Home

Final Fantasy XIII [PS3 & 360]

Meowster

I've played through chapter 3 so far, I really hope it picks up, as I'm still completely uninterested in the story and I don't feel attached to the characters so far (except for Sazh). One thing that never fails to irk me is the datalog: It seems like the game is trying to be a novel and movie at the same time. The datalog would say something like "blabla character is extremely angered by this motion and wants to do blabla," yet the cutscene or what I've seen from the character so far suggests nothing like the emotions described.

I've played through chapter 3 so far, I really hope it picks up, as I'm still completely uninterested in the story and I don't feel attached to the characters so far (except for Sazh). One thing that never fails to irk me is the datalog: It seems like the game is trying to be a novel and movie at the same time. The datalog would say something like "blabla character is extremely angered by this motion and wants to do blabla," yet the cutscene or what I've seen from the character so far suggests nothing like the emotions described.

Chapter 3 is where the story picks up, and the Paradigm Shift is introduced. It takes a bit of time to get used to the pacing: at first it will seem extremely easy, but as the chapters go on, it gets increasingly harder and harder. Chapter 4 is, indeed, the worst in the game. I still like it though.. just the setting is very bleak. Once you are past there, the game just skyrockets into a fun and fantastic game. Particularly Chapters 7, 8, 11 (and the beginning of 12) are my personal favorites. 8 especially. I myself love the datalog.. especially later on when it tells you about Pulse's mythology and such.

Yes, I meant to say earlier.. lol. Wasn't paying attention to what I was typing.

@Mav

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Oh yes, that cutscene = amazing! Really gorgeous and just all over the place. The sidequests really branch out; for example, once you do mission 14 you can ride Chocobos: and once you get Chocobos, eventually you can do the Fal'Cie Titan's gauntlet, which is much more fun than I would have thought. As much as I enjoy this game, which I really do, I can find a couple of faults or two.. mainly Jihl Nabaat and Cid Raines. What wastes of people that had potential to be amazing characters. Yaag was pretty cool, and I love Barthandelous mostly because of that gorgeous latin song that plays whenever you fight him.

@Mav

Show spoiler
Oh yes, that cutscene = amazing! Really gorgeous and just all over the place. The sidequests really branch out; for example, once you do mission 14 you can ride Chocobos: and once you get Chocobos, eventually you can do the Fal'Cie Titan's gauntlet, which is much more fun than I would have thought. As much as I enjoy this game, which I really do, I can find a couple of faults or two.. mainly Jihl Nabaat and Cid Raines. What wastes of people that had potential to be amazing characters. Yaag was pretty cool, and I love Barthandelous mostly because of that gorgeous latin song that plays whenever you fight him.
Show spoiler
I just finished the game, I rather enjoyed the ending it was pretty convenient how Fang and Vanille ended as crystals so they're neither dead nor alive. I did do the hunts up to the point where I got to ride chocobos because I figured that would make traveling end-game a lot easier XD. I'm rather looking forward to doing all the extras though I still wish there were some sort of light-hearted mini-game ala FFVII's Golden Saucer or FFX's Blitzball. I do agree that Jihl Nabaat was criminally underused for a supposedly key character. I thought Cid Raines got his dues though and his boss battle was pretty fun. Rosch was pretty awesome too. I kind of thought that the end-story boss battle was a bit underwhelming, I wouldn't have even felt any pressure at all if it weren't for the Doom counter. I know they were talking about doing a FFXIII-2 it would be interesting to see how they'd steer that I mean aside from Fang and Vanille who may or may not have lost their brands the rest of them did and it was their brands that allowed them to use magic. Also the ending had the epic logo reveal that was pretty awesome. Oh that brings up another point the way they made it look at the end is as if Fang and Vanille are crystalized in the column holding up Cocoon, so I wonder what would happen if they de-crystalized.

Archived