Home

Mass Effect playing styles

Totenkopf

Giving the first game another runthrough before getting ME2 and was wondering which armors and weapons people liked the best in that game. Also, which armors work best in the hazard areas (heat/cold/pressure/etc.)? Which, if any of them, allow you operate outside of the Mako w/o dying in fairly short order?

For ME1, there really isn't much choice for armor or weapons. The Colossus armor and the Master Spectre gear were far and away the best, and if you played either a Soldier or an Infiltrator, you were invincible, courtesy of Immunity. Only the Devlon series of armors let you operate in Level 1 hazard areas without issue, but they are very inferior to the Colossus, not worth it IMO. No armor lets you operate in Level 2 hazard areas forever, but then again, only two planets had that.

- Star Admiral

• 2 weeks later...
I'm playing through ME for the first time, and all the armours apart from the default N7 medium armour just look ugly, at least so far.

Same here.. but they tend to get 'somewhat' better. Landed some medium Mercenary VII armor yesterday and it's pretty stylish.

Blood red, and more of a banded piecemail than the other plastic-addon armors thus far :xp:

Just realized also that VII and higher gives more upgrade slots (armor & weaponry).. so that was a nice surprise. Albeit now I'm starting to feel like a 'super' character. Besides biotic attacks (I :swear: hate stasis) I pretty much brush off any type of physical/toxic/balistics damage. And this is just at Lvl 36+ :eek:

Yeah, I just acquired Mercenary IV armour. I'm actually using it because I can actually tolerate the look. Can you get upgraded versions of the N7 Onyx armour?

Off-Topic: Do romances in ME1 affect ME2? Right now I think Ashley is trying to get into my pants, but I want to know if there are hotter chicks in ME2 to hold out for. :D

Off-Topic: Do romances in ME1 affect ME2? Right now I think Ashley is trying to get into my pants, but I want to know if there are hotter chicks in ME2 to hold out for. :D
You can have both if you don't mind cheating on your ME1 love interest. There is even “sort of" one that does not count as cheating. The real question is if cheating on ME1 love interest in ME2 will really affect M3.

Personally, I would play ME1 without any real concern on how it will affect ME2 and/or ME3. More fun that way.

FWIW the love scenes in ME1 are done better in ME1 than ME2. Although the scenes in ME2 offers way more variety.

I honestly went through the entire game with default armor, and I kicked ass. It doesn't offer much protection but Shep is a bad ass so why use godly armor?
With class-related perks, high-level upgrades, and a modicum of common sense (i.e. using cover well), you really don't need anything other than Onyx armor (though I'll take X over I and not feel guilty about it).

FWIW the love scenes in ME1 are done better in ME1 than ME2. Although the scenes in ME2 offers way more variety.

Is your avatar an inkling? :raise:

Because I desperately wanted to romance Tali in ME but found out she was not an option. :(

If you're toying with my heart strings, a kick to your jollies is coming :devsmoke:

NO SPOILERS PLEASE! just a nod yes/no will suffice. I'll have trouble enough suppressing the 'Search YouTube' urge.. hehehe

I have ME2 waiting, however I'm currently playing my ME1 Shepard 'import' for it. A possible Tali romance may just make me question my current romance path... :indif:

The Commando specialty gets bonuses to overall damage as well as a cool-down reduction to the pistol Marksman skill, and the sniper rifle Assassination skill. The Shock Trooper on the other hand, gets a cool-down reduction for the Adrenaline Rush skill (which instantly "refreshes" the other skills) and a bonus to overall health. Both Specialties get a cool-down reduction to the Immunity skill, the one that lets you soak up more damage.

So the question is, do you really use pistols and sniper rifles that much? As a Soldier you shouldn't really be using the pistol at all when you can just use the assault rifle. While the sniper rifle itself is a pretty niche weapon where the cool-down reduction for the Assassination skill really wouldn't come into play that often. So the only other differentiating factor would be the bonus to damage vs. bonus to health. As a soldier you're really supposed to be kind of a meat shield for your squad mates but it does sort of depend on who you bring with you when it comes to whether or not you need that extra damage output yourself. Honestly it doesn't make that significant a difference.

So if you were to ask me, I'd say Shock trooper is the clear winner. The bonus to health isn't really that great, but the cool-down reduction to Adrenaline Rush lets you refresh all your skills more often, including your assault rifle skill which you would probably be using more than your pistol and sniper skills.

I ask stoffe whatever she uses and go with that, since she and I have similar play styles (do all the side quests, hate dying with a passion, see as many of the different aspects of the game as possible). Of course, this usually means modding the heck out of the game, but hey, it's fun.

• 4 weeks later...
Kaidan! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sorry dude. I feel bad about the whole thing.

This game is great.

:lol:

Sweet. You got to the good point (one of many that is). hehehe

Got to say, when the game forced my hand, it left me sitting there for a few minutes just having to deal with the decision.

Kept waiting for the (non-existent) "surprise! we're not "really" going to make you make that kind of decision"...

Bravo (ME) for making us stick with the hard decisions too :golfclap:

Got to say, when the game forced my hand, it left me sitting there for a few minutes just having to deal with the decision.

Kept waiting for the (non-existent) "surprise! we're not "really" going to make you make that kind of decision"...

Just a shame that there wasn't any "Kaidan arm the bomb, Ashley guard him" option to make them both stay behind, given...

(mild Mass Effect 2 spoiler)

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
... the Lawful Stupid way they behave on Horizon when you meet them again in Mass Effect 2. That annoyed me more than being forced to sacrifice one of them in ME1 :)

:devsmoke:

Archived