Home

Clone Wars: Degrading the good Mandalorian Name

Ghost

Not exactly, Mandos envisioned by Obsidian had more common sense then that. In K1 all Mandos apparently attacked on sight, but in K2 they didn't. When the Exile met the mandos, they held their fire. In K1, they wouldn't have done that.

You won't be proving your point like that. That's one of the possible scenarios in the game, in other, they will simply try shoot you dead, in the good old mando style.

I suppose you could say the mandalorians under Canderous (Mandalore) are a completely different animal. But that too would be a long shot, since the "New Mandalorians":

1. Still follow the same code, apparently.

2. Are composed of many "Old Mandalorians", with the mindset from the old times and all.

3. We don't know how successful whatever Canderous was trying to do was.

By that last point, it does seem unlikely he can maintain control of the Mandalorian bunch when he's travelling with the Exile and company to the Unknown Regions. It's likely and safer to assume a new Mandalore just stepped up, as interim first, maybe, but as time passed and Canderous did not make it back, they had a new leader for good.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, Canderous lead the Mandos after the Exile departed

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Kreia says so in the End of Kotor that he will preserve the idea of Mandalorian or something like that

Hmm, let me see. If you watched the episode you would have seen the DeathWatch assasin who created that bomb in the streets jumped off the ledge to kill himself. Also the Duchess informs Obi-Wan that their DeathWatch merc that they captured took his own life. In K2, I never saw anything that hinted suicide for the Mandalorians, unless I missed something.

Didn't you play Canderous' side quest in K1? Jagi commits suicide to cleans his honor.

The only Mandalorian group that retained the attitude that everyone is talking about in this thread is the Death Watch.

The New Mandalorians separated themselves from Mandalorian culture by refusing to defend themselves, not following Mand'alor, and not wearing armor.

The True Mandalorians (the ones everyone loves) wore the armor, spoke the language, defended themselves, rallied to Mand'alor, and protected their families.

The best of the True Mandalorians were the members of Clan Skirata. They did what was necessary to protect the clan, never committing any uncalled for killing (as in, not senselessly murdering innocents). They separated themselves from the savage ways of the (Neo-)Crusaders and Death Watch, but not to the point where they became pacifist dar'Manda. They wore the armor proudly, letting the galaxy know that they were Mando'ade and proud of it.

The Mandalorian honor code has nothing against losing to a superior opponent.

Even the savage Canderous agrees:

"You defeated the Mandalore clans in the war, Revan. You were the only one in the galaxy who could best us. We had never met one like you before, and never since. How can you even ask if I'll follow you? Whatever you are fighting, it will be worthy of my skill. I'm your man until the end, Revan, no matter how this plays out."

Sounds a bit like he was proud to be serving under the one that beat them, not angry because he stole their honor.

What most of you are doing is blaming all the Mandalorians except the pacifist dar'Manda for the actions of the few Death Watch and Mandalorian Wars era mandos.

My friends and I have agreed that she was ashamed of Jango Fett's choice to become a Bounty Hunter instead of being -a stupid pacifist- like the "New Mandalorians".

Jango Fett WAS a Fett (a clan of Mandalorians) who was on Concord Dawn when the Death Watch raided his home, and he went and became adopted by the leader of the True Mandalorians (I forgot his name). After the Mandalorian Civil War, he became the bounty hunter he was until ep2.

But wait, they disregarded canon in that episode by saying "Jango Fett was a common bounty hunter, nothing more."

Even if Jango Fett wasn't just a bounty hunter, how does it conflict with canon to havean in-universe character express that in-universe opinion?

Actually, Canderous lead the Mandos after the Exile departed

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Kreia says so in the End of Kotor that he will preserve the idea of Mandalorian or something like that

Not really. She does comment on Canderous future, but what she says on him does not include the mandos. The exact quote is:

"Many battles does that one have left in him... as Revan intended. A general needs an army, as he needs those he trusts. And Canderous is a loyal beast, no matter how much he is broken upon Revan's will."

As such, Canderous loyalty to Revan surpasses that of his duty as the Mandalore. It does not seem unlikely that he forego his people once again to do his/her bidding.

