetermined in a game like Mass Effect. I'm sure there are some random elements in how things play out in ME and FF, and theres alot that is scripted one way or the the other - The fact that the games are on a limited media(disc) and actors have had to do the voice parts, and that matched to animations means that you'll always be going in a certain direction. = Linear. eg, in ME, wouldn't you like to take Shepard outside the galaxy, to conquer/recruit an adjacent galaxy's worlds and their fleets and then come back and tear up the milky way and that douchebag sovereign.

Nope, you have your little team, their gripes are the same each time you play, as weapon upgrades and their effects etc. (which is much more diverse in jRPGs)

They both can be fun, and that's what matters - the constant whineage US/UK devs have for jRPGs likely stems from the fact that they haven't been able to penetrate the Japanese market in any significant manner.

Personal Preference FTW \o/ :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm on Chapter 12 out of 13 so I'm almost there. I'm pretty much loving it, but it is very different from what you'd expect from a traditional Final Fantasy numbered game. I think the thing that is the most disappointing for me is that there's none of those classic mini-games. FF7 had the Gold Saucer and chocobo racing, FF10 had Blitzball (which has to be one of the funnest mini-games ever), but we get nothing with FFXIII so it's just a bit sad.

Also the game is far more difficult then its predecessors and the curve is harsh. You can pretty much cruise through the first 8 1/2 chapters with few challenging hiccups, but once you get past a certain point it's like you just ran into a mountain. The way the level-up system works you can't just power-level your way past the challenge either.

I didn't have a problem with the "linearity" either as if you play the game you'll see that it fits the story. The one issue I had was that the beginning of the game feels a bit slow and like a slog. I'm looking forward to playing through the rest of the story, as soon as I muster the courage to continue playing.

Also; Shameless Final Fantasy 13 plug...

...but once you get past a certain point it's like you just ran into a mountain....

I remember encountering this in FFX - Yunalesca used to kick my a$$ for some reason, and each time I faced her it took me over an hour... I didn't have internet access back then so couldn't get a walkthrough tip like you can these days. Got past it in the end though \o/

Shameless Plug

Do not advertise other websites. Please do not make posts or threads about other websites or forums in an effort to direct traffic to them. This generally is not acceptable on any of the forums here. You may include links in your signature but you may not advertise in your posts

Just because Lynk is a chocolate god skypeposse ruffian doesnt mean he is immune to this. Our sig links should suffice to promote our other projects :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

I've just pruned this thread. Pro-tip: staff and long-term members are not above receiving infractions if they continue in this behavior. Astro, if you have an issue with moderation, take it to PMs. No more public griping. Det. Bart, don't flamebait. These are your only warnings on this matter.

Thank you Jae. Understood! Now we can get back on topic.

I was eying an older 'George foreman Grill' PS3 today, it was sold preowned/cheap and is the version that can play PS2 games - which I'd like to do with FF12. As much as I like the look of the ps3 slim, taking out backwards compatibility was a low blow to those of us that are fond of the odd PS2 game... the Devil May Cry series, FF7-XII and the Snowblind/Forgotten Realms hack'n'slashers are still great fun, with not all of these working on an emulator.

cheeky buggers @ Sony :(

mtfbwya

As much as I like the look of the ps3 slim, taking out backwards compatibility was a low blow to those of us that are fond of the odd PS2 game... the Devil May Cry series, FF7-XII and the Snowblind/Forgotten Realms hack'n'slashers are still great fun, with not all of these working on an emulator.
If it's any consolation, you can still play FF7-9 on any PS3 or any original PS era game for that matter.

Any console can play any PS1 era disc game, or any of the PS1 downloadables available on the PSN. PS2 backwards compatibility is restricted to the launch 60GB versions of the consoles in which the actual EE chip from the PS2 is inside the machine and select 80GB versions which does PS2 emulation with about 97% of games working, or some jazz like that.

Anyway, back OT so I don't derail too much; I got to the point in FFXIII where they do their usual "no turning back beyond this point" so I decided to do a bit more exploring though I'm pretty sure I could probably beat the main story right now.

It is a good idea to start doing a little bit of missions on Gran Pulse.. but be advised not to invest so much time and do a majority of the missions, as they will make the final bosses seem like pushovers. The themes for the PS3 edition are great- using the Sazh one at the moment. Don't know about the 360 icons, as of yet.

To Mav:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Have you made it to Oerba yet? It's one of my favorite locations in the game, and the music is absolutely beautiful. One of my favorites in the game.

A bit surprising is that apparently, the game is the best selling launch for a FF yet.. with 2 million in Japan, 1 million in the United States, and around 700k in the EU, all on each of their first weeks respectively. Because of this, Kitase and Toriyama want to make FFXIII-2.. here's to hoping it's not another X-2. Also, in another bit of strange news, Toriyama and Kitase want to incorporate QTEs into the next Final Fantasy.. similar to how Uncharted uses them. The article described them using this in a battle by jumping back and forth off of dragons, etc. Sounds pretty nifty.

Be advised, Astro, that the later models have recently suffered a major blackout at the beginning of this month. All trophy collections were deleted if handled wrongly, no connection to the internet, etc. This was thankfully fixed, but just a bit of a warning.

It is a good idea to start doing a little bit of missions on Gran Pulse.. but be advised not to invest so much time and do a majority of the missions, as they will make the final bosses seem like pushovers. The themes for the PS3 edition are great- using the Sazh one at the moment. Don't know about the 360 icons, as of yet.

To Mav:

Show spoiler
Have you made it to Oerba yet? It's one of my favorite locations in the game, and the music is absolutely beautiful. One of my favorites in the game.

A bit surprising is that apparently, the game is the best selling launch for a FF yet.. with 2 million in Japan, 1 million in the United States, and around 700k in the EU, all on each of their first weeks respectively. Because of this, Kitase and Toriyama want to make FFXIII-2.. here's to hoping it's not another X-2. Also, in another bit of strange news, Toriyama and Kitase want to incorporate QTEs into the next Final Fantasy.. similar to how Uncharted uses them. The article described them using this in a battle by jumping back and forth off of dragons, etc. Sounds pretty nifty.

Be advised, Astro, that the later models have recently suffered a major blackout at the beginning of this month. All trophy collections were deleted if handled wrongly, no connection to the internet, etc. This was thankfully fixed, but just a bit of a warning.

Actually the trophy collection thing wasn't a total loss you just loss trophies that weren't synced to your PSN account on Sony's server already. Also I think you mean earlier versions of the console the "George Foreman Grill" versions were affected, not the PS3 Slim. I think the issue had something to do with the calendar/internal clock of the older PS3's though and I don't expect it to be an issue in the future, it was also surprising how fast Sony fixed it, considering they are well... Sony.

@Meowster

Show spoiler
Yeah Oerba had some good music and I loved the little Bhakti side quest that little robot is awesome, but most of the time I was preoccupied surviving encounters with the Vetala XD. I actually got to the "no way back" point in Chapter 13, but decided to do a few hunts and just explore a bit of Gran Pulse before I finished. I'm probably going to finish the story later tonight or tomorrow since you can still explore after the final story battle. My favorite part so far is the cutscene when you enter Eden from Pulse and you interupt their race/parade, that was an epic cutscene.

Also I thought the general layout and gameplay of FFX-2 was pretty awesome, but the story was pretty obvious fan service so it wasn't very exciting that being said I still enjoyed it. I guess I wouldn't mind QTE's too much as long as they don't go overboard with it.

Archived