Home

just finished the thrawn trilogy and want recommendations

dude1

After the Thrawn trilogy? I've always said that it's best to read nothing else after the Thrawn trilogy.

I disagree!

There's lots of great stuff, and some not so great of course :)

Ive always recommended that anyone who really likes TTT should check out their comics adaptation....awesome stuff.

After that, I'd get started on the X-Wing Series.

mtfbwya

Some I liked best:

Han Solo at Stars' End by Brian Daley

Han Solo's Revenge by Brian Daley

Han Solo and the Lost Legacy by Brian Daley

The X-Wing series

I, Jedi

Spectre of the Past

Vision of the Future

Any of the "Tales of the..." books

The Mandalorian Armor by K.W. Jeter

Slave Ship by K.W. Jeter

Hard Merchandise by K.W. Jeter

Splinter of the Mind's Eye (very early EU)

The Dark Forces Trilogy by Dietz (I <3 Kyle)

Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu by L. Neil Smith

Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon by L. Neil Smith

Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka by L. Neil Smith

The Paradise Snare by A.C. Crispin

The Hutt Gambit by A.C. Crispin

Rebel Dawn by A.C. Crispin

And of course the Thrawn trilogy, which is my favorite. Haven't seen a better Imperial character than Pellaeon in any of the EU... and of course, Mara. <3

If you were wondering why there are no NJO-onwards books on the list, it's because I really dislike the NJO, its mother, its father, and all of its progeny. Actually, I only seem to like books from a very limited range in the timeline centered around the OT, so I might just be snobbish.

And of course the Thrawn trilogy, which is my favorite. Haven't seen a better Imperial character than Pellaeon in any of the EU... and of course, Mara. <3

Captain Pellaeon was the only reason I kept reading through some of the NJO and later, LOTF books. His (and Mara's) death in LOTF is another reason I despise Karen Traviss, and it put me off reading any of the later books (i've tried reading the most recent series, but I like it at all.)

Although the NJO isn't the best series, there are a few gems in it - and the Legacy comic series (130 ABY) is pretty good.

I have the collected (huge) Thrawn Trilogy. Awesome read. Just a new trilogy, that well written.

Anwyay, I'm no collector but I liked Rogue Planet. Describes Anakins first step into darkness, Obi-Wans first step into awesomeness and links into the Vong books.

Oh, don't worry, I've read more or less most of the NJO. I just dislike it. To be fair I haven't read the Legacy books but from what I read I just don't want to. I haven't read any of the comics either, besides the adaptations of the Thrawn Trilogy. I'll have to find some big collections of them eventually.

I think I agree with Prime on this. The X-Wing Series are a great read, with great characters, new and old. If you're willing to jump a few years into the timeline, Zahn wrote a followup to the Thrawn Trilogy, the Thrawn Duology. The books Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future continue storylines started in the trilogy, and while they are not as good as the Trilogy, they are a satisfying read.

The Thrawn trilogy is by far one of the best parts of the EU, but there are other must-reads out there as well.

Then theres individual books like "Truce at Bakura" that are good.

If you are interested in in-depth long novels, pretty much anything by Timothy Zahn, or the Bane series would be good.

If you want short stuff thats still good, theres the Boba Fett-Teenage years books, theres the Apprentice ones about Obi-Aan under Qui-Gon, and theres always The Old Republic comics.....

Actually, if reading TTT has got you hankering for more Thrawn, you really should fill in that background story that gets hinted at through most of TTT.

Outboundflightfrontcover.jpeg

Zahn has always said there is a Thrawn 'Septology' of sorts.

Outbound Flight>>TTT>Thrawn Duology(Spectre of The Past/Vision of The Future)>>Survivors Quest

mtfbwya

I mainly recommended the X-Wing series because it is around the same point in the timeline as the Thrawn trilogy. If we are talking about any era, one I enjoyed was Cloan of Deception. It covers events leading up to TPM. It has a lot of background info that I enjoyed, included why the Trade Federation had a droid army, and so on. It has a far amount of politics, but I enjoyed that part. It also has a lot of Jinn and Kenobi. Frankly, I can always use more Jinn.

• 6 months later...

Hi Thrawn freaks!

Some 2 years ago in my desperation that i might never see this great SW piece on screen I created a powerpoint presentation of the whole Thrawn trilogy by cutting up the comic books and the corresponding audio books just for myself as a substitution for the movies I wish for so badly. I am well aware that this is a copyright violation but I guess but...what the hack! If anybody wants it or has the nerv to sit through cca. 9 hrs of Thrawn trilogy .pps ask me for sharing it here .....Thuulou@zoznam.sk.....oh yes and with detailed instruction how to do so cos I am kinda new to this. So far in my life all my wishes have come true sooner or later mostly after I stopped caring about them so the odds for me look favourable that someone sometime will actually film this excellent story for all strawars fans to see....I hope for this wery strongly. I wouldnt even care if Mr. Lucas had nothing to do with it....might also do some good....who knows?

Any book that has Zahn or Stackpole's name on it. NJO....I'm kind of split on it. But like Astor said, there are a few gems - Destiny's Way is actually among my favorite books. I wouldn't recommend Traviss; she pretty much portrays the Jedi as Nazis for no reason. She also likes to compare fans who disagree with her to the Taliban, which is another reason why I do not like her.

• 3 months later...
Any book that has Zahn or Stackpole's name on it. NJO....I'm kind of split on it. But like Astor said, there are a few gems - Destiny's Way is actually among my favorite books. I wouldn't recommend Traviss; she pretty much portrays the Jedi as Nazis for no reason. She also likes to compare fans who disagree with her to the Taliban, which is another reason why I do not like her.

Just to clarify, Traviss compares Kaminoans to the Nazis. She portrays the Jedi as their ignorant cronies and the unwitting victims of Palpatine. Of course most of her characters have an irrational hatred of Jedi... -and she has a penchant for killing off main characters-

Also Timmothy Zahn has some other books he wrote that were centered on a young Mara Jade and some defecting stormtroopers. Though it wasn't anywhere near the pedigree of the Thrawn trilogy, it was still more well written than most Star Wars books.

I also recommend the three book story arc of The Mandalorian Armor, Slave ship, and Hard Merchandise by Jeter. They are the best perspective given on how Boba Fett operates -and how he's the best there is- I digress

The Truce at Bakura is also a great standalone story of the rebel alliance after the fourth movie.

Of course, the Knights of the Old Republic comics are very well written and they look phenomenal.

I also recommend the Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno. It gives some great perspective on what happened immediately after episode three.

In my opinion, Stackpole's books are a bit of a longer read than Zahns, and can get a bit slower in plot progression. ( I know, BITE YOUR TONGUE!) I just figure it would be worth mentioning since Zahn really knows how to keep even the most mundane part of a story interesting more so than any author that I've read.

Of course, once you get into them, Stackpole's books are filled with intrigue and revelations. (with some action sprinkled in)

Archived