She then proceeds to brief the Exile on the mandalorians future specifically. Her words, as you'll see, are cloudy, cryptic and even uncertain.

"Perhaps there will be no new age, Mandalore, no great Mandalorian crusade. Perhaps your people fought their last battle at Malachor V, and you have been dying ever since, a quiet death that will last centuries. And perhaps all that remains will be what I see before me: a man, wounded by a Jedi, encased in a Mandalorian shell, haunted by the thought of being the last of the Mandalorians."

"They will die a death that will last millennia, until all that remains is their code, their history, and in the end, the shell of their armor upon the shell of a man, too easily slain by Jedi."

Sounds a bit like he was proud to be serving under the one that beat them' date=' not angry because he stole their honor.[/quote']What does that accomplish, in the end? If Revan decides to cast aside his morals and ethic and start mass murdering as the mandalorians, Canderous would still be alongside him, that's what he's saying.

I partially agree. While Canderous would follow Revan anywhere he went, he still had a priority of rebuilding the Mandalorians, as he stated in the game. He said that he would restore the Mandalore clans while following the Exile in his/her journeys

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/starwars/index.html

:ugh:

Ugh, this latest clone wars makes me want to puke. LucasFilm apparently turned the Mandalorians into peace-loving idiots, completely or no-honour raiders, ruining the whole Mandalorian Name.

No, they didn't. They simply created a new Mandalorian faction called "New Mandalorian".

Jango?? wha-?

WHAT DID THEY DO

Nothing, really.

Saying Jango isn't a Mando is like saying Darth Vader isn't a sith, because he's not a Red skinned humanoid from Ziost. Until this episode Jango was as much a Mandalorian as anyone, even though he was adopted, in fact adoption is a big part of Mando Culture, Orphaned by the battlefield etc. my Main Problem is, they are changing stuff for no reason IMO.

They haven't changed nothing. So, you believe in a guy who belongs to a pacifist faction, and doesn't want to connect Mandalorians to warriors?

This same guy said that those who followed the traditional warrior way were exiled to Concordia and died years ago. Guess he was wrong...

I feel this childish crap goes against everything that what made Star Wars great. The original and prequel movies.

This tv series is as childish as any movie of the saga.

Boba Fett was a badass bounty hunter in the movie. Not a peace-loving hippie.

Sorry, but I feel Star Wars is going bad...very bad.

I hope this 'real action' tv series will do something good :(

But he's not a peace-loving hippie.

How about we all just agree the TCW f***ed EVERYTHING that is not related directly to the Clone Wars.

That's not true, at all.

And what about them trying to make the show appeal to older audiences? That is definately not happening...

Come again? Are we talking about the same show?

The show was made for younger audiences, I guess we'll have to accept that, but I would like it to be a little more expanded on its age group focus

The Star Wars movies were made for younger audiences too. And I think they're already expanding the target age.

They haven't thrown it all away. This is *one* group of Mandalorians who don't follow this hallowed 'code of honour', while there are other groups who do.

Precisely.

I lol'd.

Me too.

The harsh truth about all this is people need to remember that Star Wars was originally George Lucas' vision and that means he has a right to do whatever he wants with it.

I like, this quote. Guess what name pops up, first on all of the credits in every episode? <---(rhetorical) George Lucas is the Creator and Executive Producer meaning he hires the writers, the actors, and the staff and crew oh and signs off on what he does and does not like from their scripts.

You can argue Expanded Universe mandalorians all you want to, but Lucas has a pattern of ignoring a few of those concepts and coming up with his own vision of how this would happen.

Also, you are trying to put 4,000 year-old concepts into the modern Clone Wars, that is just not going to happen.

Someone said, something about the current Jedi Order kicking the Mandalorian butts way back, that was a paraphrase from an article in Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary

Yeah, before TPM they were getting their asses served to them. Still, I would have liked it if their civilization didn't throw away their skills entirely, maybe use it for something good. The complete Pacifist idea could have been different. The Mandos still could have been a little peaceful, but still hold to their history, with a modified culture

Bad in originality, bad in ideas, bad in character personalization.

I think it's good in all of that.

Ahsoka being one of that

Actually, I'm impressed how the character has evolved so far. And I was one of those who hated it when she appeared as Anakin's padawan...

Ahsoka was OK when I first started watching the show. I didn't think that a 13 year old togruta added much to the show/movie, but the character has kinda grown on me. Sure she gets annoying sometimes, but she reminds me alot of Anakin when he was that age and even older! I was kinda upset that the Mandalorians didn't attack Mandalore in last night's episode though.

Ahsoka was OK when I first started watching the show. I didn't think that a 13 year old togruta added much to the show/movie, but the character has kinda grown on me. Sure she gets annoying sometimes, but she reminds me alot of Anakin when he was that age and even older!

Aside from that, I still don't see where's the bad originality, bad ideas, and bad character personalization...

I was kinda upset that the Mandalorians didn't attack Mandalore in last night's episode though.

If they did that, then the mandalorian people would be against them. Besides, as Dooku mentioned, they could only hold the planet for a day.

But its not like Dutchess Satine would have let the clones occupy her home world! Who would fight back?

Didn't you get what was happening on the Senate? It was not up to Satine to decide if the Republic would let the Republic occupy Mandalore or not...

You have to remember that the Republic during that time included Mandalore, so by treaty she would have been resigned to do whatever the senate decided. That was why getting that disk was so important. She had to prove the the senate that sending in the Amazing clone army was playing right into the Death Watch's plot to take Mandalore. Yes, the clones + Jedi would probably ruin the Death Watch unless they had Seperatist support, but the point is that the people would think of them as an occupying force causing unrest. The message also said the people had been training for the Death Watch attack for some time, now.

Bad in what sense?

The Clone Wars... I mean How much Coverage does this 3 year period need? I got a face full (Good face full) from Dark Horse Comics, Del rey Books and LucasArts Games, between 2002-2005. The Characters are so one dimensional and It seems like there is very little happening in each episode, the Animation is world Class but it is Soulless... But, My Main Problem is how the EU (My Favorite part of Current Star Wars) feels it must retcon and reshape itself to adhere to this rhubarb?! Most of the people who's EU is being Screwed don't even watch the Clone Wars.

Bad Points:

Flat, infantile Stories and Characters.

Overused era and Characters

Borrowed and Butchered Themes and events (ie; Vizla, Concord Dawn, Open Seasons, the Death Watch)

Anakin Has a Padawan

Gay Hutts

George Lucas

Good Points:

Animation is High Quality

I was gonna continue the discussion, but...

Guess I lied lol :)

The Clone Wars... I mean How much Coverage does this 3 year period need? I got a face full (Good face full) from Dark Horse Comics, Del rey Books and LucasArts Games, between 2002-2005. The Characters are so one dimensional and It seems like there is very little happening in each episode, the Animation is world Class but it is Soulless... But, My Main Problem is how the EU (My Favorite part of Current Star Wars) feels it must retcon and reshape itself to adhere to this rhubarb?! Most of the people who's EU is being Screwed don't even watch the Clone Wars.

Its sad to think, but really all the EU is moderate quality fanfiction. The original story and universe belongs to George, and everything beyond the 6 movie timeline is fanfiction based on his universe.

While its annoying, I understand why he does it. If I ever put a universe together, I'd like to stick with how I envision the universe and how I envision the characters. While the EU has to bend to George, don't you think its equally unfair for George to bend his original works to satisfy what essentially amounts to a bunch of fanfic writers/readers?

It sucks... but knowing what we know about George I'd say its a fools game to try to write Canon anywhere near his storyline. That is not to say even the fanfic writers can't screw up *cough* Bioware *cough*, but the readers/writers should know going in that everything is fan mold for the original artist to mold as he so chooses. Obsidian learned this the hard way considering their story just got retconned out by Bioware.

It sucks, but in his place I'd probably do the same. Hell, if I had anywhere near his level of power in that story I'd retcon a hell of a lot.

Archived